Flash cart development

Started by arfink, August 10, 2010, 01:39:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

UglyJoe

Looking good, man!  One suggestion, though:  Famicom cartridges are called "cassettes" (カセット) by Japanese, so it may be more accurate to use that on the Famicom label instead of "cartridge" (カートリッジ) (even if the English text still says "cartridge").

L___E___T

I'd be well interested.  Interested enough to buy 2, perhaps 2 famicoms and 1 NES.  But the price would have to reflect the abilities of the cart.

I still long for the day a flashcart appears that can load pure ROM data from an SD or whatever, without having to worry about what the cart type is.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

arfink

Quote from: UglyJoe on August 30, 2010, 03:41:53 pm
Looking good, man!  One suggestion, though:  Famicom cartridges are called "cassettes" (カセット) by Japanese, so it may be more accurate to use that on the Famicom label instead of "cartridge" (カートリッジ) (even if the English text still says "cartridge").

Thanks for the suggestion.

an-cat-max

I think this looks like a nice cheap alternative-ish version of the powerpak and i'll be picking one up for sure :)

I'll still collect carts of course but this would be nice to have too!

arfink

I got a new video of the updated firmware. It shouldn't be too long now before the beta rolls out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1rB2BZTg3o

MS-DOS4

>>>Current Collection<<< Updated 8/20/2014

-Click here for Photobucket Collection-

arfink

I just thought you all might like to know I got the famicom version of the cartridge working, though at the moment I am without the 15-pin cable needed for the famicom side of the thing, so I have stuck the PCB into a gyromite adapter for testing inside an NES.

Also, a picture of what the beta carts look like, more or less. Disregard the misaligned label, the printers got it wrong. :P Next batch will be correct.

NintendoKing

After seeing what you have made, I really want one. Will they work well on a NES-101 Toploader and AV Famicom?

I was completely turned off by the price tag of RetroUSB's flashcart but $50 is highly affordable.

I hope you get these made.

arfink

Assuming I can get the cable issue sorted out for the Famicom version then it'll work on all Famicoms. Right now I have to program the cartridge inside of an NES then move it to the famicom to play because I can't get a source for Famicom EXT port cables.

As for Toploader NES, I have no idea why not. It's got the same controller ports and 72 pin slot, so yeah it'll work.

NintendoKing

Quote from: arfink on October 16, 2010, 02:32:26 pmAs for Toploader NES, I have no idea why not. It's got the same controller ports and 72 pin slot, so yeah it'll work.

Awesome, well if the Famicom cable is never developed properly I can use my Famicom cart with a pin converter and run the uploads through my NES Toploader (or just get the NES cart version instead of Famicom).

Guess what everyone, Super Mario Bros: All Night Nippon is the correct format to run on the Munchausen Flash Cart!

http://tuxnes.sourceforge.net/nesmapper.txt
List of All NES/Famicom Games and the Mappers they use.

Thank you Artfink for developing such a wonderful device.

UglyJoe

Quote from: The Uninvited Gremlin on October 17, 2010, 10:28:38 am
Guess what everyone, Super Mario Bros: All Night Nippon is the correct format to run on the Munchausen Flash Cart!

It's an FDS game, though, not a cart.

ericj

Quote from: The Uninvited Gremlin on October 17, 2010, 04:41:14 pm
Well, you are likely right but even if it is a hacking; its as close to playing the real game on my Famicom as I will ever get and thats okay by me.

Do you have a disk system?

http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=4444.msg84372#msg84372   ;)

L___E___T

Please PM me when they're available, I'll buy two off the bat :) 1 NES, 1 Famicom

What would really make this a must-buy for folks is if it can do more than MMC1 and NROM

I'm no techie, but can it play chiptunes?  I'll get it just for hacks though, that's enough for me.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

arfink

OK, thanks for your patience guys. We hit a couple snags with the Famicom version because of some unexpected cabling issues, but I think we have a way to fix that. The first batch of beta carts is going to be shipped out fairly soon, but those are NES only carts and they have already been claimed as part of the beta run. Using the information we get back from beta testers we will then tweak the software and I can begin building these. I suspect that demand is going to be fairly high, and I'll need to do more than one batch. Also, as of right now, I have not officially accepted any preorders nor officially reserved any cartridges for anyone but the beta program participants and a few select others. Don't worry though, I will make enough to satisfy at least initial demand, and almost certainly more.

The famicom prototype cartridge has been done for a while, but I had to program it inside of an NES, but the new cable is nearly done. When it's working nicely I'll make up a video demoing it.

NintendoKing

I wish I had been one of those beta testers, they are so lucky; but knowing it's in testing phases increases my excitement for the eventual release of the Munchausen. :)