Finds (Famicom/FDS)

Started by Alex930, July 30, 2006, 12:09:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

FamicomFreak

MARIO 8 GIVE MEEEEEEEEEEEE! I can't wait for the end of the year when I'm going to South America for vacation with my new family err daughter and wife.
Retro Gaming Life  www.retrogaminglife.com

vealchop

-chop

JC

Quote from: vealchop on March 06, 2008, 10:53:14 am
won one of my top three holy grails today....SO PSYKED!!!!!!

Dang. Top three. What does it do and why is it a top three grail?

vealchop

Its a toy remote control vacuum cleaner made by Nintendo in 1979 called the "Chiritory". It's been featured in a bunch of the Warioware games usually in 8-bit's levels. I've been looking for one for years and never saw one for sale. Now I have 2!
-chop

JC

Haha. That's so fun. So I still think that cowboy dude you shoot and he collapses is the coolest. Though Duck Hunt ain't bad either.

I got some stuff coming in the mail:

Boogerman
Bubble Bobble -- cross fingers, might be the FDS version
Donkey Kong Country
Dragon Ball Z 2
Fatal Fury 2
Fighter multicart (KOF '98, SF: 12 peoples, Mighty Final Fight)
Harry's Legend
Kart Fighter
Lion King
Mickey Mania
Mortal Kombat: 18 people
Mortal Kombat: 28 people
Power Rangers -- hack  :P
Somari
Sonic the Hedgehog -- unhacked Somari, I think.
Street Fighter: 12 peoples
Super Mario World -- Genesis version?
The Dragon -- cool HK original with Bruce Lee

Paul-FC

Quote from: JC on March 07, 2008, 03:53:28 pm
Haha. That's so fun. So I still think that cowboy dude you shoot and he collapses is the coolest. Though Duck Hunt ain't bad either.

I got some stuff coming in the mail:

Boogerman
Bubble Bobble -- cross fingers, might be the FDS version
Donkey Kong Country
Dragon Ball Z 2
Fatal Fury 2
Fighter multicart (KOF '98, SF: 12 peoples, Mighty Final Fight)
Harry's Legend
Kart Fighter
Lion King
Mickey Mania
Mortal Kombat: 18 people
Mortal Kombat: 28 people
Power Rangers -- hack  :P
Somari
Sonic the Hedgehog -- unhacked Somari, I think.
Street Fighter: 12 peoples
Super Mario World -- Genesis version?
The Dragon -- cool HK original with Bruce Lee

OMG  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

planet_haxxor

wow great stuff! looking foward to the reviews.

I have Sonic - it's like Somari but with Sonic- is that the uhacked version?

and please help me id the fds version of bubble bobble!

JC

Yeah, the unhacked Somari would just put Sonic in place of Mario. I kinda wonder which came first, the Sonic Somari or the Mario Somari. I try to keep a mental list of which games are hacks, but it's tough to say if Somari is a Sonic hack or if Sonic is a Somari hack -- the latter would be strange.

And I don't know if the FDS version of Bubble Bobble exists. I'll keep buying Bubble Bobble carts until I find it, even if I never do. It would be much easier for pirate makers to port the NES version instead of porting the FDS version. And the difference between the two is so slight that there wouldn't be too much demand for the FDS version as a cart.

You'll see reviews of these over the next few months, if I can find the time. I still don't have them to test them out for myself; I can't wait for them to arrive.

133MHz

Quote from: JC on March 07, 2008, 04:44:24 pm
And I don't know if the FDS version of Bubble Bobble exists. I'll keep buying Bubble Bobble carts until I find it, even if I never do. It would be much easier for pirate makers to port the NES version instead of porting the FDS version. And the difference between the two is so slight that there wouldn't be too much demand for the FDS version as a cart.

Porting FDS games to cartridges is usually a great hassle for pirates. You have to recreate the entire FDS BIOS on the cart (which is a whopping 8KB) or at least the parts that the game calls (which is usually called a hacked FDS BIOS), also you need to recreate the FDS interrupt signal using the system clock and some TTL integrated circuits. And don't even mention things like remapping cart memory, removing loading screens, etc. Take a look at your SMB2j cart and you'll see it has loads and loads of chips, since SMB2j is a disk only release it's justifiable, but if there's a cart release why get through all that hassle when you can just copy the PRG and CHR and call it a day? Not to mention it's cheaper (less chips per cart) :P.

JC

You can add Toy Story (not the crappy hack, but the port) and Dance Dance Revolution to the list. These two are particularly interesting to me. Dance Dance is so unexpected (but I hear it sucks) and I never knew Toy Story existed. There was an SMB hack with Woody or something, but this Toy Story is supposed to be an original.

133MHz

Is Dance Dance Revolution the one which comes with those DDR-pad type Famiclones? Because that's what they are: a Famiclone w/o cart slot (gloptop ROM directly connected to NOAC) and a DDR-style pad for controller. Never imagined that a cart version existed, or that somebody underwent the hassle of dumping the ROM from one of those.

planet_haxxor

Quote from: JC on March 09, 2008, 02:48:22 pm
You can add Toy Story (not the crappy hack, but the port) and Dance Dance Revolution to the list. These two are particularly interesting to me. Dance Dance is so unexpected (but I hear it sucks) and I never knew Toy Story existed. There was an SMB hack with Woody or something, but this Toy Story is supposed to be an original.

I have a bomberman hack with woody as  protagonist in one of the multicarts I have, maybe that's the cheap hack you mean?

I found what I thought was a coolspot cart, but appears to be snake rattle and roll with a hacked title screen (called 7up 2)- not sure if any other aspect of it is hacked. the cart label is lovely.

NintendoKing

March 10, 2008, 05:42:47 pm #523 Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 10:20:17 am by The Uninvited Gremlin
The cuts for the AV were done quite shotty looking. I would not AV mod my famicom.

Paul-FC

March 11, 2008, 03:18:24 pm #524 Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 09:18:02 am by popibros1
i just got a bunch of mario pirates from planet_haxxor

Dian Shi Ma Li (Mario Lottery)
Sonic 6
Mario Rider
Multicart----------------|                 
list of games on it    |
Mighty Final Fight     |
SpartanX 2                |
SF 16 people            |
SF 20 people.           |
---------------------------|
Wario Land 3 (Hack of Puggsy)