Last Famicom game you played?

Started by Doc, July 30, 2006, 12:47:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Nightstar699

Never played the penguin game, but as a master of Whomp 'Em and Shatterhand, here is some advice.

Whomp 'Em - You may or may not know of this trick, but in the Ice Ritual, there is a spot. (When you're going down the area with a trippy green-ish background, and lots of purple enemies are rising up to attack you) In this spot, you can grind all the way to a full health bar extremely easily, by simply attacking downward, in the air as you leap. The Final Test can get pretty tough if you aren't familiar with it, so this trick is an easy way to increase your chances of success.

Against the bosses of the Magic Forest, and the Ice Ritual... learn their patterns, and be extremely careful, because you'll notice at one point in the battle, they'll turn red... when they're red, any impact from them whatsoever will take one of your potions. And potions are pretty much the spare lives of this game, so they're very important.

Shatterhand - Not sure if you've played this game enough to get a feel for which bot(s) you prefer, but I could vouch for BBB, the Grenade Bot. Although you can only shoot one grenade at a time, and the angle at which it shoots is slightly awkward so you'll have to time your shots real well, the extra range it gives you is extremely helpful. If you're having trouble with a particular boss, memorize where all the items are in that stage, so you can plan out how you collect them, and make sure to get the mech suit (or "the gun" in Solbrain) right before you fight the boss. However I think the mech suit kills some of the fun because it makes it so you kill the bosses within seconds... the same reason I generally dislike using robot masters' weaknesses against them in Rockman.
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

nerdynebraskan

I've just only played Whomp 'Em and Shatterhand a handful of times. When I've got a bunch of new games, I spend most of my time playing those to see if they're worth keeping. The worst part of my system is that obviously worthy games like Whomp 'Em and Shatterhand earn a spot on my shelf very quickly and I don't always get back to giving them a proper playthrough for some time.

I last played some City Adventure Touch. It's one of the cuter beat 'em ups I've ever seen, but I don't know if I understand the objective very well. I'm off to read the FAQ for it on GameFAQs.
Can Nintendo Age Beat Every NES Game in 2015?

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=140551

Nightstar699

Just got done beating Bucky O'Hare, only the second time I've beaten it. What an incredible game, very difficult but still fair because you get as many chances as you'd like, so the game allows you to really learn each section. Oddly I thought the final boss was one of the easiest parts of the game, but thrilling nonetheless.
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

nerdynebraskan

I'd definitely like to play some more of Bucky O'Hare. That's another solid game tragically collecting dust on my shelf. I do remember that the difficulty is pretty stiff; I don't remember if I've cleared any stages yet.

I just got done playing some Saiyuuki World. This one has definitely grown on me.

Nightstar699

Definitely, man. I've actually beaten Bucky O'Hare three more times since I posted that, I'm addicted to it. The other day I talked to someone who said he was only able to make it past the first level, so yeah, it has a wide reputation for being incredibly hard, but as I said, it is fair.

I've never played the original Saiyuki World, despite its sequel being one of my favorite games. I doubt I'd like it, as I usually don't care for RPG-like games. Although I do have the SMS version of it, Wonder Boy in Monster Land... but I won't have that for much longer, as you know.

nerdynebraskan

You should give Saiyuuki World a chance. It's really not much of an RPG from what I've seen and read. There's a bit of strategy as far as piling up money (which isn't common in the game), and how you want to spend it toward upgrades. But the core gameplay is that of a pretty linear platformer.

I just played some Ikki. It's a surprisingly enjoyable early effort from Sunsoft. It's simple, even to the point of being crude, but that's to be expected.

Magicantian

nerdynebraskan

I know some people really dig Abadox, but I could never get into that one. I just played some Kunio Kun no Nekketsu Soccer League.

Magicantian

Quote from: nerdynebraskan on May 25, 2013, 09:25:40 am
I know some people really dig Abadox, but I could never get into that one. I just played some Kunio Kun no Nekketsu Soccer League.

Never played the one you speak of (just looked at a video of it on youtube) reminds me of Rockman's Soccer.

nerdynebraskan

It's actually the second Kunio-Kun soccer on FC; it's a sequel to the one that got localized as Nintendo World Cup for the NES. I like this one quite a bit more. I've never played Rockman/Mega Man Soccer; I've always been curious about it being a Mega Man fan, but I've never put a priority on getting one.

Magicantian

I'm not much of a Soccer guy, but it was interesting for a few games. I'd stick to the Original Rockman and X1 - X4.

nerdynebraskan

I'm not big into sports games, but I've got a few that I enjoy playing. These Kunio-Kun sports games are hybrid beat 'em ups to boot. Speaking of which, I last played a little of Ike Ike! Nekketsu Hockey-bu (the Kunio Ice Hockey game). I guess it's just been a Kunio kind of day. I'm even getting the hankering for a little Renegade on the NES (which is a localization of the first Kunio-Kun), and that doesn't happen often.

Nightstar699

May 25, 2013, 10:58:19 pm #2157 Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 10:14:17 am by Nightstar699
Just got done with a no-death run of Kamen No Ninja Hanamaru. No clue why I thought this game was hard when I was little... but then again I was playing the "Yo! Noid" version of it for NES at the time... does anyone know if Noid is more difficult than Hanamaru?

Post Merge: May 26, 2013, 10:14:11 am

Just got done beating Bucky O'Hare, and for the first time I completed it without having to use a single continue. My final score was 248,900. And I had 15 lives leftover upon completion.

nerdynebraskan

I've never played Kamen, and I haven't played Yo! Noid in more than a year. I've resold the copies I've come across, because I find the game frustratingly hard. I found the graphics misleading, even dying in the first level by falling into the water when it clearly shows the platforms are still above water. And then, what the second level is already an ice stage, and exceptionally slippery? I got fed up with it. I thought it was Capcom's second-weakest platformer after Trojan.

I last played some Wai Wai World. I still can't beat any stages of it. It's fun, but damn, is it hard.

Nightstar699

Aww man... you should get another copy of it! Better yet, get Ninja Hanamaru... the graphics are all completely different, perhaps they're more clear? I think Hanamaru is a much better game anyway. Yeah falling in the water is annoying at first, Time Zone has stages with similar obstacles, where the stage itself moves up and down, and you die if you're caught at the bottom. It's easy once you get used to it. Stage 2 is indeed the ice level, and I'd actually say it's the hardest level in the game. This morning when I replayed Hanamaru, it was the only stage I died on. You have to be really patient and have the controls down well. But every other stage is much easier from there once you learn them... you have to learn them pretty well though, especially the vertically-scrolling second-to-last stage, lots of platforming there.

I've never played Wai Wai World... I'm not sure if I'd like it, as I heard it was a non-linear "Metroidvania" style game, but I'm not sure if that's true. Last Famicom game I played was Batman. Beat it.