Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 24, 2019, 04:49:06 AM
Home Famicom World Search Calendar Login Register

+  Famicom World
|-+  Family Computer
| |-+  Technical & Repair Assistance (Moderators: manuel, L___E___T)
| | |-+  FDS Error 22 repair progress
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: FDS Error 22 repair progress  (Read 9886 times)
Elrinth
Disk System

« on: March 07, 2012, 11:08:49 PM »

Hi!

My FDS recently stopped working. I was showing some friends how hard the game Fire Rock was to play, mostly due to it's poor controls.
Anyways, so I popped in another FDS game just to show. Then suddenly none of my FDS disks read at all.
Error 22 constantly. So me and my friend opened up my FDS and since I had recently ordered a replacement belt I figured it was time to replace it. So following a guide @ http://www.famicomdisksystem.com/tutorials/fds-repair-mod/belt-replacement-adjustment/ I replaced the belt. Yet still error code 22.

So I figured I'd try to tweak the motor. But according to other pictures where there is a flathead screw, there simply isn't. There's just a black dot. Not that I had any screw driver which fit in the black dot diameter anyways. But I'm getting new screwdrivers tomorrow so I'll try to force into the hole to see if there's some invisible flathead screw underneath the black dot.

The other thing I'd try is to adjust the spindle hub. Just need some tool to allow me to get a hand on the springs. (also a purchase of tomorrow)

I'll get back here with info if I succeed in getting it working.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 04:31:47 PM by Elrinth » Logged
manuel
CIB maniac
Global Moderator
Disk-kun
Japan Japan

It'sa Mii, manuel

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 11:15:46 PM »

I dreadfully await that day, too... when all my disks stop working.
I hope my Twin Fami lasts long.
Looking forward to your further reports.

ericj
Sharp C1
United States United States

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 11:23:18 PM »

Error 22 is usually caused from a mis-aligned spindle hub. The speed adjustment potentiometer (which is present on all of the FDS drive motors under the black flap) probably wouldn't do much anyways.

You might want to try cleaning the magnetic read head with isopropyl alcohol and a cotton swab.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 02:46:14 PM by ericj » Logged

Parodius Duh
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 02:19:29 PM »

I think you mean restoration, not reparation. Unless you did something wrong to the FDS and are now paying him back for it.....

And as mentioned, chances are the spindle hub is misaligned. theres a tutorial on here, just scroll through the Technical and Repair assistance topics, If I find the link Ill edit my post...
fredJ
Sharp C1
Sweden Sweden

Let's dance

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 04:25:23 PM »

I think the information for FDS restoration is all here (or there) for you to read... Err 22 can be caused by a lot of things, dirty drive head being one and maybe most likely in your case.

It could also be that something wasn't put properly in place by the person who adjusted to system. Maybe the belt was a little twisted and moved slightly from its position during spinning, or he did the mistake of tuning the magnatic head screw and then it moved slightly back later by itself, or the disk writer wasn't properly screwed tight into the plastic case causing the disk to move.
All those things have actually occured me.
Now either you spend a couple of hours troubleshooting or you send it to someone who fixes it to you.. Cheesy Just don't expect us to have the magic solution like that "dad buy me a shotgun" guy.

Selling  Japanese games in Sweden since 2011 (as "japanspel").
blog: http://japanspel.blogspot.com
Elrinth
Disk System

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 04:38:40 PM »

I don't expect you to have the perfect solution, but maybe you can atleast give me some hints one what I should do! Smiley
Ok... so first things i notice. (Following this guide: http://www.famicomdisksystem.com/tutorials/fds-repair-mod/belt-replacement-adjustment/)
Their spindle can be moved

Mine looks like this (sorry about the large pictures, but I'm lazy and don't wanna resave them in smaller resolution):
1st pic
2nd pic
3rd pic
4th pic
5th pic
Edit1: Having reattached everything after aligning the spindle and now it doesn't do anything at all!
Edit2: Taking it appart again, then reassembling it and now it moves.
Moved the spindel from the "stuck" position I had put it in, and back to a position where it could move easily when turning either the spindle or the white cog.Now I'm getting Fire Rock to run again. However, I had a few error 22 and error 27 before it actually started... Sounds like a spindle misalignment right?

As ericj suggested I'm going to try to clean the read head aswell. just need to go to the gas station and get some 95% alcohol 1st.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 08:19:34 PM by Elrinth » Logged
fredJ
Sharp C1
Sweden Sweden

Let's dance

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 08:10:25 AM »

I got mine to work now finally.  Grin

Next time I get a drive without red glue on the magnetic head screw, I will assume it has been tampered with.

Lucky, I still had the broken drive that wouldn't move (http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=7117.msg105354#msg105354) and could compare the distance of the magnetic head to make them exactly the same. Then adjusting the spindle to be parallel in the starting position. And just like that, it worked. Do love it when it's so simple.  Cheesy

Thought it might help someone.  Cheesy

However, in the past I have noticed that the head adjustment screw is prone to move again, so it should be glued in place.

Selling  Japanese games in Sweden since 2011 (as "japanspel").
blog: http://japanspel.blogspot.com
Elrinth
Disk System

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 10:29:17 AM »

Just wanted to update this and say that after having cleaned the drive it's been working like a clock.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: