Famicom Four Player Adapter

Started by tappybot, February 16, 2011, 04:54:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

P

In Japan? Yeah I would get it if I where you.

BasiliskFang

I should mangle this 4score and busted experience controllers to make 2 of these.

Frank_fjs

I know this is an oldish thread, but I recall coming across the JoyPair before.

Seems to be quite rare and expensive unfortunately.

Profeta Yoshitake

Quote from: tappybot on February 16, 2011, 06:45:14 pm
The Portuguese to English translation is kind of interesting.  So those aren't NES style controller ports, but ports for controllers that firt the accessory port.  Heh, that's

QuoteThe Famicom also received gambles rampant, especially games of the series of Kunio-kun , with beatings and extreme eastern exclusively as Nekketsu Kakuto Densetsu or even the famous Kunio-Kun Nekketsu Soccer League in , or "Goal 3" to his friends, a game that undoubtedly was the "inspiration" for Rockman Soccer and Mario Strikers, but that's another story ... Speaking of only a few games that were more than two simultaneous players in Japan suffered a downgrade to reach the U.S. market. A good example is Moero! Twin Bee , Famicom Disk for three kids simultaneously: the West had as Stinger , only two caboclos.

The most interesting and obscure is that Nintendo has never released a multitap for the Famicom! Curious, no? The only four joystick adapter that has news is the HORI ! I need to mention it's almost impossible to take off one of those? A detail nearly as dire as the difficulty to find this white fly the "blue Zoio [save, Corisco!]: To play in the multitap HORI , probably will need four controls compatible with the extra port of the Famicom, or fail to function automatically controls two standard plugs and are now worth only plugs special multitap. This means that besides the quest to get an adapter to four controls will require a mission with four stages, each of them to get a control that is compatible with the extra port of the Famicom! Must have great faith in the Invisible Famicom for it!

Five years later I discover one text of mine posted on The NES Archive in Brazilian Portuguese cited here!
Man, machine translators still can't translate slang!  ;D
Now Playing: Dragon Ball Fusions, Yggdra Union

Gruixeeeeet

January 15, 2017, 06:10:28 am #34 Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 06:56:54 am by Er_tosinishoO
I'm searching one of the Famicom multitaps (Hori 4P adaptor, Hori twin adaptor or Joypair) but it's imposible to find one.

Any of you know where to buy?

Thanks. Sorry for reviving an old theme  :-[
Now plugged:
FC AV, NES, SNES, N64 & GC
MD & DC
PS2
NG AES
Non-classic: NS & PS5

Profeta Yoshitake

Now Playing: Dragon Ball Fusions, Yggdra Union

Gruixeeeeet

January 15, 2017, 05:34:47 pm #36 Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 08:39:15 pm by Er_tosinishoO
It is too difficult to find.

I'm thinking about trying to build a splitter. If I am not wrong, they are needed a TwinHead  PC-100 male and two NES females and then make the connections like the photo posted,. Isn't it?

There are any tutorial for dummies? And where can i buy this items?

Thanks.

Post Merge: January 15, 2017, 08:38:16 pm

QuoteI have something like this too.

Only two ports, but works with all accessories I've tried it with, including the Four Score.

This want allow you to play Famicom games (kunio-kun saga, etc) in 4 players mode?
Now plugged:
MD & DC
PS2
NG AES

P

Yes that will work with Kunio-kun as far as I know, it might not work with games that are made for the Hori Four Player Adapter though (no idea how that one works) and it won't work with games that require the NES Four Score. It allows you to use NES controllers as controller III and IV (Zapper and NES Arkanoid Paddle among other things will also work if they are plugged in the con IV port).

Wire diagram here (wire both controllers of course). For the male end you can use a NeoGeo extension cable and for the two female ends it's easiest to use two NES extension cables (I dont know where to get though).

Just solder each wire according to the diagram (the extension port in the diagram is from the front so you will have to mirror it for the NeoGeo cable head) using inline splice technique.
You will need a wire cutter to cut the extension cables and to strip each wire for soldering.
You'll also need a multimeter and use the continuity test mode to know what wire is what pin in the cables. The probes of the multimeter are probably too thick for the NeoGeo cable head though so you'll need a needle or something to put in the holes and put the probe on that.

Gruixeeeeet

January 16, 2017, 06:13:00 am #38 Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 06:35:36 am by Er_tosinishoO
Thanks for answering.

