Last game you beat (including Famicom)

Started by Doc, July 29, 2006, 11:29:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Nightstar699

Quote from: nerdynebraskan on February 17, 2014, 03:55:53 pm
I just beat Shatterhand (NES) for the first time. Another conquest for the NA challenge.

I can't believe I missed this, congratulations! I'd have to consider Shatterhand to be the best game the NES has to offer, despite my personal love (nostalgia) for Kirby's Adventure. Which bot combo did you like the best? Oh, and did you have the robot suit activated when you fought the final boss?
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

nerdynebraskan

I generally preferred the bot who threw the bombs diagonally-down at the enemies in front of me (beta-beta-beta?). That was usually a good angle for me, and it seemed to do more damage than many of the other options. The final boss was honestly not even the hardest one in the game. I was getting him flashing without a bot or a punch upgrade. But when I got in there with the suit and ten seconds to use it, he didn't have a chance.

Now, that sword bot on the elevator? HE was a bastard. I don't know if I could ever beat him without the suit. They really neutered him in the rematch in the second-to-last level, because they took away the gears in the background that could damage you in the original fight.
Can Nintendo Age Beat Every NES Game in 2015?

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=140551

L___E___T

I haven't beat Shatterhand/Solbrain yet, I haven't sat down with it properly yet but that first stage doesn't get boring either.

Beat VS. Castlevania for the first time tonight.  Hardest stage is stage 3 for sure.  I raced through stages 4 and even 5 somehow, but it took me a few goes to beat Drac, 3 hits and you're gone.  Only one less than normal, but when you get to the second quest - man, enemies take off 8 points.  Yes, double medusa heads on Stage 2 and they all take off 8 points... Gonna look forward to clearing that!
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Nightstar699

Quote from: nerdynebraskan on February 22, 2014, 06:01:45 am
I generally preferred the bot who threw the bombs diagonally-down at the enemies in front of me (beta-beta-beta?). That was usually a good angle for me, and it seemed to do more damage than many of the other options. The final boss was honestly not even the hardest one in the game. I was getting him flashing without a bot or a punch upgrade. But when I got in there with the suit and ten seconds to use it, he didn't have a chance.

Now, that sword bot on the elevator? HE was a bastard. I don't know if I could ever beat him without the suit. They really neutered him in the rematch in the second-to-last level, because they took away the gears in the background that could damage you in the original fight.

BBB, also known as the Grenade Bot is definitely among the strongest in the game, that grenade does great damage. Technically speaking the strongest bot would be ABB, the one which throws discs that ricochet off of surfaces. Because of this, it has a lot of range and versatility, although its projectiles are weaker than those of Grenade Bot. My favorite bot would have to be ABA, the Katana Bot. I just love the animation on that sword swipe, and I'm a sucker for some good close range combat. Not to mention, there's a few points in the game where I think it's the technically preferred bot, like the submarine stage, it slices through those biological messes with ease.

Quote from: L___E___T on February 23, 2014, 03:30:18 pm
I haven't beat Shatterhand/Solbrain yet, I haven't sat down with it properly yet but that first stage doesn't get boring either.

Beat VS. Castlevania for the first time tonight.  Hardest stage is stage 3 for sure.  I raced through stages 4 and even 5 somehow, but it took me a few goes to beat Drac, 3 hits and you're gone.  Only one less than normal, but when you get to the second quest - man, enemies take off 8 points.  Yes, double medusa heads on Stage 2 and they all take off 8 points... Gonna look forward to clearing that!

When the time comes, please make sure to play both Shatterhand, AND Solbrain. Area C is a completely different level between the two versions, and I'd be curious as to which you prefer.

I'm not sure how different VS. Castlevania is from the original, but I played through Castlevania on NES yet again last night, and I have to nominate stage four as the toughest in the game. The randomness in its first (underground) half is enraging. Still, I love the original Castlevania a lot, I'd have to say it's my second favorite in the series, after IV.

