Twin Famicom: 2 problems

Started by gorgyrip, January 21, 2020, 01:15:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gorgyrip

Hello!
1. The arm that presses the disk down has the little round "sponge" missing. What can I use as a replacement? What's the proper name for that thing?
2. The rubber pads for both controllers are really worn. I used some rubber pads from ali and also some from an original nes controller. But the diagonals don't properly work. As you can see in the attached pic, the famicom dpad is smaller. Any fix for that?

P

January 21, 2020, 03:07:53 am #1 Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 01:10:39 am by P
I'm told the Famicom (con 1) and NES controllers uses interchangeable parts: PCB, rubber and button caps (except that NES uses red button caps for A and B). But I guess the Twin doesn't. I know the PCB connector is different on Twin and original Famicom.

I guess that sponge must also be a Twin thing because I've never seen any sponges in my controllers. Edit: Nevermind, you were talking about the disk drive not the d-pad.

gorgyrip

This is what I have read, too. But for me it doesn't work. Not in twin, not in famicom. If I replace the twin or fami dpad with a nes one, than it works.

I found this video (at 35:21)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbkJbb2YVNw
It explains that there are 2 different types of rubber pads for sale.
The ones I have work fine in nes, but in twin and fami the diagonals don't work. Also the original ens ones don't work in twin and fami for me.

P

I guess the dimensions are slightly different between your controllers and that after-market rubber that you got from Ali are off spec by too much. In the video he shows rubber that has way too short domes. I guess that's enough for the diagonals to not being hit by the conductive pads (since pushing a diagonal is just hitting two adjacent switches at the same time).

It doesn't really explain why your original ones doesn't work though.

gorgyrip

The problem with the dpad diagonals is now fixed.
I still need help with the sponge on the black arm of the disk drive.

saimen10

Hi,

on the Disk Drive of my Twin Famicom the "sponge" was worn too. Nearly completely missing. I removed a piece of the cotton of a cotton swab and used this as an replacement. Works fine so far.

Regards

gorgyrip

Quote from: saimen10 on January 23, 2020, 03:25:20 amHi,

on the Disk Drive of my Twin Famicom the "sponge" was worn too. Nearly completely missing. I removed a piece of the cotton of a cotton swab and used this as an replacement. Works fine so far.

Regards
But doesn't it scratch the disc?

saimen10

Hi,

I never had problems with the disks used in this disk drive.

In general I think the disks are more reliable than often stated. Of course you shouldn't touch or punch them with something sharp. If have a copy of Smash Ping Pong which I always use for testing my disk drives. This disk has suffered countless head crashes and hits with the arm and is still working without problems. In despair of Disk Drive calibration errors, I even once cleaned the whole disk with alcohol and cotton rub. Still working.

Just my experience. If somebody has another replacement suggestion for the "sponge" I'm interested too.

Regards

tobasoft

Quote from: gorgyrip on January 21, 2020, 11:19:20 amThe problem with the dpad diagonals is now fixed.
I still need help with the sponge on the black arm of the disk drive.

I have the same problem with diagonals!! what did you do to fix it??

gorgyrip

Check the picture I posted previously. I cut a small circle from a matchstick box and placed it over the dpad. Make sure the paper is smooth.
I also fixed the missing "sponge" problem. I used a small peace of a smooth cloth (the one you use to clean your glasses). It's working great!