March 28, 2024, 06:10:19 pm

Last Movie/Show You Saw?

Started by Doc, July 29, 2006, 11:13:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Epic_Lotus

I saw The Hobbit over the weekend, as well. 

Boy was I disappointed.  If you're a fan specifically of Peter Jackson's Middle Earth and want more of the same, then The Hobbit is probably going to be a great movie for you.  If you're a fan of the actual book and are hoping for a more light-hearted romp through Tolkien's Middle Earth, you're going to be sorely disappointed.  The movie is seriously dark at times, and most definitely not a children's story like the original.  There were some highlights to the film regardless of which camp you fall into, but they weren't enough for me.  Overall, it felt like I was watching a prequel to LOTR, not a story that stands up on its own just fine (which it could have been).

manuel

Quote from: jpx72 on December 12, 2012, 09:39:21 pm
:star: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey :star:

I saw it, too, yesterday. In HFR 3D.
The ticket was even cheaper than expected. 1500 Yen + 100 Yen for the 3D glasses. Still expensive, but whatcha gonna do.

I enjoyed it. The almost 3 hours went by without feeling the urge to look at the clock. This is my way of measuring whether a movie is interesting or not.  ;D

It wasn't perfect (the rock giant fight was cheesy and a bit overdone imo), but good enough for me.
I'll definitely watch part 2, too.

Jedi Master Baiter

December 22, 2012, 01:54:18 am #2222 Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 01:59:59 am by Jedi QuestMaster

Epic_Lotus

I watched Total Recall (2012), Dark Shadows (2012), and Trouble With the Curve over the holiday weekend.  Out of all three, I think I enjoyed Trouble With the Curve the most.  It had a good story and was solidly done, and you don't even have to be a sports fan to enjoy it (though, I'm sure that helps).  4/5  :star: :star: :star: :star:.

Total Recall was better than I expected.  Colin Ferrel was pretty good, although Kate Beckinsale kind of sucked in her role.  Jessica Biel had a good turn in the movie, and she was a lot more believable of a character.  Still, it doesn't quite beat the Arnold version (especially since there are some rather different plot points).  3/5   :star: :star: :star:.

Dark Shadows was just... bizarre.  It was like it wanted to be funny and creepy at the same time, but not creepy-funny.  It didn't work.  On top of that, there were some really gaping plot holes that took me out of the film.  I don't know if the missing pieces were homages to the tv show or if they just expected the audience to glaze over them, but it really took the movie down a few (important) notches.  2/5   :star: :star:.

manuel

After watching The Hobbit I busted out my LotR trilogy DVD set and watched The Fellowship of the Ring yesterday.
If nothing other comes up I'll watch The Two Towers tonight and Return of the King tomorrow.  :)

Ryo

Epic_Lotus

Downton Abbey Revisited

My wife and I are big Downton fans, and this special look back/look ahead was fun to watch.  The new season airs on Masterpiece Contemporary next week on PBS, although we'll probably watch it online on www.pbs.org

Speaking of which, if anyone here is a fan of the show and a fan of Breaking Bad, the Colbert Report did a hilarious mash-up spoof of the two shows about a week and a half ago that featured actual actors from Downton.  It was absolutely hilarious, and you can find it on Hulu.

JC

The Last Stand. It was OK...but a proud moment, since it was filmed in my little town.

smeghead

Local Hero. It's good movie !

Jedi Master Baiter

Death Race 2000! :o ;D :P

Didn't expect Sly to be in this.

petik1

Warm Bodies. Really good movie, I didn't expect to laugh as much as I did.

Also, there was a PSP in it. Not a PSVita. A PSP. In 2013. Way to go, Sony.

manuel

Dawn of the Dead (2004 version)

Cheetahmen

Life is too short to be little.
Twitter | DeviantArt | Youtube | Twitch

Nightstar699

Zangief and Bison almost saved that movie for me, if its portrayal of my beloved Sumo King wasn't so pitiful and insulting...
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...