The Miyamoto autograph that got away...

Started by nintendodork, September 21, 2021, 09:30:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

nintendodork

I've been on a Game & Watch kick lately and came across this blog post from 2012 in which the guy unknowingly erased Miyamoto's signature from a Game & Watch he got on eBay for $20. Look at your own risk. I wonder how often he gets people hitting him up about this. His only response in the comments is total denial. I don't blame him.  :crazy:
http://damntechnology.blogspot.com/2010/09/how-to-disassemble-and-clean-game-watch.html
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

P

Ouch! If it was real (and it looks real to me) he scrubbed off a big sum of the value.

UglyJoe

Haha, haven't seen that blog post in a while.  I think it's a fake, personally.

How is your G&W collection looking?

senseiman

Oh my god, that is hilarious, but also insanely hard to watch.

Its true that sellers sometimes don't know what they have.  7 years ago I bought a big pile of cheap Famicom carts on Yahoo Auctions (I miss the days when that was possible) and found a copy of Adventure Island autographed by Takahashi Meijin in it.  Its been one of the prized pieces of my collection ever since:

http://famicomblog.blogspot.com/2014/05/stuff-you-might-find-in-lot-of-games.html

nintendodork

November 07, 2021, 12:00:08 am #4 Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 12:55:12 am by nintendodork
Quote from: UglyJoe on September 23, 2021, 07:40:16 pmHow is your G&W collection looking?
Relatively small but these are some of my favorites from the G&W Galleries I played over the years!

Ball is the 2011 Club Nintendo reissue. Crazy that you can still get those for the price of the new Super Mario Bros one. Mine even came in the original Japanese Club Nintendo shipping box. I've also had a DK Hockey VS Series and a DK multiscreen for years, not sure where they're stowed at the moment.

Quote from: senseiman on October 05, 2021, 05:26:49 pmfound a copy of Adventure Island autographed by Takahashi Meijin
This is insanely cool. I would put something like this in a little display case!
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

P

Yeah the Club Nintendo re-release of Ball doesn't seem rare at all. I have seen a dozen of those in retro game shops in Japan for quite cheap and in CIB mint condition. It's probably very different from the original Ball on the inside and has a different model number (RGW-001 instead of AC-01). It also got the option to turn off sound unlike the original.

I have been wanting Climber for a time. Seems like it's basically the Game & Watch version of Ice Climber, but uses different characters.

nintendodork

November 09, 2021, 12:48:15 am #6 Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 12:53:48 am by nintendodork
Pretty much! You could even call it a spiritual successor, since Ice Climber came before it and neither one got a sequel. ;D Green House is like that too in relation to Donkey Kong 3 on the NES. In Climber, your enemies are big sentient bricks that build new bridges/platforms for you to break through. Once you finish a few levels, you finally use the Up and Down buttons on the unit to fight a dragon. When you make a mistake, you tumble all the way down to the start of the level before you actually die. A few of the G&Ws are brutal!