The Nintendo NX Thread - The Nintendo Switch Revealed!

Started by L___E___T, October 20, 2016, 05:07:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

P

What I thought you made it up! Cool! This needs to come to Switch!

Edit: Zelda will be dubbed and no dual audio boo! You can change the language but that means text will also be changed.
I'm getting a Japanese Switch just in case...

Also, DFC intelligence (apparently some company that guesses how much video games will sell, or something) is predicting the Switch is going to sell 40 million units by 2020 based market research and statistics. That would be nice, I'm tired of seeing people playing crappy smartphone games.

L___E___T

40 million isn't tons - I would hope and expect they could sell double that.  Generally, the landscape says it's just priced too high.

In any case, I just cancelled my Switch pre-order.  Having so much fun with NiOh and PS1 games.  I'll grab one later in the year.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Ghegs

Yeah, 40 million isn't terribly much in this day and age. To compare to last-gen consoles, PS3 and Xbox 360 both sold about 84 million with Wii selling 101 million units. (Source)

I'll wait and see how it goes. If it gets good third-party support, then I'm in. Nintendo's own games have never tickled my fancy that much.

UglyJoe

Quote from: Ghegs on January 22, 2017, 07:50:56 am
'll wait and see how it goes. If it gets good third-party support, then I'm in. Nintendo's own games have never tickled my fancy that much.

Honest question: if you're in it mostly for third-party support, why go for a Nintendo console vs Sony or Microsoft?

Ghegs

Quote from: UglyJoe on January 22, 2017, 08:11:47 am
Honest question: if you're in it mostly for third-party support, why go for a Nintendo console vs Sony or Microsoft?

Even third-party games can be exclusive to a single platform. I actually don't have any of the current-gen consoles, the newest systems I have are Xbox 360 and Wii. Neither PS4 and Xbox One have enough exclusives that would interest me, so I'm just waiting to see what Switch gets. If nothing, I'll just skip this console generation as well.

At the end of the day, I go where the games I want to play are. I do have a fairly high-end gaming PC so that covers modern, multi-system releases and 99% of indie games. If Switch gets, say, a new F-Zero (hopefully developed again by Sega, which would kind of make it a third-party game) then that's a system seller for me right there.

The Switch's portability would allow me to play games both in my gaming room and the living room couch with minimal hassle, that'd be nice and convenient, definitely a plus for me.

FamicomRetroGamer

So I tried the Nintendo Switch at the UK Premiere, I liked what I saw and play pretty much. ARMS was a fun game for like 5 mins and then it lost my interest, it's just like boxing from Wii Sports or whatever they included and expanded it. 1-2 Switch was an awfully boring tech-demo with the best 'game' being the one where you predict how many balls you're holding. Yay.

The Joy-Cons are really small, it has normal buttons for a d-pad and the analogue stick isn't really that movable. Also, no analogue triggers. Very futuristic of Nintendo.

My favourite games that I played were Zelda:BotW and Sonic Mania. Zelda was amazing with the Switch Pro Controller - it felt like the Xbox One except with digital triggers which is strange considering if Nintendo ever decides to port GameCube VC there'll be games that won't work properly.

I also played Mario Kart 8: Deluxe and well, it's Mario Kart 8. Splatoon 2 was also a lot like Splatoon on the WiiU except now you use a traditional controller (the Pro Controller) or the Switch Tablet with the Joy-Cons. No more map on the GamePad.

Btw, Nintendo charging to play online.. yeah, no. Keep it, Nintendo. What's even worse is that their "free" games are only free for a month and then if you want to keep them, you have to pay.  :mario: :mario: :mario: One last thing in regards to the online, the voice-chat is done through an app not on the Switch but on a smartphone. Wow.. Nintendo.  :upsetroll:

Post Merge: January 22, 2017, 10:09:46 am

I pre-ordered the Switch from GameSeek for £198.50 and they seem to be honouring it so I'm happy about that. Besides the console, I also pre-ordered Zelda:BotW standard copy and limited edition for below their RRP. Aaand Mario Kart 8: Deluxe too.

The Pro Controller is really overpriced but with time it should drop to £40-45 or less. Hori will have its own Switch Pro Controller for £27.99 so if I like what I see, I'll get that. I couldn't stand playing Zelda with the crappy tiny Joy-Cons, just too damn small!

P

Quote from: Ghegs on January 22, 2017, 07:50:56 am
Yeah, 40 million isn't terribly much in this day and age. To compare to last-gen consoles, PS3 and Xbox 360 both sold about 84 million with Wii selling 101 million units.

