An Discussion About The Ethics Of Not Identifying 1:1 Reproductions

Started by fcgamer, February 14, 2018, 07:54:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

aitsu124

Why was the thread's title changed? Why is the name of the topic of the first post different from the name of the topic on the rest of the posts?
Increasing source of obscure Japanese information...and interface.

VegaVegas

I believe the topic was split apart because it went completely off-topic and as a few people said "I sense butthurt"

I love how the topic still continues with even more pain than before. Calm down, you will simply not delete the internet. All box arts, label projects and all video gaming artworks are available all over the internet and anyone in the world can print their own box, cart or anything similar right in the print shop next door. This has been happening for many years and is not about to be changed, so any potential buyers should make sure what they are getting before they buy anything. It's almost like complaining someone bought a burned Windows 10 disk signed with a permanent marker on the flea market, you must be aware of dangers and what you are getting and this is the way it works all over the world

I will not bother explaining again whether the OP of the certain topic cares about describing the product any more obvious way, although it was made openly clear that the cart was a repro anyway which was the main issue there. Case closed

krzy

GIve me 2 days and I'll do it on discrete chips for 25$ ;-DDDDDDDDDDDDD

MaxXimus

I am probably going to get banned for this but honestly it needs to be said. If you guys care about thiis place at all, then you all need to back off on the issue here. It's not even an issue.

Dave, I get it. You don't like people selling 1:1 copies of games. I've bought loads of near 1:1 bootlegs off you in the past. Let's be honest, reproductions and bootlegs are the same thing and intellectual property is being stolen from someone. Who that is that is being stolen from is up to you(not really but you should get the idea) You collected Whirlwind Manu cartridges for a while. I had a bunch as well and except for the mention of their company and the back sticker being a bit different, a lot of them were extremely close to ther originals. These are the sorts of things I would buy from you. Not all it, but a lot. I remember some of the posts even "I have no idea if these are official or bootleg" yada yada.  This isn't just Famicom. It's gameboy, it's sega genesis. What you're doing Is being a hypocrite.

This goes out to everyone else attacking the seller here. If you don't want to buy the persons cartridge, then take your money, and your opinion and go elsewhere with it. It is clear through the numerous messages that it is not original, and still everyone is going on and on about how this seller Is stealing from other people IP.

This is why I stepped down as Mod. We had gotten to a point where we were so lenient and laid back, that we allowed the members to dictate how we did what we were supposed to for the better good of the site and to try and satisfy as many members as possible. There is a reason that task is only given to a few people. Think of the chaos we'd be in if certain members had mod privileges. I have no idea when it changed but our happy community I'd been part of for almost 11 years now seems very tense and separated.

Anyway back to me being banned. UglyJoe is planning on making everything read only, archiving the site and closing down FW for good. He doesn't want this stress if this is how it's going to be. This is his baby and it is being so corrupted that he doesn't even want to bother. It makes no difference to me who believes this or not and frankly I have no interest in showing any proof, or replying to any posts pertaining to this one. The fact is that if you want to have a place to come to discuss the thing you love(which is why we are all here right) then fuck off let this pass.

Post Merge: February 19, 2018, 08:44:58 pm

Fuck it. Here's the proof. Now smarten the fuck up everyone. That's as official as an unofficial statement can get.

Post Merge: February 19, 2018, 08:51:35 pm

I'm sorry Mods for busting the info out of staff forums. I'm not deleting f my account because I want as many people as possible to see the post before it's removed. Feel free to block me or what ever. I miss this place the way it used to be before all the bull shit.

Sorry for breaking the trust UglyJoe.

P

80sFREAK

fcgamer, be a man, follow Parodius Duh and Xious.

By the way, true collectors should understand, that small runs of bootlegs in a couple of decades will skyrocket their value. Plus "there is a story behind it".

krzy, i can try to find my sketches to make your life a bit easier ;)
I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

Ghegs

Quote from: MaarioS on February 19, 2018, 06:20:11 pmThis has been happening for many years and is not about to be changed, so any potential buyers should make sure what they are getting before they buy anything.

Just because it can be done, and is done, doesn't meant it should be accepted and supported.

QuoteIt's almost like complaining someone bought a burned Windows 10 disk signed with a permanent marker on the flea market, you must be aware of dangers and what you are getting and this is the way it works all over the world

Your analogy fails, since that burned disk is obviously not legit, unlike this product which can easily be assumed to be the real deal just by looking at it.

crazyjesse expressed the problem very succinctly and clearly.

Quote from: crazyjesse on February 19, 2018, 10:26:32 pmThe point is that this game was being sold as a "reissue". This implies it is a fully sanctioned endeavour by the original authors. It is a well done reproduction, probably the best I've seen but it is a reproduction nonetheless. [...] the wording is specifically designed to mislead and that no efforts WHATSOEVER were made to distinguish this as a fake. I've seen countless copies been sold as the real deal and this just adds to it. It's not something you want to support.

That is what it was all about.

Also, I'll buy a repro of the game for $25. Can I have it in a blue cart?

fcgamer

I would like to say a few things, and then I'm just going to let off on this topic any further.

When GKill made his initial post about the Metal Force cartridges, yes I was rude.  I also threadcrapped in his thread.  Partway through that thread I decided to make a thread in the Updates and Suggestions part of the forum, titled (Making near identical carts / boxes / manuals of rare games), hoping that discussion could be moved to that thread, though after having been viewed over 30 times, no one had posted anything there, and discussion from the community (including me) continued in the Metal Force thread. 

Last night before going to bed, I saw that someone had shifted all of the comments from the Metal Force thread regarding his product into the thread I had created (Making near identical carts / boxes / manuals of rare games), and I wasn't overly happy about it, as I was hoping that the topic could be addressed not as pertaining to Metal Force, but as pertaining to rare / valuable games /boxes / manuals as a whole, both licensed and unlicensed, but the random mish-mash of dialogue mostly pertained to Metal Force in and of itself.

I then see a thread appear on the main board, attributed to me as its author, with the following name (An Discussion About The Ethics Of Not Identifying 1:1 Reproductions), and within was the banter from the Metal Force thread.  That's when I changed the thread name to what it is now, edited the first message, and called it a day, went to bed.

I will admit that I was quite rude in changing the title of this topic, and also with the modified text I wrote in the initial post.  For this, I would like to apologize, to UncleJoe, to The Uninvited Gremlin, to L___E___T, to the mods as a whole, for my rudeness and attitude on the matter.  Even though I did feel the way that I did when I edited the post, there are much better ways to handle the situation than how I acted, and I am sorry for being so disrespectful towards the mods and to those that keep the site up and running.  I will not try to justify my actions, as they were in poor judgement.

Post Merge: February 19, 2018, 11:30:38 pm

A few final thoughts:

Ghegs and crazyjesse seem to understand my feelings towards the whole reproduction / fake cart issue.  While I am not sure about jesse, I know that in the past, Ghegs has purchased some rare favorites of his CIB, such as Battle Force, so I suspect he can somewhat relate to my feelings.

@80sFreak:  Let's agree to let the past go, okay?  ;)

Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

aitsu124

Quote from: MaxXimus on February 19, 2018, 08:40:57 pm
UglyJoe is planning on making everything read only, archiving the site and closing down FW for good. He doesn't want this stress if this is how it's going to be. This is his baby and it is being so corrupted that he doesn't even want to bother. It makes no difference to me who believes this or not and frankly I have no interest in showing any proof, or replying to any posts pertaining to this one. The fact is that if you want to have a place to come to discuss the thing you love(which is why we are all here right) then fuck off let this pass.

If it's this close to actually being closed, something I didn't even realize was in anyone's minds, I think we should just stay away from this topic. Just about everyone who didn't like what GKill was doing now knows about it and can choose not to buy from him, further discussion's not worth it at this point. We have to do what's needed to keep this open.

fcgamer

@MaxXimus:  Also I just want to extend a personal apology to you as well.  I sincerly hope that nothing comes from the post you made, and I also would just like to apologize for my attitude and behaviors over the past few months, in this thread and in some other threads.  We've known each other for a long time, you're one of the good guys here :)

aodinets

Quote from: krzy on February 19, 2018, 07:54:13 pm
GIve me 2 days and I'll do it on discrete chips for 25$ ;-DDDDDDDDDDDDD

25$ sounds very good! Let's not be petty. I give you a whole week.  8)
I hope the board does not turn out as crap as the previous ones.  :fire:
sorry my english.

BonBon

Wow usually I'd have something witty and shitty to say but I'm way too star struck by this whole thing.

aitsu124

I say it again, we need to remember this stuff in the future but for now we need to stop posting in this thread. We can't be giving UglyJoe more reasons to shut down the site. Let's just stop.

fcgamer

Quote from: aitsu124 on February 21, 2018, 12:35:30 pm
I say it again, we need to remember this stuff in the future but for now we need to stop posting in this thread. We can't be giving UglyJoe more reasons to shut down the site. Let's just stop.

I feel the same on the whole matter.  I've had quite a few revelations and reflections over the past few days, some good, some bad, some disturbing, though I'll just let it all be. 

In a lot of ways, I've been a dick on FW lately, towards a lot of people, that much is regretfully true.