List of Disk Writer releases

Started by JC, April 25, 2007, 11:36:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JC

April 25, 2007, 11:36:13 pm Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 05:04:14 pm by JC
I don't have a clue which games were available in Disk Writers, but I'm hoping some of you can list some that were. I'd like to have a full list for the site. ("DW exclusive" means the game was officially released as a disk only with Disk Writers.)

Akumajou Dracula
Akumajou Dracula II
Bomberman -- DW exclusive
Bubble Bobble
Burger Time -- DW exclusive
Dig Dug -- DW exclusive
Dig Dug II -- DW exclusive
Donkey Kong -- DW exclusive
Donkey Kong Jr. -- DW exclusive
Elevator Action -- DW exclusive
Exciting Soccer: Konami Cup
Famicom Mukashi Banashi Yuuyuuki Kouhen
Famicom Mukashi Banashi Yuuyuuki Zenpen
Famicom Tanteikurabu: Kieta Koukeisha Kouhen
Famicom Tanteikurabu: Kieta Koukeisha Zenpen
Famicom Tanteikurabu II: Ushiro ni Tatsu Shoujo Kouhen
Famicom Tanteikurabu II: Ushiro ni Tatsu Shoujo Zenpen
Galaga -- DW exclusive
Galaxian -- DW exclusive
The Goonies
Gun.Smoke
Gyruss
Hikari Shinwa (Kid Icarus)
Ice Climber -- DW exclusive
Ice Hockey
Kaettekita Mario Bros. -- DW exclusive
Konami Tennis
Lutter -- DW exclusive
Mahjong
Matou no Houkai
Metroid
Moero Twin Bee
Nazo no Murasamejou
Pac-Man -- DW exclusive
Pachinko GP
Pinball -- DW exclusive
Pro Wrestling
Puyo Puyo -- DW exclusive
SD Gundam World: Gachapon Senshi Scramble Wars
SD Gundam World: Gachapon Senshi Scramble Wars Map Collection
Shin Onigashima
Shin Onigashima 2
Silvania: Ai Ippai no Boukensha
Solomon no Kagi -- DW exclusive
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2
Vs. Excitebike
Wrecking Crew
Zelda no Densetsu: The Hyrule Fantasy

featherplucknfilms

Hmm, well officially verified by the Disk Writer Game case are SMB, SMB2, Volleyball, Baseball, Golf, Soccer, Metroid, Nazo no Murasamejou, and Zelda. 
Besides that I would have to base it on the foldout manuals and disk labels I've seen since they came with the game if it was written by the Disk Writer.  Off the top of my head I can remember seeing Vs. Excitebike, Zelda 2, SD Gundam World Scramble Wars, SD Gundam World Scramble Wars Map Collection, Exciting Soccer, Ice Hockey, Famicom Tantei Kurabu Parts 1 + 2 and disks 1 + 2, Pachinko GP, Konamic Tennis, Bubble Bobble, Akumajou Dracula, Mah Jong, Sylviana, Pro Wres, Goonies, Wrecking Crew, Pac-Man...
That's all I can think of right now. Of course this is not a verified list, but based on the randomness of the games, I wouldn't be suprised if every game by a major publisher was available on the Disk Writer at some store at some time. 
Actually, now that I think about it too, only having 9 games available for writing at a given time is a pretty small selection.  I wonder how often they updated the games at the stores. 

JC

There's a book that lists all of the Disk Writer releases, so I'm told. One day I'll get a copy and have manuel translate a release list.

manuel

I'd like to have that book. :D Do you happen to know the title?

JC

I've searched Disk Writer on YHJ and had it pop up a couple of times. I don't know its name. It's got a cute Disk-kun holding a 100yen coin on the front or back.

wentle85

August 07, 2008, 10:03:25 pm #5 Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 10:06:33 pm by wentle85
So when you bought a Disk Writer download you also got a copy of the cover and a manual? If that's right then how can I tell the difference by looking at them. I want to be sure that if I'm paying full price for something CIB on eBay, that it's a factory copy and not a download. I have no problem with a Disk Writer game, I just want to make sure I know what I am paying for.

EDIT - Righto, thanks for the info!

JC

When you wrote a game from a Disk Writer, you could mail in (stores might have had some, as well) for disk labels and a foldout manual. You wouldn't get anything else; no bound manual, no cover art, no cover. And, just FYI, you didn't really "download" -- I guess you could call a pirate a download, since they can be written from PCs. With a Disk Writer, you'd write a game from an NES cart to a blank disk using a Nintendo machine.

HERE and HERE

ckenda1

January 28, 2009, 04:41:57 pm #7 Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 04:53:07 pm by ckenda1
Shin Onigashima, Shin Onigashima 2, Pro Wrestling, Matou no Houkai, Gunsmoke, Hikari Shinwa (Kid Icarus), Metroid, Dracula 2 and Super Mario Bros 2j were released via Disk Writer.

Ice Climber was released via DW and was an exclusive.

nensondubois

All Night Nippon is Disk Writer as well as the radio promo.

JC

All Night Nippon has never been confirmed as a Disk Writer release.

nensondubois

It was probably just the Super Mario Bros. disk than.

ckenda1

Famicom Mukashi Banashi Yuuyuuki Kouhen
Famicom Mukashi Banashi Yuuyuuki Zenpen

UglyJoe

In Family Computer 1983-1994 (the book that the Tokyo Metropolitan Museum put out), I'm pretty sure pages 152 and 153 (the ones that have a picture of the writable disk and the disk writer kiosk) are listing the official Disk Writer games.

ckenda1

UglyJoe,

You are right, sort of.  I just checked my book.

What it does give a list of Disk Writer exclusives!!  What it doesn't give is an exhaustive list of all Disk Writer games.

Here is the list from the book:

Kinekoll
Super Lode Runner II
Twinbee
Goonies
Donkey Kong
Akunsenki Raijin
Moon Ball Magic
Donkey Kong Jr
Tanigawa Kouji no Syougishinan II Tsumeshogi/Tsugi no Itte
Eggerland Souzou heno Tabidachi
Burgertime
Pachicom
Ice Climber
SD Gundam World Gachapon Senshi Scramble Wars
Kaettekita Mario Bros
Wrecking Crew
SD Gundam World Gachapon Senshi Scramble Wars Map Collection
Pinball
Lutter
Bomberman
Xevious
Pac-Man
Galaga
Galaxian
Dig Dug
Dig Dug II
Panic Space
Puzzle Boys
Ishidou
Solomon no Kagi
All 1
Clocks
Puyo Puyo
Clu Clu Land
Janken Disk Jou

I'll update this later with Publishers and Release Dates (but those above are in order of release)

RGB_Gamer

Quote from: JC on August 07, 2008, 10:34:27 pm
With a Disk Writer, you'd write a game from an NES cart to a blank disk using a Nintendo machine.

were they really NES carts? I have seen pics of the Disk Writer and often wondered what the carts were? Were the carts in the DW actual NES carts and/or games that could be played in an actual system?

Those carts must be rare. I don't suppose the DW could use any cart?