I didn't now there was games that only works with Hori 4P adapter. I thought that all games works with all the three multitaps (Hori 4P, Hori Twin and Joypair, and the last two are something similar like the handmade we're talking).

I will try this. The unique problem is the part to recognise the correct cables from the neogeo extension cable. Haven't they colors?

Edit: there is any posibility to convert this simply adapter in a splitter for 4P gaming? http://m.ebay.es/itm/152391304466?_mwBanner=1
Now plugged:
MD & DC
PS2
NG AES

Gruixeeeeet

January 16, 2017, 07:12:57 am #39 Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 07:50:39 am by Er_tosinishoO
And which is the difference between use this one to build the adapter and make it with the NeoGeo cable and two new females?
Now plugged:
MD & DC
PS2
NG AES

P

I'm not sure what you mean by "overwriting the first and second controllers". The first controller's data pin isn't even reachable from the expansion port. As long as that adapter has all wires wired correctly it should work the same way as the diagram above.

Quote from: Er_tosinishoO on January 16, 2017, 06:13:00 am
I didn't now there was games that only works with Hori 4P adapter. I thought that all games works with all the three multitaps (Hori 4P, Hori Twin and Joypair, and the last two are something similar like the handmade we're talking).

Because the "standard way" to add extra controllers only adds two extra controllers. I call these controller III and IV. Most games reads these and merges the button data from them with controller I and II respectively (1 or 2 player games). Some games reads them and store their button data separately as player 3 and player 4 inputs (3 or 4 player games). A number of games ignores them completly (which is why some games won't work with expansion port controllers).

But the Hori adapter adds 4 new controllers (which isn't even possible using the standard way), so it must be using a different protocol for sending the button data. And this also means that games that use it must be made to be compatible with this protocol to be able to read the controllers. It seems it has a 2 <-> 4 switch so I guess if you set it to "2" it will work just like the standard multitap, and if you set it to 4 it will use this special protocol.

I will try this. The unique problem is the part to recognise the correct cables from the neogeo extension cable. Haven't they colors?

They have colors but I have no idea if the we can trust that the colors are the same for all NeoGeo extension cables. It's best if you can check the wires yourself using the continuity test mode on a multimeter. You can get a decent digital multimeter for a good price and it's easy to use (you can look up guides online). It's a very useful tool to have anyway, and indespensible for projects like this.

Gruixeeeeet

January 16, 2017, 02:31:59 pm #41 Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 02:37:12 pm by Er_tosinishoO
QuoteBecause the "standard way" to add extra controllers only adds two extra controllers. I call these controller III and IV. Most games reads these and merges the button data from them with controller I and II respectively (1 or 2 player games). Some games reads them and store their button data separately as player 3 and player 4 inputs (3 or 4 player games). A number of games ignores them completly (which is why some games won't work with expansion port controllers).

But the Hori adapter adds 4 new controllers (which isn't even possible using the standard way), so it must be using a different protocol for sending the button data. And this also means that games that use it must be made to be compatible with this protocol to be able to read the controllers. It seems it has a 2 <-> 4 switch so I guess if you set it to "2" it will work just like the standard multitap, and if you set it to 4 it will use this special protocol.

I want to play the Kunio-kun series' games (Hockey, Football, Basket...). Do you know if it is possible to play with these homemade adapter? Or... Are there a list with the games that only works with Hori 4P?

EDIT: And... Does this one work with all games? http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_E22cpzJKFhQ/Rq9dfJiZTgI/AAAAAAAABzs/QL8XP147JlU/s320/famicom_hori_twin_adapter_fx.jpg

QuoteThey have colors but I have no idea if the we can trust that the colors are the same for all NeoGeo extension cables. It's best if you can check the wires yourself using the continuity test mode on a multimeter. You can get a decent digital multimeter for a good price and it's easy to use (you can look up guides online). It's a very useful tool to have anyway, and indespensible for projects like this.

Where can i get info about how to check the wires?
Now plugged:
MD & DC
PS2
NG AES

P

The Kunio-kun games are known to work with the standard multitap so they should work with this adapter. I have no idea what games work with the Hori multitap "4" mode but they are probably quite few.

I already told you how to check the wires. You use the "continuity test" mode on a multimeter. I found a guide here after some quick googling. Continuity is when there is electric connection between the two probes, it will beep when there is continuity. Just put one probe in the pins (use a needle) and one on the stripped wires and try all wires until you hear a beep.