March 29, 2024, 05:09:05 am

Last thing you did

Started by nintendodork, March 01, 2009, 07:53:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

nurd

That doesn't always work, though. Argh they give you the length of the base then you have to find some other stuff and that Heron thing only works sometimes and argh.

ericj

Some of what you learn is practical and applicable in life. Much of it is just busy-work bullshit with very little real world utility unless your career is in a very specific field, in which case you'll probably have programs and job aides to do much of it for you anyways. I had geometry, trigonometry, and calculus in high school and took up to calculus in college. I'd probably say geometry is the most useful.

Rogles

Oh yeah we did stuff like that; the a^2+b^2=c^2 for right triangles. Yeah in math... B. My problem is I tend to mess up just one step, which in turn screws everything else up. I need to be more attentive. :/
( ´_ゝ`)

nintendodork

That's what happens to me.  I have a B- in algebra right now...I did bring it up from an F though...so that's a step.
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

nurd

I have an F. I just retook a test, so it should go up.

Teacher is funny, but he talks to fast, erases right after he writese on the board, and stands in front of the writing while it is written. Also my notes are bad.

Rogles

I used to have a C, but I really concentrated and managed to ace the test over exponential relationships, so now I've got a B. I want to get an A, but final grades for this semester are this friday...
( ´_ゝ`)

nintendodork

Our teacher grades tests really weird....We have like 80 problems on a test...I got like 30 right...and I got a 79%
I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

son_ov_hades

Oh god I hate math, one of my major concerns about choosing a major was the least amount of math classes I had to take.

Rogles

The problem is you can't really get involved with math like you can with, say, writing. Which is why I have an A in english. I can actually relate to the topic.
( ´_ゝ`)

nintendodork

Yeah, I go to our high school for my English class.  I excel in everything, pretty much, except algebra..with the exception of Social Studies sometimes...because I get bored very easily in that class.

UglyJoe

Quote from: ericj on March 02, 2009, 07:11:41 pm
Quote from: Rogles on March 02, 2009, 06:49:03 pm
Quadratic equations are boring...

You can't even begin to fathom how useful that stuff will be as you get older... ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) :P

I've actually used the quadratic formula multiple times at work.  Go computer science!

nintendodork

UglyJoe

CSC, writing software for the FAA.

133MHz

Quote from: Rogles on March 02, 2009, 07:38:07 pm
The problem is you can't really get involved with math like you can with, say, writing. Which is why I have an A in english. I can actually relate to the topic.

Download a graphing calculator program for your PC. Plot some functions, mess with the variables and see how the graph changes, fiddle, tinker and experiment with the thing in general. That helped me out in trig & calc. It's a lot easier when you can visualize things in your mind, and you get to know how does every single thing in the equation/function/whatever interact with each other. Most people learn more by experimentation, which standard math courses usually won't provide, unless you do it yourself ;).

Quote from: nintendodork on March 02, 2009, 07:33:57 pm
Our teacher grades tests really weird....We have like 80 problems on a test...I got like 30 right...and I got a 79%

Sounds like the grading system of the standardized college entrance test around here. You start with a fixed score, correct answers give you more points and incorrect ones punish you by subtracting them, and the score seems to grow in a non linear fashion. As far as I know it's been done that way to discourage answering at random (so that you only answer what you really know). Thing is, I discovered that you can get a higher than average score (pretty good in fact) by answering about half of the questions right and omitting the rest (basically make sure that every question that you answer is indeed right).

Quote from: UglyJoe on March 02, 2009, 07:39:51 pm
I've actually used the quadratic formula multiple times at work.  Go computer science!

Given my electronics background, math (especially trig) has saved my @$$ a couple of times before too :P.

nintendodork

Quote from: 133MHz on March 02, 2009, 07:50:53 pm
Quote from: nintendodork on March 02, 2009, 07:33:57 pm
Sounds like the grading system of the standardized college entrance test around here. You start with a fixed score, correct answers give you more points and incorrect ones punish you by subtracting them, and the score seems to grow in a non linear fashion. As far as I know it's been done that way to discourage answering at random (so that you only answer what you really know). Thing is, I discovered that you can get a higher than average score (pretty good in fact) by answering about half of the questions right and omitting the rest (basically make sure that every question that you answer is indeed right).
It's not even that.  I answered all the others wrong...(well, guessed) AND not everyone was graded the same way.