March 29, 2024, 03:07:19 am

Introduce yourself...

Started by ClassicGameLabs, August 20, 2006, 08:58:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakon

Quote from: nerdygrrl on February 26, 2012, 04:48:06 am
Thanks for the welcome and the recommendations.  Drakon, I couldn't agree more, the 8 and 16 bit generation were hands down my favorite systems to play.  I see the Famicoms quickly becoming my most played consoles.  I honestly don't know what took me so long to track them down.  As I mentioned I feel like a lost world of games has just been opened up for me.

As of late my console collection has been suffering.  I  have been spending heavier on my upright collection, but I see  that changing now.  I have been cruising the FS thread looking for some new goodies.  Is there anything I should know about or watch out for?

Thanks again.

rarities?  Mr gimmick famicom cartridge.  Trip world for the gameboy.  For famicom: holy diver, crisis force, you'd be surprised that tmnt 2 and 3 both are slightly improved in their famicom versions (but keep in mind tmnt 2 is tmnt 1 on the famicom and tmnt 3 is tmnt 2 on the famocom).  Grand master rocks too.  For nes there's also shatterhand and kick master.

I still remember back in 1996 it was time for me to upgrade to the next generation of gaming console.  But instead I bought my first PC and just kept gaming on my snes for years and years.  Ironically the first console I ever cared about was a nes so even as a kid I could tell what generation of gaming was mostly a waste of time.

Jamtex

And I am back from being busy at work and traveling from Japan to the UK to Brazil to the UK to Finland then to Norway....

manuel

zoast

March 10, 2012, 09:39:37 pm #918 Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 08:21:30 am by zoast
Quote from: Drakon on February 26, 2012, 04:37:05 pm
you'd be surprised that tmnt 2 and 3 both are slightly improved in their famicom versions (but keep in mind tmnt 2 is tmnt 1 on the famicom and tmnt 3 is tmnt 2 on the famocom).

Whoa, I am!  Cool.

Hello folks.  First post.  I'm from southeast USA and work as an apprentice electrician (yeah, I'm a construction worker that talks like a Terran SCV.)

I used some posts from this forum (and 2 others) to help me to mod my US NES to play split + expansion audio very recently.  You all have my thanks - now I can rock some Akumajou Densetsu in it's full glory!   8)

I have a few sweet imports, but not much a collection of them so far.... it looks like - CV3, crisis force, holy diver, samurai pizza cats, parodius da, contra, twinbee 1 & 3, quinty, Pop n Twinbee, Valis 3 (just so I can listen to a soundtest for this superb soundtrack), and a handful of rpgs that I can't read (someday maybe...)

Anyway, I live a semi-secret life of being a fanatical game and chip music lover.  I will share some songs I've done or collaborated with on and some other things then I will not speak of this stuff again unless it somehow comes up later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekhOq6uNqCM (starcraft terran A, here I only played the trumpet and clean guitars)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2x1Ty7NyR8 (remix of 2 secret of mana songs, I just play drums and a little acoustic guitar and piano part)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhjd1J8OtkA (zelda 1, skip to :57 to hear the best part, I did all of this one)

But as for  :gamer: I have a fondness for the shinobi series, classic street fighter 2, garou mark of the wolves, starcraft, but my most favorite games might be all the classy 16 bit shooters like Thunderforce IV, UN Squadron, Gaiares, Gradius 3, and this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn5FzaAS0M4&feature=player_embedded )
     I love music and video games!

(might've been good for a SDA record if I had recorded it and went for shaft, there are definitely better players out there though!)

Sorry for the bloated post.   :fire:  I'll pipe down from here on out.
Bah weep gragnah weep nini bong!

Drakon

March 11, 2012, 01:43:34 pm #919 Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 01:53:05 pm by Drakon
You won't know akumajyo in full glory until you buy one of the av famicom kits from japan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN0lQf02dDY&list=UU9G7zkSqL0nMI5eNk0uN65A&index=1&feature=plcp

and welcome to the forum  ;)

akumajyo densetsu, holy diver and crisis force are all very awesome.

And I also share your appreciation for classic sf2...I recently dumped an undumped sf2 ce japanese arcade version so expect to see support for it soon in mame.

*edit*

I just successfully converted my sf2 turbo arcade pcb to rainbow edition  ;D

Also really enjoying your music

zoast

thanks! : )

Indeed, I think it's inevitable for me to get a famicom.  I'm a noob to the system though, this looks pretty sweet!  A/V outs (hence the name yes?)   I've heard the US top loader picture is worse than the toaster, that it has scan lines.  I guess this is a whole different beast though?  The picture and sound are much improved?   <- That's a lot of questions  :o       Looks and sounds good from that video.

"I just successfully converted my sf2 turbo arcade pcb to rainbow edition"
Heretic!

Nah.. actually, I haven't ever played this version, so I can't say anything.  Old school mod, didn't some arcades back in the day do that conversion?
Is there anything different you know of in that dump you mention than what you normally see in CE?

A few years ago I did a couple of videos I painfully compiled from me fighting one of my best friends (SF2-Hyper Fighting on 2DF), back when we played a lot.   This one is pretty short, and just has some funny things in it.  Disappearing fireball glitches?  Some goofy stuff.  But what happened in the last part (1:00->) I've personally never seen before in all the time I've played SF2.

Thanks for the greeting again : )

edit:
oh yeah, nice tips in the expansion audio mod thread!  one of those "why didn't I think of that", very helpful stuff!

Drakon

March 12, 2012, 10:01:52 pm #921 Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 03:23:43 pm by Drakon
Welcome I've been modding for quite some time so I don't mind sharing hard learned tips.  The nes 2 rf video signal is garbage and even composite modding the system you have to be careful with where your wires are otherwise it picks up interference.  Ironically both the nes 2 and the av famicom have the best quality picture when you install a rgb ppu chip.  SF2 turbo is horrible it was released just so capcom could try to compete wtih very popular hacks like rainbow edition.  I play my sf2 arcade board way more now that it's rainbow edition I hardly played it when it was turbo it wasn't very fun.

zoast

That's a pretty strong opinion on hyper fighting, I like it  : (   I'm curious more specifically what your gripes about it are?  I don't have a problem playing on CE, I just prefer the speed a little faster, CE seems a little too mechanical to me.  One of my favorite characters is dhalsim though so maybe I should play CE more  :P

But honestly when I play arcade fighting by myself, most of the time it's Garou - Mark of the Wolves.  ;D

Thanks for the quick breakdown on the video outputs, I'll most definitely have to keep my sights on that rgb mod for whenever I get around to buying a new TV!

Drakon

March 13, 2012, 03:25:02 pm #923 Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 03:34:56 pm by Drakon
Everything they added in turbo was worse than champion edition.  I dislike all of the new moves and I really can't stand the colour pallette changes.  For me CE is the perfect speed and turbo is a bit fast...also world warrior is easily too slow.  And turbo literally would have never been made if it wasn't for the popularity of the bootleg hacks, clearly turbo is inspired by the hacks but it's nowhere near as fun.  In turbo they added more speed, certain moves in the air, and new stuff which is exactly what the hacked CE boards had (except the bootleg hacks did it wayyyyy better).  I appreciate that capcom gave characters that previously only had 2 super moves 3 moves each but the new moves don't really help you except for maybe e. honda.  The irony is that turbo literally IS a hack of champion edition.  In fact you can change a champion edition board to turbo and vice versa just by re-burning 3 eproms on the board.

I had the opportunity of growing up playing the illegal hacks so when turbo showed up on the scene I sort of rolled my eyes at capcom trying to immitate a bootleg that made their game more fun in certain ways.  Turbo was never meant to improve on champion edition, turbo was meant to take back the market capcom was losing to these fun hacked boards.  I wish that capcom would have instead found ways to imrove on the game instead of adding silly frills that didn't really improve the experience in any way.

Nightstar699

Quote from: zoast on March 13, 2012, 02:44:25 pm
One of my favorite characters is dhalsim though so maybe I should play CE more  :P

Play Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo, man. Dhalsim was Godlike in that, considered to be one of the best characters.
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

Drakon

I love ssf2t I just wish you did less damage as matches are over so quickly in it.

Nightstar699

Quote from: Drakon on March 13, 2012, 03:33:09 pm
I love ssf2t I just wish you did less damage as matches are over so quickly in it.

Well, that's all versions of Street Fighter 2. Ironic you dislike SF4, as the matches last longer in that one than in any other Street Fighter game.
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

Drakon

Quote from: Nightstar699 on March 13, 2012, 03:34:27 pm

Well, that's all versions of Street Fighter 2. Ironic you dislike SF4, as the matches last longer in that one than in any other Street Fighter game.

SF4 is in no ways a terrible game I just get bothered by the game momentarily pausing for each hit and the animation style looks silly.  Also characters in that game have too many moves so it feels a bit pointlessly over-complicated to me.

Nightstar699

Quote from: Drakon on March 13, 2012, 03:36:14 pm
Quote from: Nightstar699 on March 13, 2012, 03:34:27 pm

SF4 is in no ways a terrible game I just get bothered by the game momentarily pausing for each hit and the animation style looks silly.  Also characters in that game have too many moves so it feels a bit pointlessly over-complicated to me.

Heh, if you think SF4 has too many moves, please, never play Tekken. And maybe we should make a general fighting game discussion thread so we don't have to clog up the introduction forum...

Drakon