Pal Famiclone to NTSC is it possible

Started by Miketage, January 14, 2020, 07:31:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Miketage

So I picked up this crazy looking Nevica famiclone on ebay a while back and it finally came in a couple days ago. Turns out the console is PAL B and I'm in the US so the picture is trash but seems to work. I can't find anything online about this thing at all. I'm wondering is it possible to mod this thing to work on an ntsc tv? I think it has built in games too and famicom carts work but it would be neat to have this in a format my tv can handle.

FAMICOM_87

look those 3 pads near "SW 3" sign, try different combinations with them to bring up 60Hz mode, there is no guaranties that this NOAC supports that ,but try! If you managed to get 60Hz mode for NTSC with this, you have to change the crystal oscillator too! Get   21.47727MHz  for NTSC color

Miketage

FAMICOM_87

Quote from: tombo72 on January 16, 2020, 09:34:18 am
Woah. So those two black blobs with IC's under them are the entire "famicom" hardware? Damn!

Actually yes the middle one glob top is the NOAC (NES On A Chip) and the other one is the integrated games (cartage)  :redcart:
BTW as we disused this before here , this technology of miniaturization of the NES is from around 1995 :) gust imagine !  :o

P

I heard the NOAC is based on Micro Genius' series of Famiclones, which is why they got the 25% and 50% duty cycle setting bits for the square wave sound channel swapped.

FAMICOM_87

Quote from: P on January 17, 2020, 01:43:28 am
I heard the NOAC is based on Micro Genius' series of Famiclones, which is why they got the 25% and 50% duty cycle setting bits for the square wave sound channel swapped.

yes the first NOACs are from UMC  and they PPU and CPU integrated into one single SMD IC  and discreet  normal RAM chips on the board , and All in one - contained  PPU CPU and RAM in one single SMD IC  unit