SNES/SFC Internet, Ethernet, LAN (?)

Started by Russam5354, February 19, 2014, 05:53:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Russam5354

February 19, 2014, 05:53:39 pm Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 05:58:55 pm by Russam5354
Nintendo consoles and handhelds didn't have online multiplayer features until the DS and Wii. However, the GameCube supported 2 online games and 4 games with a LAN  feature. The GCN's LAN feature could be used to play people in different homes via computer and tunneling software. There were three earlier attempts to connect Japanese gamers to the Internet: the Famicom Modem, SFC Satellaview, and the N64DD RandNet. None of these services work anymore. The SFC Satelaview worked via satelite broadcasting.

The SNES and Sega Genesis had an online service,  (that you needed to subscribe to) and modem called 'XBAND'. This service was shut down, and used outdated dial-up to connect to the Internet.

The NES might be able to use Ethernet via a board that is currently in development. (Check out this earlier forum topic, and inspiration for this topic, that I started: http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=10354.0 ).

Questions: Is it possible to create an Ethernet adapter, LAN adapter, or modern (non-dial-up) Internet modem for the SFC/SNES? Can we create ROM hacks or new games that can use these new features? Would YOU create or help create such a thing?   :question:  :redcart:
あなたはイースターエッグを発見!
I mainly collect Gamecube (GCN) items. I collect other items too, but I'm focusing on my GCN collection currently.

naI

Russam5354

あなたはイースターエッグを発見!
I mainly collect Gamecube (GCN) items. I collect other items too, but I'm focusing on my GCN collection currently.

wholesalewatch648

i have SFC XBAND..service shut down,but a neat item to have none the less.i wonder, if it is possible
I am a big Nintendo fan! especially GameBoy, N64, SFC, GC. And of course Mario games
I collect SFC/N64 mainly. Some rare famicom stuff too. Also miscellaneous video game stuff.