Family BASIC Super Thread

Started by UglyJoe, July 05, 2015, 07:05:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Protoman

If we have Family Basic, and Family Basic V3, where is V2?

zmaster18

The regular version of  Family BASIC is version 1.0, 2.0, 2.1, and 2.1A.

P

March 14, 2019, 05:55:34 am #17 Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 09:50:35 am by P
I've also seen 2.0A and the prototype version 0.0.
As for dumped ROMs I've only seen NS-HuBASIC version 0.0, 1.0, 2.0A, 2.1A and 3.0. But the letterless 2.0 and 2.1 versions might also exist on carts, I don't know.

As for NS-HuBASIC version differences, this is what we know:

V0.0
Earliest known version number.
Used in the Playbox BASIC prototype ROM.
The LOAD? command does not seem to work.

V1.0
Used in Playbox BASIC and Family BASIC launch version.
This version of Family BASIC has a RAM self-test that is accessed by holding the T-key while pressing RESET. Unknown if Playbox BASIC also has this (the prototype does not). Edit: Confirmed to work in the release version of Playbox BASIC as well.
If there are any differences in the actual NS-HuBASIC they are unknown.

V2.0A
Used in a newer revision of Family BASIC. Supposedly people who called Nintendo and complained could trade their V1.0 version for this one for free.
This newer version of Family BASIC has the RAM self-test replaced by a BASIC mode shortcut. Holding the T-key while pressing RESET now goes directly to BASIC mode. Edit: The RAM-test is also done and at this time and this supposedly destroys RAM by filling it with fives.
As for the actual NS-HuBASIC, the SCR$ command was added.

V2.1A
Used in the last known revision of Family BASIC.
Bug fixes. What kind of bug is unknown.

V3.0
Version used in Family BASIC V3 (a separate title) with lots of new functions and even sample games. As V3 is fully operated from BASIC mode it has some new commands to go into the BG editor and such, and the T+RESET shortcut is no longer needed.

Also while programs and BG data are generally cross-compatible between versions (unless a program relies on the memory mapping or new commands) the tape format seems to be incompatible between some versions. At least you can not load a regular Family BASIC tape on Playbox BASIC (I've only tried it on the prototype) or Family BASIC V3. You have to retype the program from the beginning.
It would be interesting to know more about the tape format and exactly what is different.

Edit: I've done some more extensive testing and discovered that the tape format is not different between versions. All versions seems to use the same format and can load any Family BASIC tape (executing it is a different story of course). I was probably just unlucky before and thought the format was different when it didn't work, but it's not.

80sFREAK

Sounds like a call, but unfortunately i don't have time at moment.

IIRC 2.1A have small patch and that's all, but can not recall details.
I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

Sydsydsyd

Super interesting thread. Maybe some member of this forum has something coded into this and wants to share it?? I never seen some quality games coded into this device  :mario:
Yeah, sure

UglyJoe

Quote from: Sydsydsyd on March 24, 2019, 05:41:33 pm
Super interesting thread. Maybe some member of this forum has something coded into this and wants to share it?? I never seen some quality games coded into this device  :mario:

It depends on your definition of "quality".  I think a few of the games transcribed here are kinda fun (like Mario Shooter).

zmaster18

Back in like 2013 or so when I was really into Family BASIC V3 I made some finished programs. I have them saved on tapes, but I no longer have Family BASIC, or V3, or a Data Recorder

Here's what I made:

- Learn Katakana with BASIC! (a Japanese-English Hangman game with 3 different modes, different categories of vocabulary, and some nicely designed menus)
-PUNG (a version of pong that is colorful like the TV COLOR GAME 6)
-Orb of Destiny ( a breakout game with multi-colored blocks and the ball got increasingly faster)

I was making Mini Putt Challenge as well, but never finished it. This game was too ambitious for just 4k of memory, but I was very close to making it all fit.

I would totally post screenshots of the games if I had some :)

If you want to see examples of Family BASIC programs, search youtube for Nico Nico Douga Family BASIC compilations :)

boye

Can't find the FDSLoadr PC program? Get it here. It took me way too long to find.

saimen10

Hello everyone,

I recently got a copy of Family Basic. I have some starter questions, maybe somebody can help me.

1) Is there a translated manual of the "Computer" menu (enter name, BASIC, calculator, etc.). I think the available english translation starts after that.

2) What is the concept of the built in battery backup. How to use it, switch positions.

3) Is it possible to use a smartphone with a appropiate MP3 recorder app for saving/loading to "tape"? Has somebody already tried it?

Thank you in advance.
Best regards!

UglyJoe

Quote from: saimen10 on March 08, 2020, 02:03:06 pm1) Is there a translated manual of the "Computer" menu (enter name, BASIC, calculator, etc.). I think the available english translation starts after that.

The .txt file attached to the first post here has a translation of the early manual pages.

https://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=8876.msg127809#msg127809

Quote from: saimen10 on March 08, 2020, 02:03:06 pm2) What is the concept of the built in battery backup. How to use it, switch positions.

This is covered the txt file from #1 above.  It's kind of wonky and I don't trust it, personally :P

Quote from: saimen10 on March 08, 2020, 02:03:06 pm3) Is it possible to use a smartphone with a appropiate MP3 recorder app for saving/loading to "tape"? Has somebody already tried it?

Yup, very possible.  I would recommend using an app that can record/playback lossless audio (like wav or flac) instead of mp3, since the compression might cause issues.  (Some people have had luck with mp3s, though).

PALCOLOR

Nice to meet you. :D
I have a Playbox BASIC v1.0 cartridge. :redcart:
The ROM dump was also successful. :star:
CHR-ROM seems to be the same between Playbox BASIC v1.0 and Family BASIC v1.0.

PALCOLOR

July 09, 2020, 02:18:11 am #26 Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 02:23:57 am by PALCOLOR
There were some differences between Playbox Basic v0.0, Playbox Basic v1.0 and Family BASIC v1.0, so I took a screenshot.

Family BASIC v1.0 vs Playbox BASIC v1.0

Playbox BASIC v0.0 vs Playbox BASIC v1.0

PALCOLOR

QuoteV1.0
Used in Playbox BASIC and Family BASIC launch version.
This version of Family BASIC has a RAM self-test that is accessed by holding the T-key while pressing RESET. Unknown if Playbox BASIC also has this (the prototype does not).
If there are any differences in the actual NS-HuBASIC they are unknown.

RAM self-test is also available in Playbox BASIC v1.0.

P

Oh the final (known) missing piece! Thank you for preserving it and telling us of the differences that you know of. I look forward to see the ROM.

You don't happen to have the manual or anything else that came with it? From what I've seen it's very similar to the Family BASIC manual (using the same illustrations and all), but it got to have a few pages totally different, like the biorhythm board. The biorhythm board is even mentioned in the Family BASIC manual, probably by mistake from when they modified the Playbox BASIC manual for Family BASIC.

PALCOLOR

Unfortunately I don't have a manual.
Cartridge only.

Link to ROM in this forum
I know that it is not desirable to attach it.
Please forgive me.

Playbox BASIC (Japan) (v1.0).zip