guys i have a few questions pls help me:)

Started by hagai, August 25, 2011, 02:50:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hagai

my 1st question - is the RF switch for super nintendo (snes us) can also be used on a FAMICOM????

my 2nd question - how can i clean the catridges slots for my famicom????

thats all:D thanks guys i hope you can help me:D

-hagai yamato

133MHz

1) Yes, but depending on where you live the picture could be noisy.
2) I use an old toothbrush dipped in a little isopropyl alcohol to scrub those golden teeth clean. :bub:

RegalSin

2. I would only use what a game booklet ( instructions ), tells you what and what not to clean with. Avoid using isopropyl alcohol on a game, it can get destroyed. A person I knew used windex on a game and destroyed it as well.

ericj

Isopropyl alcohol more than likely won't harm your game. Windex has ammonia, which is corrosive to the pins and pcb traces.  ;)

P

Does anyone know if you can use chemically clean gasoline? I heard "white gasoline" might be the correct english word. It should evaporate without leaving anything bad behind. Do you need to dilute it with distilled water for use on electronics like cartridges?

nintendodork

Not to mention rubbing/isopropyl alcohol is very easy to find (at least in the United States), much easier than white gasoline. :D
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

hagai

thank you so much guys:D but i need more answers on my question number 1>.<
i hope you can give more information:)

P

Ah! Sorry for borrowing your thread! Both RF-Switches has the same connector and it won't harm your system in any way.
I use my PAL RF for my famicom as the one that came with it has another connector on the end that goes in to the TV, that doesn't work on European standards but I think it is the same as in USA. I didn't get a picture though because my TV can't take Japanese NTSC signal through the RF port anyway. But that is not the cable's fault.

The reason I asked about gasoline is because it is easy to find in Sweden and I'm not 100% sure what Rubbing Alcohol is in Swedish (I think "tvättsprit"). I use clean gasoline for many other things electronic like removing old thermal paste from a CPU.

133MHz

I know what you're talking about. My uncle uses "white gasoline" as a general purpose solvent/cleaner too. It should work on the edge connector but exercise caution around plastics and labels, just in case.

Rubbing alcohol is what you keep around the house for disinfecting wounds.

Parodius Duh

Quote from: P on August 25, 2011, 03:55:32 pm
Does anyone know if you can use chemically clean gasoline? I heard "white gasoline" might be the correct english word. It should evaporate without leaving anything bad behind. Do you need to dilute it with distilled water for use on electronics like cartridges?

No offense but "White Gasoline" is too funny. Being from an English speaking country I assume you mean Isopropyl Alcohol, its almost like gasoline, clear, and evaporates quickly. As already stated in a few posts by other members, it works fairly well. I usually just put a tiny amount on a Q-Tip (just enough to get it moist) then scrub with a light amount of pressure each contact, then go back over with a dry Q-tip, rubbing the same areas.

nintendodork

No, chemically clean gasoline is white gasoline.  Isopropyl alcohol is alcohol.
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

Parodius Duh

Quote from: nintendodork on August 26, 2011, 09:59:23 pm

Well I can say I have learned something today.  :pow:

P

Quote from: 133MHz on August 26, 2011, 11:45:53 am
I know what you're talking about. My uncle uses "white gasoline" as a general purpose solvent/cleaner too. It should work on the edge connector but exercise caution around plastics and labels, just in case.

Rubbing alcohol is what you keep around the house for disinfecting wounds.

Thanks! It should be tvättsprit then (literary: cleaning alcohol). Do I need to dilute it with distiled water?

Quote from: nintendodork on August 26, 2011, 09:59:23 pm

Yeah isopropyl alcohol is "Isopropanol" or "isopropylalkohol" so it can't be gasoline.

133MHz

Quote from: P on August 28, 2011, 10:51:49 am
Do I need to dilute it with distiled water?

For cleaning LCD screens and the like you should make a solution of 50% isopropyl alcohol and 50% distilled water. For cleaning cartridge edge connectors you should use pure alcohol directly.

P

Oh I checked a cartridge cleaning guide and it said to dilute rubbing alcohol. But I believe you. Then I guess you can use pure gasoline as well, at least on cartridge connectors.

Thanks a lot!