Minecraft on FC or NES

Started by pxlbluejay, September 08, 2019, 12:41:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pxlbluejay

When I saw my friend playing Minecraft, I realized that the graphics of the game is so blocky that it might be able to transfer it to a retro console, preferably the FC/NES. Could a reduced version of minecraft be ported into a FC/NES?
Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda. The NES and the Famicom themselves. These are well known after more than 30 years after their releases. I highly doubt that Fortnite, PUBG, or any other modern-day game will be as well known in 2050.

Jedi Master Baiter

UglyJoe

It's written in Java, isn't it?  Just make a JVM for the NES/FC ;D

Ghegs

Really depends on far you're willing to de-make the game while still calling it a port.

The concept of creating/removing blocks is already present in many FC games (both Solomon's Keys, Hi No Tori), as well as digging underground (Dig Dug), combine those, add in crafting and you basically (and I'm using the term loosely here) have 2D Minecraft.

pxlbluejay

So very very very very loosely, it is possible?
Here's a bigger challenge: can it be written in Family Basic?
Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda. The NES and the Famicom themselves. These are well known after more than 30 years after their releases. I highly doubt that Fortnite, PUBG, or any other modern-day game will be as well known in 2050.

80sFREAK

I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

P

I think it's possible. It's not going to be very large if done in Family BASIC though. Since graphics are restricted to the CHR-ROM Family BASIC comes with, you probably can't make it isometric. Something like what Ghegs suggest should be doable.

famiac

Quote from: pxlbluejay on September 09, 2019, 04:54:51 pm
So very very very very loosely, it is possible?
Here's a bigger challenge: can it be written in Family Basic?

Start learning some computer architecture boiii. If you want things to happen you gotta learn to start doing them yourself.

It's nice that you're thinking of the big picture and finding a way to simplify the problem. First, though, try to understand the machine you're dealing with.

Why aren't there many 3D games on the NES? What are its limitations?
Ask yourself similar questions and try to answer them

80sFREAK

Quote from: P on September 10, 2019, 06:38:20 am
I think it's possible. It's not going to be very large if done in Family BASIC though. Since graphics are restricted to the CHR-ROM Family BASIC comes with, you probably can't make it isometric. Something like what Ghegs suggest should be doable.
Text version  ???
I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

boye

If you're talking about stock Famicom hardware, it would be impossible. It might be possible if you used a co-processor or Raspberry Pi of some sort.
Can't find the FDSLoadr PC program? Get it here. It took me way too long to find.

P

Why do you think that? There is no reason the Famicom wouldn't be able to do an isometric 2D version of it, at least as a proof-of-concept. You can include extra RAM on the cartridge, up to 128 kB with MMC5. You are limited on things like resolution, colour and level size though.

If the game would work very well as isometric is another question. You can't change the camera however you want, so if you dig deep you might need to make some blocks transparent so you can see where you are in the fake-3D space (think the 3D maze in the sunken ship in Super Mario RPG).

VegaVegas

When is Counter Strike NES port topic coming next??