Also, a first time completion in the past few days: Papuwa-Kun on Super Famicom. Already beaten it three times, and it's safe to say... yep, one of my favorite games now.
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

wholesalewatch648

beat Pokemon Y. now almost time to move to Pokemon X
I am a big Nintendo fan! especially GameBoy, N64, SFC, GC. And of course Mario games
I collect SFC/N64 mainly. Some rare famicom stuff too. Also miscellaneous video game stuff.

L___E___T

Is that like playing the whole game through again for a couple extra Pokémon?

I got my stages mixed up on VS. Castlevania - I meant to say stage 4, not 3 is hardest.  I did nearly run out of time on Stage 3 though, had one second to spare.

Basic differences are, the game starts off with damage levels of the second quest, then gives you a strict time limit on top of that.  You don't have time to be careful sometimes or collect the usual amount of hearts.  I forgot about this and ran out of time on the first stage.  The first stage!
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

P

Quote from: L___E___T on February 24, 2014, 01:32:42 am

It's more like playing the whole game again on a new save file with just a few different random encounters. Then you would have to trade the new pokemons to the other game (but I supposed you would need two 3DSs in order to trade, plus the save files are locked to the 3DS it's played on AFAIK) if you want to have all pokemon on one game. This is assuming the Pokemon series is still using the same concept as the original.

Arcade versions usually have a high difficulty level but wow! I gotta test those VS games on my Everdrive some time. I saw that lots of them have patches to make them work on a Famicom including VS Hogan's Alley.

L___E___T

I haven't tried VS Hogan's Alley just yet, but yes VS Castlevania gave me some challenge.  Still wouldn't say it's as hard as Ghosts 'N' Goblins yet though.  Not sure what the default difficulty is on VS. Castlevania, but you can adjust it with dipswitches.
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

nerdynebraskan

Last night, I beat P'Radikus Conflict (NES) for the first time. It's definitely one of the best Color Dreams games, and a fairly unique NES game to boot. It's basically an Asteroids-style space shooter with action-RPG and space exploration elements.

The difficulty is a bit uneven, with the third mission being quite a bit more difficult than the four that come after it. Then, the last level becomes incredibly hard. I struggled with it for a couple of hours (ah, infinite continues...), before catching a very helpful glitch. When being given the last mission, you get a full supply of the Thunderbolt, which is the most powerful special weapon in the game. But if you re-read the mission briefing, it'll resupply you infinitely. Once I started firing Thunderbolts liberally, the game was conquered pretty quickly.

wholesalewatch648

Quote from: L___E___T on February 24, 2014, 01:32:42 am

Yes.  8)
I am a big Nintendo fan! especially GameBoy, N64, SFC, GC. And of course Mario games
I collect SFC/N64 mainly. Some rare famicom stuff too. Also miscellaneous video game stuff.

Pikkon

February 25, 2014, 02:30:41 am #265 Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 03:15:17 am by Pikkon
Mitsume Ga Touru

Awesome game

L___E___T

I have played through Mitsume Ga Tooru mostly, but I ran out of time and had to shut it off.  Looking forward to playing through it, but I am not so good at it - I still find the first boss pattern a bit weird.
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Issun

February 25, 2014, 11:45:43 am #267 Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 03:43:53 am by Issun
I just completed 'Downtown Special Kunio-kun no Jidaigeki Dayo Zenin Shuugou' on famicom. Awesome game!

Edit: Just beat the Gameboy version of Jidaigeki Dayo as well.  ;D

Pit

After 1 year of hard training, finally Gimmick! 1life  :'( :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB9WePg-scU

I made shit on the 5th boss, usually I take no damage :-[

nerdynebraskan

February 28, 2014, 10:52:25 am #269 Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 08:17:28 pm by nerdynebraskan
Young Indiana Jones Chronicles (NES)

Post Merge: March 01, 2014, 08:17:27 pm

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES)

A childhood favorite, conquered at last!