The Nintendo NX Thread - The Nintendo Switch Revealed!

Started by L___E___T, October 20, 2016, 05:07:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

L___E___T

October 20, 2016, 05:07:28 am Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 07:17:41 am by L___E___T

Well, with the official unveiling showcase around the corner - let's add all updates and impressions here for this little machine.  I know I'm excited to see more :)

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/788900063833493504

My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

tonev

10 minutes to the reveal of the trailer can't wait
I am back everyone :)

L___E___T

October 20, 2016, 06:59:50 am #2 Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 07:06:30 am by L___E___T

Video is here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5uik5fgIaI

Coming March 2017 - didn't expect that!  Better get a couple pre-orders in.

Also surprised they showed Skyrim - but nice to have some 3rd party games confirmed.
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

tonev

The name is epic the nintendo switch ^^
edit:
L_E_T rename the tread to "switch" instead of NX :D

L___E___T

October 20, 2016, 07:14:53 am #4 Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 07:44:05 am by L___E___T

Oh I did - but maybe it didn't save.  Changed.  shot of the controllers and stuff here too:

I feel optimistic about this one though - what do you think FW?  price will need to be sensible, but I'll get one for Zelda as long as it's under £400 with the system and game.
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

JessicaWolf

So this is my $0.02

It's a very PS Vita type design, and sort of what the Vita tried to be, with the ability to play away from the PS3 or PS4 system.

They are moving to cartridges to try and reduce piracy.

System will more than likely be region locked, just based on my current feelings of how the company wants to go (no hard proof of this)

I am curious what the mobile mode battery life will be for those little controllers and tablet (I suspect 3 to 6 hours)

I imagine the screen repair business is going to thank Nintendo for all the business, because kids will drop and abuse such a large touch screen (the 3DS screen is smaller and harder to break)

I wonder if this is going to replace the 3DS in the end (I think it will, sadly)

Yay, more small parts and accessories to lose and be charged extra for :D
Here are a few games I am looking for right now
Super Puzzle Fighter II X (Sega Saturn)
GeGeGe no Kotarou (Sega Saturn)
Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu (Sega Saturn)
KiKi KaiKai (PC Engine) (CIB)
Puzzle Bobble (Super Famicom) (CIB)

GreenKoopa

Quote from: L___E___T on October 20, 2016, 07:14:53 am

Oh I did - but maybe it didn't save.  Changed.  shot of the controllers and stuff here too:

I feel optimistic about this one though - what do you think FW?  price will need to be sensible, but I'll get one for Zelda as long as it's under £400 with the system and game.

At the moment, the only time i have for playing games is on the train to and from work.  I previously looked at the 3DS, but the graphics are quite poor and found them hard on my eyes.  So in the end, i went for a PS vita which i have been thoroughly enjoying but have sadly missed my nintendo games. 

I'm definitely a nintendo loyalist, but do like and respect the Playstation series also. It is great to see nintendo on the leading edge, rather than play catch up to sony and microsoft. The switch is really what the wii u should have been. 

I was worried about recent rumours that the switch would not provide full mobile gaming, but instead some cut down BS mobile version of a game for mobile play while enjoying the full game at home.  Thankfully that was not true as it would have killed nintendo's console business for sure!

The question is, will sony and Microsoft turn their consoles into the same form factor? Could be the dawn of a new era in console turned mobile gaming.

Overall, i am so excited for this release and will be buying one.  I will definitely get a limited edition console if available at launch.   

Also, i heard the vita is great for running nintendo emulators, so i might keep my vita for retro video gaming on the go...  Unless we get a flash cart for the switch.   8)

chowder

P

Just like I thought! A portable console with a docking station for playing on the TV. I guess it's the natural evolution of the Wii U. But I thought the docking station would also have an optical disc drive for backwards compatibility with Wii U, but it doesn't look like that in the trailer.

Cartridges are more suitable for a portable device so I don't think it's so much about piracy. It's using cartridges for the same reasons that the 3DS is doing it.

I wonder if it has any advantaged when docked besides ability to hook up to the TV.

tonev

Quote from: P on October 21, 2016, 07:20:27 am
Just like I thought! A portable console with a docking station for playing on the TV. I guess it's the natural evolution of the Wii U. But I thought the docking station would also have an optical disc drive for backwards compatibility with Wii U, but it doesn't look like that in the trailer.

