Famicom AC-Adapter and General Power F.A.Q.

Started by Xious, November 18, 2011, 06:54:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

2A03

Quote from: Corn holo on April 22, 2012, 08:21:05 pm
Hey, does anyone know if you need a step down converter whan using a turbo grafx power cord?

The TG-16 power supply isn't meant for 220V so you'll need a voltage converter to use it. However, I would just use something like a Mega Drive power supply since the TG-16 uses the same kind of PSU and you won't have to bother with voltage converters.

Corn holo

Quote from: 2A03 on April 23, 2012, 09:23:51 am
Quote from: Corn holo on April 22, 2012, 08:21:05 pm
Hey, does anyone know if you need a step down converter whan using a turbo grafx power cord?

The TG-16 power supply isn't meant for 220V so you'll need a voltage converter to use it. However, I would just use something like a Mega Drive power supply since the TG-16 uses the same kind of PSU and you won't have to bother with voltage converters.

Thanks, I also have a combination adapter that works with the NTSC nes, super nes, and sega genesis. Will I still need a converter? Thanks...

133MHz

Those "combination adapters" usually have a 110/220V switch on them.

If yours does, glue the switch in place after setting the correct voltage. They have the horrible tendency of moving on their own, with lots of smoke and fireworks as a result.

Also most of those have horrible build quality. If yours produces hum bars in the picture and buzzing sound, discard it. Do not leave them plugged in unattended because they're a fire hazard.

Corn holo

Quote from: 133MHz on April 23, 2012, 06:55:31 pm
Those "combination adapters" usually have a 110/220V switch on them.

If yours does, glue the switch in place after setting the correct voltage. They have the horrible tendency of moving on their own, with lots of smoke and fireworks as a result.

Also most of those have horrible build quality. If yours produces hum bars in the picture and buzzing sound, discard it. Do not leave them plugged in unattended because they're a fire hazard.

Sorry if I'm being a burden but I was under the impression that the walls here in the US output 120 volts, not 220 volts.  In that case, would I still need a transformer for the tg16 adapter or the combo thing.  Please correct me if I'm wrong, and thanks once again.

2A03

Quote from: Corn holo on April 24, 2012, 04:51:55 am
Sorry if I'm being a burden but I was under the impression that the walls here in the US output 120 volts, not 220 volts.  In that case, would I still need a transformer for the tg16 adapter or the combo thing.  Please correct me if I'm wrong, and thanks once again.

They do, I was assuming you were in Europe since you asked about a voltage converter. Like I said, a Genesis power supply will work fine for the TG-16 by itself. For the TG-CD you'll need a different power supply.

Corn holo

April 24, 2012, 02:30:37 pm #50 Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 06:33:50 pm by Corn holo
Quote from: 2A03 on April 24, 2012, 12:27:51 pm
Quote from: Corn holo on April 24, 2012, 04:51:55 am
Sorry if I'm being a burden but I was under the impression that the walls here in the US output 120 volts, not 220 volts.  In that case, would I still need a transformer for the tg16 adapter or the combo thing.  Please correct me if I'm wrong, and thanks once again.

They do, I was assuming you were in Europe since you asked about a voltage converter. Like I said, a Genesis power supply will work fine for the TG-16 by itself. For the TG-CD you'll need a different power supply.

oh, wait, wow. herp derp.  Okay, huge misunderstanding on my part.  I was asking if you could use those adapters on a famicom.  wow, sorry

Additionally, I found this adapter in my house, wondering if it will work on a famicom.  It reads as follows.

MODEL: YS - 1015-U12
INPUT: 100~120V~
           60Hz,0.45A
OUTPUT: + 12VDC/1.25A

once again, again thanks

2A03

Quote from: Corn holo on April 24, 2012, 02:30:37 pm
Additionally, I found this adapter in my house, wondering if it will work on a famicom.  It reads as follows.

MODEL: YS - 1015-U12
INPUT: 100~120V~
           60Hz,0.45A
OUTPUT: + 12VDC/1.25A

once again, again thanks

What's the polarity? If it's tip positive it won't work.

smeghead

Hey, guys, i don't know where to ask this.
I want to have Sega controller on my famiclone (Terminator), but it have 9 pin connector instead 15 pin.
So, if I find chords with 15 pin connectors , is it possible to replace 9 pin Sega with 15 pin connector?
thanks guys, this forum is awsome.

2A03

Quote from: smeghead on May 13, 2012, 03:17:17 pm
I want to have Sega controller on my famiclone (Terminator), but it have 9 pin connector instead 15 pin.
So, if I find chords with 15 pin connectors , is it possible to replace 9 pin Sega with 15 pin connector?

The pinouts between the Genesis and most Famiclones are completely different so that won't work.

Terpor

I just won a Twin Famicom  audction, and it doesn't came with a power supply that works on a EU power socket. So now i need to find a cheap power supply for it.

So any idea where i can buy one and the pins have to look like this

That Guy

fredJ

I have it... PM me.  :D I need to go to bed now.
Selling  Japanese games in Sweden since 2011 (as "japanspel").
blog: http://japanspel.blogspot.com

smeghead

May 14, 2012, 10:13:37 pm #56 Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 04:39:29 pm by smeghead
Quote from: 2A03 on May 13, 2012, 05:50:55 pm
Quote from: smeghead on May 13, 2012, 03:17:17 pm

The pinouts between the Genesis and most Famiclones are completely different so that won't work.

How about Sega style controller (it's  written Dendy  on it) , it's 9 pin and works on my 'Polystation'..
i thought about solidering 15 pin chord on the circuit board of 9 pin controller (someone on fcworld forum said that it's possible)

Post Merge: May 15, 2012, 04:39:29 pm

I mean 'fake' Sega controller
it looks like this one

Yelir

I have an AV Famicom that appears to have been bundled with the wrong power supply, and seemed to have shorted something. Is there a way to fix there, or does it boil down to live and learn, and purchase a new system?  :'(

fredJ

Are you sure it doesn't work? You need to get the correct power supply. Notice the polarity is different from most other consoles.
Selling  Japanese games in Sweden since 2011 (as "japanspel").
blog: http://japanspel.blogspot.com

80sFREAK

Quote from: Yelir on June 08, 2012, 03:52:07 pm
I have an AV Famicom that appears to have been bundled with the wrong power supply, and seemed to have shorted something. Is there a way to fix there, or does it boil down to live and learn, and purchase a new system?  :'(
Hard to tell, you have to refurbish voltage regulator first.
I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy