The Nintendo NX Thread - The Nintendo Switch Revealed!

Started by L___E___T, October 20, 2016, 05:07:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghegs

They seem to throwing every gimmick possible at the thing. I was fairly sure it wouldn't have a touch screen, because of the whole docking station thing, but there you go. I'm worried all those gimmicks will just mean the system lacks a clear focus, since some of gimmicks are mutually exclusive.

"HD rumble" sounds like the most pointless thing ever. But then, I always turn rumble off for gamepads if at all possible. Don't care for it personally.

It's amusing how Nintendo has gone completely off the hook with separate parts. There's the console. The dock. Two Joy-Cons. Two Joy-Con Straps. The Joy-Con Grip. Back in the FC days it was just the console and you couldn't even remove the controllers. Now there's tons of parts to lose track of...

Lookit that, they managed to resurrect Wild Gunman yet again!

Major props for being region free, though.

Quote from: P on January 13, 2017, 05:14:18 am
Seems like Nintendo got ahold of more third-party developers this time around? That bodes well.

Wii U had plenty of third-party devs "signed up" when the system was revealed, but most never actually did anything with it. Give it time.

Quote from: Mo-hd on January 13, 2017, 06:59:15 am
Internal Storage Memory: 32 GB (partly used by the system), expandable via SD cards.

Talking about the storage. Why adding less storage and make it hard for the player. the GC games size are 1.5 GB, Wii: 4.7 GB / 8.54 GB, Wii U: 25 GB, Switch expect 25-35 GB.

You're not going to be installing the games to it, though. The storage is for user profiles, save files, virtual console games, DLC, etc. Still a really small amount, mind. Cheaper for them to put in 32GB and let people buy their own SD cards.

P

Another disappointing underpowered console by Nintendo...

We don't know the specifications yet. Storage memory is like the least interesting parameter.

Quote from: Ghegs on January 13, 2017, 09:57:25 am
"HD rumble" sounds like the most pointless thing ever.

Yeah I also have trouble figuring out how this could be meaningful in a game. But I like Nintendo's spirit of inventing, and I think most of the earlier gimmicks like the Wii's nunchaku remocon and the DS touch-screen was great ideas. Although I don't think every game needs to use them. Some games are best played using traditional controllers.

Major props for being region free, though.

Finally! ;D
Although the suggested price here is much higher than in Japan at the moment, so I might still be importing the console as it looks now.

Seems like Nintendo got ahold of more third-party developers this time around? That bodes well.

Wii U had plenty of third-party devs "signed up" when the system was revealed, but most never actually did anything with it. Give it time.

I see, the system just never took off enough for developers to make anything. But still Nintendo's portable consoles has always been popular, so I think Nintendo will have a better chance this time. It's like the sequel to the DS/GameBoy series.

Internal Storage Memory: 32 GB (partly used by the system), expandable via SD cards.

Talking about the storage. Why adding less storage and make it hard for the player. the GC games size are 1.5 GB, Wii: 4.7 GB / 8.54 GB, Wii U: 25 GB, Switch expect 25-35 GB.

You're not going to be installing the games to it, though. The storage is for user profiles, save files, virtual console games, DLC, etc. Still a really small amount, mind. Cheaper for them to put in 32GB and let people buy their own SD cards.

Yeah and since the games comes on cartridges instead of optical discs, installing games is totally pointless. Accessing the cartridge is probably not any slower than accessing the SD card or internal storage memory.
I always buy the cartridge version of 3DS games (save for the ones I got for free in campaigns), as I think the download version is just a ridiculous waste of space and too risky if my SD card breaks after Nintendo's download service has ended so I won't be able to redownload them.

Download versions of games and download exclusives will probably still be available though, like on the 3DS.

GreenKoopa

Another disappointing underpowered console by Nintendo...

I think most of nintendo's consoles have never been the market leaders in power, but so what? For me, 720p is fine, especially on a small portable screen.

Since nintendo have unified a portable and home console into one I think it guarantees success. Also, having the joy cons split into two separate controllers is great for social play. I think these are the two most important features of the system and will be the game changer for nintendo.

I never bought a 3DS, because the screen was too small and graphics weren't good enough so i was forced to get a ps vita. The vita is good, but have a small game library due lack of support from sony in the west, plus i don't get nintendo games on there :p I only get a chance to play games on the train so the console must be portable. For me, a nintendo switch is exactly what i need.   I have preordered the switch for day 1 pickup with zelda and am looking forward to it. 

P

Quote from: GreenKoopa on January 14, 2017, 01:43:04 pm
I think most of nintendo's consoles have never been the market leaders in power, but so what? For me, 720p is fine, especially on a small portable screen.

Yeah with the exception of Super Famicom. It had a slow CPU with only 3.58 MHz in the best cases (PC Engine had 7.16 MHz and Mega Drive had 7.67 MHz) but was otherwise very powerful.
The Gamecube was also powerful, more so than the PS2, but it still didn't stand a chance against Sony. Then came the Wii and PS3 and this time around the PS3 was the more powerful and was the one to loose to Nintendo (it started to sell later though). So yeah powerful hardware can't be that important.

The Switch built-in screen is 720p. On the TV it supports up to 1080p.

Oh and I discovered two more buttons: The analogue sticks also works as buttons when pushing them, kind of like the Dualshock's analogue joysticks.

PatMan33

Looks good to me. Release schedule is a little light. But the fully-loaded console launch is ever the elusive promise, so whatever. Holiday 2017 should be pretty rad, though.

Mo-hd

Quote from: P on January 13, 2017, 10:54:02 am

Yeah and since the games comes on cartridges instead of optical discs, installing games is totally pointless. Accessing the cartridge is probably not any slower than accessing the SD card or internal storage memory.
I always buy the cartridge version of 3DS games (save for the ones I got for free in campaigns), as I think the download version is just a ridiculous waste of space and too risky if my SD card breaks after Nintendo's download service has ended so I won't be able to redownload them.

Download versions of games and download exclusives will probably still be available though, like on the 3DS.

I know that Nintendo make the console as less cost as can. but when i think about future games that may added to the VC make me a bit disturbed. even if they add the 3DS games sizes are 1-4 GB. the Switch Supports Memory Cards Up To 2TB so purchasing an SD for download games is must.

BTW i'm happy to see Xenoblade Chronicles 2 :star:

P

I seriously doubt it will be powerful enough to emulate 3DS games. Adding 200 GB flash would maybe almost double the price, and adding a mechanical hdd is out of the question for a portable device like this.
32 GB is the same as the Wii U Premium, and that is a non-portable optical disk based system that actually benefits from running the games from flash memory (although it also supports external harddrives). Unless there are games that save lots of data I don't think storage will be a big problem. A big SDXC card is probably nice to have though.

Yeah Xenoblade looks cool. Although it's the third game, they give it the number 2. They probably want to forget that X even exists.

BTW I think it's time for a new F-Zero!

MasterDisk

They seem to throwing every gimmick possible at the thing. I was fairly sure it wouldn't have a touch screen, because of the whole docking station thing, but there you go. I'm worried all those gimmicks will just mean the system lacks a clear focus, since some of gimmicks are mutually exclusive.

"HD rumble" sounds like the most pointless thing ever. But then, I always turn rumble off for gamepads if at all possible. Don't care for it personally.

2 guys I know got to go to the NSwitch event in Paris and said the HD rumble was quite a good surprise. You may not like it but I'm certain it'll has its uses (and personally I like controllers with rumble)

P

I imagine it could be usefull in motion controll situations. Like when aiming with a bow it could maybe shift the weights to simulate the bow and string getting tensioned or something.

We'll just have to wait to see how good it actually is.

FamicomFreak

They better have good third party games or I'm going back to my disk system! AWA!
Retro Gaming Life  www.retrogaminglife.com

L___E___T

Quick check on our dear beloved forum - has anyone else cancelled their pre-order yet?  I'm on the verge of scrapping mine.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Raverrevolution

Haven't cancelled mine, but the hype in me really died down a bunch.

With that said I'm still looking forward to opening up the box, setting it up, and playing with it.

It's going to suck having to fork over $60 for a game and maybe $70 for another controller to play with friends just because they couldn't include a pack in game.  I'm actually really worried that when I get mine I'll have nothing to play on it.

It will suck if by the holiday 2017 season there haven't been any significant releases.  I will get pissed if I buy Zelda now and then the only next justifiable game to purchase is Mario around November while they introduce a $50 price drop.

They need games like Resident Evil 7, Shenmue 3, Double Dragon 4, and random other ones like that that I would look forward to.  If it's just Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, Metroid, and Super Smash Bros like every other god damn Nintendo console of the last 15 years then I'm totally selling mine. 

L___E___T

I agree - £50 for a game on an N Gage card is overstepping it by a lot IMO.  And then £70 for a controller is nuts.

I only really want to play Zelda, and I could just get a cheap used WiiU to do that, at any point in the future right?

I've already decided I am not going to get one right now after all.  I bought two pairs of designer shoes instead so I will just cancel my pre-order.

If anyone in the UK here is desperate for one they can have my pre-order at cost - it's already sold out everywhere.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

P

Haven't cancelled since I never pre-ordered. I might wait a little until after launch and see if prices goes down.

But I'm not any less hyped than before, especially not now when they just anounced a whole bunch of new Fire Emblem games (although only two is for Switch and one of them is just a Fire Emblem-themed Musou game), and I still really want to play the new Zelda.

Quote from: Raverrevolution on January 19, 2017, 12:14:30 pm
Double Dragon 4

Haha yeah I always also wanted a modern Double Dragon title.

Mo-hd

Quote from: P on January 20, 2017, 09:04:01 am
Quote from: Raverrevolution on January 19, 2017, 12:14:30 pm
Double Dragon 4

Haha yeah I always also wanted a modern Double Dragon title.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_Dragon_IV  :)

We need more games for the switch. games from the past. im happy to see the return of Double Dragon with Wonder Boy and Super Bomberman R.