Famicom always on when using FDS and Triad PSU w/ Y-cable

Started by PranceRosner, June 16, 2022, 06:29:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PranceRosner

Hi all, I have an unusual issue with my Famicom and FDS.  I picked up a Triad power supply and a y-adapter (as suggested on FirebrandX's website), and whenever I have the ram adapter plugged in, the console is powered on regardless of the power switch state. Oddly, if I unplug just the Famicom power, it turns off.  If I use two PSUs, the main power switch functions. It seems like there is phantom power coming through the ram adapter closing the contact with the DC voltage in. Has anyone else seen this? It doesn't effect gameplay of either disks or carts, it just has me scratching my head.

P

There is a +5 V power supply pin in the RAM Adapter, maybe the Famicom gets powered on by that? It sounds a bit strange to be wired this way, but if it's really connected directly to the Famicom's Vcc via the cartridge slot I see no reason it wouldn't turn the Famicom on as well.
I would think the power supply for the disk drive is only to drive the motor though, not the +5 V logic. According to the wiki there is an additional +5 V power line in the disk drive that has voltage whenever the motor is on but this pin is not connected to the RAM Adapter, and is controlled by the disk drive itself.

I've never noticed this. I always run my disk drive on batteries though, maybe they just don't provide enough juice to drive the whole console. The Triad seems much more powerful than the original AC-adapter so that it can easily drive all these devices.

Pikkon

That is a bit odd,my buddy uses a ac adapter with a y-splitter on his fami and fds,he never had any problems,have you tried it with a different ac adapter?