April 19, 2024, 08:47:11 am

Sega Dreamcast

Started by nintendodork, March 18, 2009, 01:46:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

nintendodork

Hello all,

I was in the PS today, and they had about 8 or so Dreamcasts hanging from the wall..and countless controllers...
Since they're $15 for the console, cables, and two controllers, I was thinking about getting one.  So here's my question...

Can the Dreamcast emulate games off of a CD?   Or am I thinking of another Sega system?  Also, if so, how good is the emulation on it?
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

Rogles

The Dreamcast has emulators for it. You don't even need to mod it to play burned games!
( ยด_ゝ`)

son_ov_hades

You should definitely get one and pick up some DC games if they have any. The Dreamcast is one of my favorite systems ever. It can run emulators from disk, but make sure you don't get a later production model, they can't play burned disks. I've never been able to play burned disks on mine, but haven't tried in about 5 years.

nintendodork

How can I tell if it's a later model?
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

son_ov_hades

Apparently there is a sticker on the bottom of the console that tells you, I don't know my Dreamcast isn't at school with me.

nintendodork

Ok, I'll look for it...

How's the internet browsing on this thing?

Blue Protoman

1. Dreamcast: DO GET

2. Check the sticker at the bottom.  If it says it was made before October 2000 (most were), you're good to go.  If it was made after October 2000, don't bother with homebrew, it won't run.

3. Use Dir2Boot to compile the plain files of a game to use.  It's extremely easy to use.

4. Use Discjuggler to burn the software.  Also easy to use.

5. Don't use Nero.

6. NESTERDC SE is the best NES emulator.

7. Internet should still work, but most services for games won't.
BP's Domain
Visit my site today!
http://bpsdomain.b1.jcink.com/

nintendodork

March 18, 2009, 02:29:03 pm #7 Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 04:06:44 pm by nintendodork
Thanks Protoman!  If I have any questions, I'll be sure to ask you.

I'll get one tomorrow or the next day.

EDIT: How many ROMs can I put on a CD?  Can I only have one per CD?  Or is there some kind of directory or something for multiple ROMs on a CD?

Blue Protoman

You can have more than one DC game, but each game needs to be special filetype and you need a certain program to compile them...  It's best used if you're making a compilation to put on a website.  For personal use, stick to one game per CD.

And, ROMs?  However many your CD can hold.  It's a question of the emulator, really.  Just make sure you use 700MB CDRs.  DO NOT USE RW.
BP's Domain
Visit my site today!

nintendodork

So for DC games, one per CD...
But for NES, SNES, etc. it doesn't matter, just whatever my CD can hold...right?

Blue Protoman

Pretty much, as long as you use one emulator per CD.  Unless you want to make a program compilation and spread it across the web.  Don't ask me how to do that.
BP's Domain
Visit my site today!

nintendodork

Could you point me to a tutorial on how to get one disc setup with the emu, ROMs, and all?

Blue Protoman

1. Download emulator on DCEmuUK

2. Download ROMs of your choice

3. Download DiscJuggler

4. Unless you're getting NES games, get Dir2Boot (in which case, get NESTERDC SE, it has a built-in compiler you need to use on the PC)

5. Follow directions on where to place ROMs

6. Compile with Dir2Boot (place all files in one folder with a name all caps under 11 letters, then hit "Create Discjuggler Image")*

7. Burn with DiscJuggler (open up DJ, select "Burn Disc Images", load the game, and click the icon that says "Burn")

*You will need a file called "IP.BIN".  Some games/emus have it.  Some don't.  You can use almost any IP.BIN file.  If your game/emulator doesn't have an IP.BIN, then find one!  Dir2Boot will not compile any DJ image without an IP.BIN.
BP's Domain
Visit my site today!

nintendodork

FamicomFreak

Get the dreamcast now!!!
Retro Gaming Life  www.retrogaminglife.com