Cartridges are more suitable for a portable device so I don't think it's so much about piracy. It's using cartridges for the same reasons that the 3DS is doing it.

I wonder if it has any advantaged when docked besides ability to hook up to the TV.

Having an optical drive will just make it more bulky and fatter and also more expensive because in order for them to have backwards compatibility with the wiiu they will have to put wiiu 's cpu because they are running on a different architecture . Think of it how the first models of ps3 had some ps2 components in order for the console to be able to play ps2 discs . 

P

I meant an optical drive for the docking station only, not for the portable part. That way you could play Wii U discs at home.

Yeah PS3 is too different from PS2 for backwards compatibility to work well. But the Gamecube, Wii and Wii U are all using the same PowerPC family of processor architectures so that's why they are capable of such accurate backwards compatibility. However, I haven't heard what hardware Nintendo Switch will use yet, I read somewhere that the GPU is apparently going to be Nvidia.

MasterDisk

I'm definitely buying one!

The only downside will be the online service which will be a monthly-subscription starting Fall. They are following Microsoft and Sony footsteps there but hopefully it'll be cheaper (and better than Sony's, but that ain't hard I guess ;D)

L___E___T

Yup, pre-ordered this morning before they sold out, mainly for Zelda at launch and this:

Looking forward to online multiplayer-enabled NES and SNES games though
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ti9rFafwTw

Notable points:

Price Japan: 29 980 yen
Price America: $299.99

Region Free!

Joy-Con:
Two removable wireless controllers
Joy-Con L: Up, Down, Left, Right, Analogue L-Stick, Minus Button, Capture Button, L, ZL, SL, SR, Acceleration Sensor, Gyro Sensor, HD Rumble,
Joy-Con R: A, B, X, Y, Analogue R-Stick, Plus Button, Home Button, R, ZR, SL, SR, Acceleration Sensor, Gyro Sensor, HD Rumble, Motion IR Camera, Amiibo Reader/Writer

Each controller also has a SYNC and Release button, but I don't think they can be programmed, so they don't really count. Also 4 LEDs indicating players.

The grip seems to have no functionality besides being ergonomic.
The analogue controller sticks also doubles as buttons, like the analogue joysticks on Dualshock.
No real D-pad? The directional buttons seems to be individual buttons so that it's possible to push two opposing directions at the same time. I guess it's to make the controller more compact so they can be used like normal face buttons as well.
The rumble motors "HD rumble" are quite advanced and can simulate the feeling of holding a glass of ice or water.
The SL and SR shoulder buttons can be used when holding each controller like a Famicom controller. They seems to be inaccessible when the Joy-Cons are docked to the base unit or the grip since they are placed on the rail.
The Pro Controller seems to have all buttons of the Switch controller except SL/SR and the directional buttons is a real cross button D-pad. I guess it doesn't have all the sensors though.
There are the Joy-Con Strap that can be slided on to each controller, and adds a strap and two bigger SL/SR buttons.
Both Joy-Cons and Straps comes in other colours. That's good I think the matte black looked really boring on the Switch.
In other words lots of gimmicks. I love that! :)

Screen: 1280 x 720 progressive, 6.2 inch, multi-touch, light sensor (automatically adjusts brightness)
Resolution on TV: Up to 1080p
Internal Storage Memory: 32 GB (partly used by the system), expandable via SD cards.

Seems like Nintendo got ahold of more third-party developers this time around? That bodes well.
Super Mario Odyssey looks fun, and of course Zelda!

They got Söderlund's name totally wrong. It should be ソーデルルンド and not ソーダランド! Amateurs!

Mo-hd

Another disappointing underpowered console by Nintendo...

Quote from: P on January 13, 2017, 05:14:18 am
Internal Storage Memory: 32 GB (partly used by the system), expandable via SD cards.

Talking about the storage. Why adding less storage and make it hard for the player. the GC games size are 1.5 GB, Wii: 4.7 GB / 8.54 GB, Wii U: 25 GB, Switch expect 25-35 GB.