April 19, 2024, 08:14:17 pm

Football/Soccer

Started by smeghead, January 18, 2018, 07:51:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

smeghead

Ok famicom fans, any football fans here?

This year is football World Cup 2018 in Russia!

What team you gonna support?

i think my country has good chances for 1st place   :coin:

Protoman

I don't care much for club football, but I LOVE the world cup, and prefer national teams in general.

Sweden is back for the first time since 2006 which is nice, but we got drawn with Germany, Mexico and South Korea. So again, the best we can hope for is to win against Korea and draw with Germany and Mexico, which is just how we advanced in 1994 and 2002, 2006 as well maybe.

I root for a bunch of teams in varying degrees. Germany, Argentina, Croatia, Mexico, I would Holland and Italy if they were in it but they aren't, so.
Oh and Uruguay.

I root against Spain and Brazil. They've both won too much, Neymar dives all the time and Spain's tiki-taka I've never liked, they bore their opponents to death in a way, just passing and passing. That's why 2014 was so satisfying as they both got their asses kicked.
I don't particularly enjoy Costa Rica either, or Greece but at least they didn't make it.

Last thought, this time I'm ok with England doing okay. It's about time. It's been fun for 20+ years laughing at them losing at penalties and whatnot,
but now they can go ahead and get to a quarter or semi. Although I don't see it happening, they just aren't that good.

smeghead

Im glad Sweden is back on World cup, but i wish Holland is also but they didnt qualify  :upsetroll:

Mexico isn't good as they were 4 years ago,  Sweden could go in next stage...

Croatia , we have great team and world class players and some players play in best clubs like Real Madrid and Barcelona, only thing that we miss is good coach (selector)
we almost didn't qualify because of unexperienced coach we had, that's why now there's new coach and that guy is doing good job so far...

Bry89

In regards to football itself, I never really cared for it, especially with the sectarian nonsense between two certain teams here in Glasgow. As for the World Cup itself, I can only remember the one in 2010 very well, more so for those damned vuvuzelas :P
https://mindsconnect.jcink.net
Tech-oriented forum. Gamers old and new are welcome.

Protoman

Quote from: Bry89 on January 19, 2018, 01:49:04 am
In regards to football itself, I never really cared for it, especially with the sectarian nonsense between two certain teams here in Glasgow. As for the World Cup itself, I can only remember the one in 2010 very well, more so for those damned vuvuzelas :P

Vuvuzelas? Wasn't that a million beehives going nuts..?

Bry89

YES, DEFO MATE :crazy:

To be fair, I think people were talking more about them than the World Cup itself back then :P

smeghead

yea that World Cup 2010 was so bad...

Bry89

Really? How so?

Well, all I can remember about it was other than the damned vuvuzelas, that one match between Paraguay and Japan that I saw shown live at a restaurant I was at back then. Never saw who won though :P

smeghead

ok, it wasn't that bad  :D

i hate the reason because Croatia didn't qualify on WC2010...  :'(

and i was mad when Japan lose on penalties on round of 16  >:(

also i wanted Netherlands to win but they were 2nd at the end...

Protoman

Quote from: Bry89 on January 21, 2018, 07:35:41 am
Really? How so?

Well, all I can remember about it was other than the damned vuvuzelas, that one match between Paraguay and Japan that I saw shown live at a restaurant I was at back then. Never saw who won though :P

Japan vs Paraguay and England vs Algeria were the two most boring games in the 2010 world cup.

Bry89

Oh really? Interesting to know :P I wonder what made them so boring back then...

smeghead

Japan can go in next round this time easy...

Here are groups for World Cup 2018

Protoman

Quote from: Bry89 on January 26, 2018, 04:37:14 am
Oh really? Interesting to know :P I wonder what made them so boring back then...

The Japan-Paraguay match as I recall it was boring because both teams were so nervous of letting a goal in, they didn't want to leave themselves open by attacking when there's a possibility of losing the ball etc. England were boring because they're England, they can be really dull when they're not really trying, like Italy.

smeghead

and this group A , with Russia as host... like they choose deliberately,,, so weak   ::)

manuel

I'm supporting my home country Germany of course, but I don't think they'll defend the title.

I'd love to see Germany - Japan at some point (very unlikely though).