I guess, but on the other hand consoles are going down in sales even in Japan nowdays. According to the link Ghegs posted, only the 3DS and PS4 even reached 40 millions in the last console war.

Quote from: Ghegs on January 22, 2017, 09:31:11 am
If Switch gets, say, a new F-Zero (hopefully developed again by Sega, which would kind of make it a third-party game) then that's a system seller for me right there.

Me too (well actually Zelda already sold me).

Quote from: FamicomRetroGamer on January 22, 2017, 10:06:48 am
Btw, Nintendo charging to play online.. yeah, no. Keep it, Nintendo. What's even worse is that their "free" games are only free for a month and then if you want to keep them, you have to pay.  :mario:

I'm told Microsoft and Sony already did this nonsense for a while now. I don't get it, you buy games so you can play them anytime you have time and with no fear that the game will disappear right? Only arcades and rental games gets away with this, and things like Karaoke Joysound since that's more like a service than a game. I can't see why people would accept this kind of ridiculousness.

L___E___T

PS4 is still a relatively young console but has sold 53 million units globally, not too shabby.

Great pre-order price you got there FamicomRetroGamer - let's hope they stick to that.

In the end I'm glad I can forget about this for now, Nioh is right around the corner...

I also have bills to pay, a house move and many other things to pay for soon!
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

FamicomRetroGamer

If the new F-Zero were developed by Bandai it would be great too. I'd like to see Platinum Games take a chance at making an F-Zero game despite that they usually only make action-adventure titles.

Been thinking about pre-ordering Super Bomberman but I dunno, I would probably only play for 5-10 mins and then change to Zelda or whatever game.

L___E___T

Call me crazy, but I'd love to see an F-Zero game made by SEGA's AM2.  Have they announced something though?  F Zero games don't sell well, I didn't think we'd see another.
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

P

I know there are more people that are a fan of AM2. Too bad that it's not selling though. I guess the series didn't hook on the younger generation.
Nothing anounced, we are just hoping one of the series we grew up with will continue to thrive. I mean Pikmin, Star Fox, Zelda and Mario all got new games in their main series so it's time for a new F-Zero IMHO.

Another series I'd like to see again is Eggerland.

FamicomRetroGamer

Pikmin 4 seems like it was pretty much finished sometime in 2016 yet there are no news about it for the Switch. It would be unfortunate if Pikmin 4 became Pikmin 3DS (downgrading an HD game to SD).

I'm not a fan of the Joy-Cons but it'd be a game to make great use of it and the HD rumble would definitely make the experience even better.

P

Update 4.0.0 apparently added compatibility with the Gamecube USB adapter for Wii U last week! It's an undocumented update so I guess it's mostly used for testing and stuff. But unlike the Wii U that only used it for Smash Bros, its inputs are treated like the Pro Controller buttons by games. In other words it works more or less with supposedly all games that uses the Pro Controller.

Of course as it's missing the motion controls, NFC-read/writer (not sure why you'd need more than the one on the right Joy-Con though), HD rumble, Minus button, Home button, Capture button and ZL button. The Gamecube Z button is conveniently mapped as the ZR button and Start/Pause is mapped to the Plus button. The Minus and ZL are used in games quite a bit though, so many games are limited with the Gamecube controller. Also I don't know if it allows games to read the analogue L/R sliders (does the Pro Controller have analogue triggers?).
Edit: Oh and the Pro Controller also have pushable joysticks. The Gamecube controller are missing those too.

This is great news to me anyway. I think the Gamecube controller is probably the most ergonomic controller there is, and although the button layout is a bit weird I think it's one of the best controllers and I was sad that the Wii U mostly dropped its support.
It's not replacing the Pro Controller, but it's good for people like me that already have a lot of Gamecube controllers and a Wii U adapter, and use with Mario Kart 8 or maybe an upcoming Smash Bros game.

L___E___T

I think it's a nice surprise.  I'm sure there'll be "DX" versions of Smash, New Super Mario Bros. and Mario 3D World too in time. 

I also think we'll see some Gamecube games on the eShop before long.  Including Melee and F Zero.
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Yelir

That is a really cool update, I'm all for it since I still have some GC controllers in storage.

I don't see much Switch talk on this site since it first launched. How many of you purchased one or are planning to? I bought one in September and am very happy with it. So far I have 8 games (4 digital, 4 physical).  :mspacman: