Something You Learned Today

Started by Jedi Master Baiter, February 08, 2012, 12:08:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fcgamer

I have a Canon also, although mine is a MP287 or something like that.  Like yours, mine let's you override the default programming and print / scan against the machine's wishes, if you press the button.  It took me the better part of last night to figure that out though...

Some of you guys may remember that a few months back I had said my scanner had stopped working, and I thought it was due to my cat somehow screwing it up (hey, this all happened around the time I got my cat...)  Well, the scanner is working again, it must have just been a problem due to the ink level.  So I am glad my scanner is working again, sad that I accused my cat, and angry at the manufacturer for acting like a bunch of shady jerks and doing stuff like this, to confuse consumers.
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

P

Well that's a first. So you mean the scanner part doesn't work when it's low on ink?

fcgamer

Quote from: P on July 09, 2015, 08:49:47 am
Well that's a first. So you mean the scanner part doesn't work when it's low on ink?

Yes, precisely.  I thought it (the scanner) was broken until reading online and seeing that if I wanted to scan (and the printer was low on ink), I would have to press the override button..
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

MaxXimus

That's ridiculous. It sounds like a ploy to trick unsuspecting customers in to buying more hardware.

Jedi Master Baiter

I never played Hatris, and didn't know it was about hats.

So whenever I saw the name, I pronounced as "hate-tris" in my head... now this game looks disappointing. :(

Mo-hd

This!

Was published in Weekly World News, July 30th, 1996

MaxXimus

What the hell ha-ha. Only in the states could you do something like this. (No offense to anyone in the states)

famifan

Sarahconner

I learned that I do not how to translate 'animal data' or 'andat' into Japanese.  Can anyone help, please.  Also, is there a general thread or will I start one, for non-English language and specifically Japanese? 

I find dobutsu no deta.  Via Google, however that means 'came out of animals,' which is not the exact meaning.  'Animal Data' is a compound noun meaning 'info viewed from observing animals,' which I think is a crucially different. 

Thank you in advance  8) :star:

P

Google translate is good for aproximating a translation of a text, but it's a poor Japanese teacher.

I'd just say 動物のデータ (doubutsu no deeta). It grammatically means data with animals as an attribute, so in other words "animal data" in English. I'ts not a compound noun in Japanese but it's really the same meaning as close as it gets. If you really want a compound noun you can just remove the "no" part and ta-da! instant compound word ("doubutsudeeta" one word)! Japanese is very flexible this way.

There is a thread somewhere where people ask about Japanese in games, and at least one thread discussing studying of the Japanese language. You can ask in that thread maybe, or make a new one more specified at asking for help with Japanese.

Sarahconner

October 11, 2016, 04:53:35 pm #355 Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 05:28:06 pm by Sarahconner
Yes!  Thank you, I can learn this way.  Much appreciated
https://translate.google.com/#ja/en/%E5%8B%95%E7%89%A9%E3%81%AE%E3%83%87%E3%83%BC%E3%82%BF
...I would've never come to this conclusion.  Whereas the ground I had covered led me to a translation of 'Animal made of.'

P

Yeah you just gotta get used to Japanese grammar.

MaxXimus

Someone figured out how to turn the old psx clip gameshark cartridges in to mod chip with a homebrew bios called unirom v6.

http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=722

I actually just got one of these gamesharks 2 days ago and am waiting on the psx. And then I read about this! GOLDEN!

security16

I learned how to read electronics schematics so now I actually know how they work and what it all means.  :)

MaxXimus

I learned that I'm at 3000 posts. Now to repost this in the post count milestone thread.