March 29, 2024, 05:42:11 am

Nintendo Campus Challenge

Started by JC, March 03, 2009, 10:25:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

UglyJoe

Quote from: FamicomFreak on March 05, 2009, 09:04:25 am
I don't see why not just share the rom with everyone. Are you really that greedy?

It's not necessarily greed on bunnyboy's part.  With rare carts like this, having a ROM floating around lessens its value.  I suspect the owner of the original cart is getting a piece of bunnyboy's sales.  So, it's sort of the owner's way of distributing the cart (thus lessening his own cart's value) while still making a bit of money off of it.

If the owner had nothing to lose by releasing the ROM, then I would say he's being greedy.  But, as it is, he's just protecting the value of his rare cart.

JC

The ROM will become available once these carts are released; someone will try dumping and would probably be successful. You never know the back-dealing that goes on, but I'd imagine the owner of the original cart -- if not the dude who discovered it but someone different -- certainly paid a lot for it and would like to use these repros to make a little bit back. I would.

EDIT: Beat me to it, Ugly. :P

manuel

I don't understand that.

Even if millions of people have copies as rom data on their pcs, the only physical copy is still the only one copy. It's "worth" as much as it was before. Maybe that's just me thinking this way...

JC

Not exactly. The real one is lessened because now it's mostly a collector's piece, where before it was both a collector's and gamer's cart. In other words, it'll always be coveted, but only by mad collectors, not by people wanting it just to be able to play it.

nintendodork

March 05, 2009, 08:00:54 pm #34 Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 08:06:39 pm by nintendodork
It's worth as much as it was before...but only to the person owning it and possibly collectors.  If there was a ROM of it, it would be a lot easier to reproduce, and people wouldn't think so highly of it as they do now.  I don't plan to buy this in the future, but if I had the ROM, there wouldn't be a chance in hell I'd buy it, because I'd rather spend my money on a PowerPak, put it, NWC, Recca, etc. on it and save money.

EDIT* JC beat me to it. :P

Another edit (Off-topic)* I was playing my NWC repro yesterday, and I found out something interesting...
If you have a zapper plugged into port 2 when you turn on the game, it will go straight past the title screen and into the game, instead of you having to press start, it just skips it all together!  Someone needs to try this on the Famicom with a light gun.
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

manuel

I don't get it. I think I'm just not the typical collector.  :D

A famous painting isn't worth less just because some dudes print it a million times...

nintendodork

But people will be less interested in the real thing if they can get a print for much less for their own use.  It sort of fills their need of whatever it is they're admiring
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

manuel

Hmm... still not convinced.

Frankly, I don't even care that much.  :D
And I might even try it to see I can't stand a chance to beat the record.  ;D

satoshi_matrix

If I really wanted to do a gaming competition, like this, I would get a stop watch, get my copies of SMB3, Pinbot and Dr. Mario out and away I go.......I just saved $85.   8)

manuel

That's a way, too, but it's too easy to cheat that way.  ;)

FamicomFreak

Quote from: nintendodork on March 05, 2009, 08:08:22 pm
But people will be less interested in the real thing if they can get a print for much less for their own use.  It sort of fills their need of whatever it is they're admiring

Wait a second! won't people still try to admire the real thing therefore pay to see the real painting not printed copies? The price will not change and might even interest people more.
Retro Gaming Life  www.retrogaminglife.com

JC

Quote from: satoshi_matrix on March 06, 2009, 12:20:30 am
If I really wanted to do a gaming competition, like this, I would get a stop watch, get my copies of SMB3, Pinbot and Dr. Mario out and away I go.......I just saved $85.   8)

That really takes the fun out if it...so rudimentary.

nintendodork

Quote from: FamicomFreak on March 06, 2009, 08:34:23 am
Quote from: nintendodork on March 05, 2009, 08:08:22 pm

Wait a second! won't people still try to admire the real thing therefore pay to see the real painting not printed copies? The price will not change and might even interest people more.
I'm saying that, if someone were to buy a print of a famous painting, they would still want to see it, but I think it would be knocked down on their priority list, because at least they have a print to admire for the time being.  And if they ever got a chance to look at the real thing, then that's great...and they may have a stronger admiration for it, because they had only seen prints, but at the same time, they already know what it looks like.  So their excitement would be purely on the fact that it's the original copy.  If I had that NCC repro, and then, one day, I played the real thing..it would be cool, but not as cool, because I already know what to expect.