Last game you beat (including Famicom)

Started by Doc, July 29, 2006, 11:29:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

nerdynebraskan

RoboCop (NES)

It's a childhood favorite I've had completely conquered, if not completely memorized for nearly 20 years now. I've been playing this quite a bit over the last few days, because I picked up a stack of copies for cheap at my local game store. It's a good repro donor cart, and I'm testing them before shipping them off for trade credit on some repro work.

I may need to re-watch the movie soon...
Can Nintendo Age Beat Every NES Game in 2015?

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=140551

nerdynebraskan

Astyanax (NES)

I finally beat it for the first time yesterday. The stopwatch spell was very useful.
Can Nintendo Age Beat Every NES Game in 2015?

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=140551

Shumi Nagaremono

Sonic 2. 

Found a copy of Sonic Jam for the Saturn for a price I couldn't pass up.  Popped in the console just to check out how the emulation was...and wound up playing all the way through Sonic 2.  For the first time ever. 

BaconBitsKing

I beat Super Castlevania IV the other day, and I'm about to beat Zelda 1 on FDS.

Issun

Quote from: P on June 27, 2015, 07:12:45 am
I think I only beat the first scenario in that game. Gotta get back to it sometime.

You really should, It's a fun game!

Went through North & South: Wakuwaku Nanboku Sensou (Famicom) just now. Played Level 1 South vs Level 3 North in 1864. Finished in 5 months, feeling a bit rusty.

Protoman

Issun

I just completed all 32 (+7 on the second lap) mountains in Ice Climber on Famicom. Used 4 continues after Game Over. My goal was sub 5 and I almost made it in 3, died just at the end of mountain 30 due to a mistake.

Had a hard time with the game as a kid but I've always somehow liked it though. When you've learned the controls properly it gets really addictive.

fcgamer

Last night I played through Dragon Knife.  It is an awesome game, and a great (unofficial) sequel to the Double Dragon series to boot.  Highly recommended.
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

Zycrow

Beat Little Nemo: The Dream Master.

I think the difficulty of this game is a bit too high for what it is - I feel like it should be closer to the Kid Dracula/Kirby's Adventure level. But I really enjoyed it, I used to play the game in rental stores a lot when I was a kid. I think back then I couldn't even clear the first stage.

The final stage was super stressful but I found the final boss to be pretty easy.
Favorites: Castlevania, Metroid, Namco 18

Protoman

I hated Little Nemo. I thought I was going to like it but I didn't When out of a 'suit' you're completely fucked as all you can do is freeze enemies (in your way, so you're blocked from progressing lest you take damage!) and in a suit it's not a picnic either. And last but not least, respawning enemies~

Nightstar699

Quote from: Zycrow on July 16, 2015, 05:54:53 am
Kid Dracula/Kirby's Adventure level.

Wat. Kid Dracula is way, way harder than Kirby's Adventure... and Little Nemo, for that matter. Nemo becomes quite easy when you replay it, once you learn when and where to swap suits.

Quote from: Protoman on July 16, 2015, 06:24:13 am
And last but not least, respawning enemies~

The enemies have to respawn, otherwise you'd get into situations where you'd have no way to acquire a particular suit, and would therefore be literally unable to progress.
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

Protoman

Quote from: Nightstar699 on July 16, 2015, 07:37:11 am
Quote from: Protoman on July 16, 2015, 06:24:13 am
And last but not least, respawning enemies~

The enemies have to respawn, otherwise you'd get into situations where you'd have no way to acquire a particular suit, and would therefore be literally unable to progress.

Good point! I guess that wouldn't be a problem if you weren't so gimped as suitless Nemo.

Zycrow

Quote from: Nightstar699 on July 16, 2015, 07:37:11 am
Wat. Kid Dracula is way, way harder than Kirby's Adventure... and Little Nemo, for that matter. Nemo becomes quite easy when you replay it, once you learn when and where to swap suits.

Maybe I'm not just remembering the more difficult bits, but I sat down and cruised through Kid Dracula in an afternoon. I found the limitations that Nemo put on you to be more difficult - like not always being able to attack enemies and having to memorize a certain sequence of suit swaps.

I am talking about the Famicom Kid Dracula, by the way. I haven't ever played the one for Game Boy.

Protoman

Yakuza 2, HD version, japanese version.

This makes it the 7th(!) Yakuza game I've beaten that was japanese-only. Now there's only Yakuza 5 left  8)

Zycrow

Arkista's Ring, one of those odd little obscure games released by American Sammy. My childhood buddy down the street owned this game and I'd borrow it from him a lot. I stumbled across a copy over the weekend and snapped it up - it's fun and well designed, but eventually wears out its welcome. It has a brief 32 or so stages, but you have to complete four full loops of them (with stronger, faster enemies each time) to "really" beat the game.

I wouldn't recommend this. By the middle of the second loop, you've almost certainly found all of the game's items, meaning the rest is just endurance and managing your one-time use items. For all that you just get a black screen with "Thanks for helping me rescue Arkista's Ring," and a frozen shot of your final stats and items. Better just to complete one loop and call it there.

One of the stranger rare items in the game is the "Wealth Ring," which increases your score by 100 points with each step. Since points have no use in the game - you don't get extra lives or anything and they don't even reset at game over - it's more curiosity than anything else. You may notice I have more than 2 million points there at the end. Good lord.