Comparing Virtual Boy with all other Nintendo Handhelds

Started by NintendoKing, July 09, 2012, 05:46:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NintendoKing

Heh, I laugh at the people whom put down Virtual Boy.

Specs of Nintendo Handhelds:

Gameboy (1989) 8-bit Graphics - 160x144 Resolution - 4-Bit Mono Sound - 4.19mhz Processor Speed

Virtual Boy (1995) 32-bit Graphics - 384x224 Resolution - 16-Bit Stereo Sound - 20-28Mhz Processor Speed

Gameboy Color (1998) 16-Bit Graphics - 160x144 Resolution - 4-Bit Mono Sound - 4-8mhz Processor Speed

Gameboy Advance (2001) 32-Bit Graphics (Never took full use of Graphics card) - 240x160 Resolution - 4-Bit Mono Sound - 16.8mhz Processor Speed

Nintendo DS (2004) 32-Bit Graphics - 256x192 Resolution - 8-Bit Stereo Sound - 33.514mhz Processor Speed

Nintendo 3DS (2011) 32-Bit (high render) Graphics - 320x240 Resolution - 16-Bit Stereo Sound - 268mhz Processor Speed

The reason why Virtual Boy was red LED screen based was simply because in 1995 they hadn't designed a LCD screen capable of displaying 32-Bit nor did they have screens capable of keeping up with 20+ MHz of processor speed without ultra lagginess. So Nintendo went for LEDs which would perform without any lag but couldn't show the full color spectrum.

In fact, you can now purchase Flash Cartridges for the Virtual Boy, and there are tons of great Homebrews including the amazing "Mario Kart Virtual Cup."

Also Nintendo 3DS' 3-D effects are subpar compared to Virtual Boys, and they cause just as much eyestrain and headaches.

The thing that killed Virtual Boy was its price and Goggle mount design, sadly most of VB's sales took place when it went on deep discount and by that time Virtual Boy had been shelved.

son_ov_hades

Bit of a fanboy huh?  :P

I've actually only played a virtual boy once, for like five minutes. I thought it was pretty cool, one of these days I'll have to get one.

famiac

I love the vb. i never get headaches from 3d (i'm so lucky)
It offers some unique games and a unique gaming experience and it's tremendous amounts of fun. But hey, people hate it. Yay for subjectivity.

NintendoKing

I am on my way to purchasing a FlashBoy+ so I can unlock my VB's full potential.

fredJ

If it had more than 1 color red I think it would have been great. Didn't know that thing you wrote about LED.
Selling  Japanese games in Sweden since 2011 (as "japanspel").
blog: http://japanspel.blogspot.com

NintendoKing

Red was the only affordable color, any other color would have raised the price more.

L___E___T

July 10, 2012, 03:46:33 am #6 Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 03:54:38 am by L___E___T
VB isn't really a handheld, it has it's own controller after all.  It just has a built-in screen and can run on batteries.

However, it is brilliant I think, if you like retro systems.  I have most Japanese VB hardware and software now, apart from 'the big four' as they fetch serious money and it's just not where I want to invest.

The Red and black has charm.  I don't mind the redscale just like I don't mind the gameboy's greenscale if you want to call it that.  The VB even feels somewhat widescreen and the 3D is indeed better than the 3DS's.

While I'm a VB fanboy now through having played one, the cause of failure wasn't just because it gave people headaches.  Think about it.  This thing was the basically the power of two gameboys, competing with the SNES and even 32-bit consoles.  It was ludicrous. 

Unfortunately, had it been full colour it could have been quite special.  With only black and three shades of red it could never compete even if they sold it cheap.  A shame it was pushed through R&D at Nintendo but at the same time, as a European I greatly appreciate it.  We never saw it discounted here because it didn't even get that far. 

The homebrew scene is quite good and it's worth picking it up just for Warioland I'd say.  If you can get a Flashboy and play Bound High! even better, you won't look back!

Post Merge: July 10, 2012, 03:54:38 am

Quote from: The Uninvited Gremlin on July 09, 2012, 11:22:43 pm
Red was the only affordable color, any other color would have raised the price more.

Forgot to add that red was also chosen as it has the least motion blur, compared to blue or green, which were also more expensive as you say.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

NintendoKing

Well said, if it had been full color VB would have become king and Nintendo would be more advanced because Gunpei Yokoi pushed towards the future while Shigeru Miyamoto went budgety and just finally caught up with what Yokoi did 17 years ago.

fredJ

Quote from: L___E___T on July 10, 2012, 03:46:33 am
VB isn't really a handheld, it has it's own controller after all.  It just has a built-in screen and can run on batteries.
I have most Japanese VB hardware and software now, apart from 'the big four' as they fetch serious money and it's just not where I want to invest.

What are those games, sir?  :-[

NintendoKing

The Japan only games are Virtual Bowling, Space Squash, Space Invaders, SD Gundam Dimension War, Innsmouth no Yakata, Virtual Fishing, and Virtual Lab.

L___E___T

July 10, 2012, 03:25:17 pm #10 Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 03:30:42 pm by L___E___T
Well,'the big four' are Virtual Bowling, Space Invaders, SD Gundam and Virtual Lab.

Innsmouth no Yakata, Virtual Fishing and Space Squash can still be costly (in that order highest to lowest), but 'the big four' sell for thousands each CIB.

I got a brand new Innsmouth no Yakata and Virtual Fishing each for about $100.  Space Squash new is about $75, but you can pick it up much cheaper used of course.  Used Innsmouth no Yakata will still be expensive though, as will Virtual Fishing, I just managed to snag a deal from a UK based importer.  Check out videogameimports.com and compare their prices to the old eBay nonsense. 
They're selling new games for less than some cart only prices I've seen from some madmen on ice.  Top guys.

A Flashboy+ will cost you around $150, but is well worth it and a fun tool.  I've used it more than my Powerpak, because there are some fun homebrews around and to check out 'the big four' which although not good games, is pretty much the only way I'd play them otherwise.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

petik1

Quote from: The Uninvited Gremlin on July 10, 2012, 08:08:24 am
Well said, if it had been full color VB would have become king and Nintendo would be more advanced because Gunpei Yokoi pushed towards the future while Shigeru Miyamoto went budgety and just finally caught up with what Yokoi did 17 years ago.

Miyamoto was involved with hardware back then?

NintendoKing

Quote from: petik1 on July 10, 2012, 06:00:40 pm
Quote from: The Uninvited Gremlin on July 10, 2012, 08:08:24 am

Miyamoto was involved with hardware back then?

Yes as Gunpei Yokoi's apprentice; then when Yokoi got fired then died Miyamoto took over.

Frank_fjs

I don't hate the VB, I just feel that general eBay prices are way too high for a console with a limited games library, awkward design and high failure rate. The same money could land you any number of consoles which will provide many more hours of gaming enjoyment.

YHJ prices are okay, you can generally nab a boxed unit in good condition for $60-$80, but eBay seems to triple that price and I'm not paying $200 plus shipping for a console that will seldom get used after the novelty factor has worn off.

fredJ

I've seen several NIB recently. Suppose those units they found in storage in the Middle East made their way to Japan.