Famicom buzzing noise help (found issue but no idea how to fix)

Started by Mudammir, May 27, 2022, 09:57:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudammir

Hey everyone,

I got a AV modified Famicom on eBay a few days ago and after starting it, I hear a very loud buzzing.
After reading online, I opened up the second controller and cleaned around the microphone slider but that did not fix the issue. I left it apart and turned on the console and played around the slider with my hand.

If I hold my finger in one place (the one shown in the attached pic) the buzzing becomes very minimal. I don't really plan on using the mic so is there a way to make this "touch" permenant?
You cannot see attachments on this board.

One other thing that I tried is completely removing the mic but that didn't fix anything.
I also tried holding the mic in place and that reduced the buzzing similar to the finger hold. Could it just be the capacitor? If so, what value can you recommend? I have a 0.22 uF and a 0.47 uF, but no 0.33uF.

Can anyone advice me on what could be done to fix this buzzing?

Thanks a lot for taking your time to read this!

Mudammir

So I opened up the console and disconnected the controller internally and the sound was completely gone. Is there anyway to diconnect the mic while keeping the mic connected?

Mudammir

Another update for anyone that comes accross the issue, you can just desolder the MIC wire (Brows in my case) and then just electric tape it so you don't cause any accidental shorts. This completely removed the humming/buzzing noise!

FAMICOM_87

I repurposed the TV/GAME switch on the back to switch the MIC ON or OFF :)  :gamer: