March 28, 2024, 03:21:17 am

Finds (NES)

Started by JC, August 26, 2006, 12:13:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

UglyJoe

The article about the voltage issue is here: https://db-electronics.ca/2017/07/05/the-dangers-of-3-3v-flash-in-retro-consoles/

The short version is: avoid new multicarts like the plague; use an Everdrive N8 instead.

P

Yes and even some of the Everdrives are bad as well, thankfully not the N8 though.

Quote from: jpx72 on November 26, 2017, 08:03:35 am
Quote from: P on November 26, 2017, 05:38:39 am
Isn't that one of those boards that's said to not handle 3.3 V to 5 V translation properly and may damage your Famicom?

I don't know! But I need to know, and how to fix it if possible, I just got this cart and I don't want to do damage.
https://imgur.com/a/NManR
https://imgur.com/a/9Jg76

Looks like it's using the same flash chip as one of the bad examples in the above linked article (MXIC 29GL256E which are rated for 3.6 V max), and only diodes on the power pin. Also I think someone posted a picture of the Mind Kids board before and it was determined to be one of the bad ones.

jpx72

Jesus... thank you guys and sorry for misleading this topic elsewhere. Anyway big thanks for the link, very good reading.

P

I'm a little worried if my Game Boy Everdrive is also badly designed considering many Everdrives are according to the article. If Everdrives are killing our old machines faster than normal, it's not a good thing at all considering how popular Everdrives are.

keiffer01

Wow, long time since I last wrote anything here! I still collect for NES, and today I bought myself something really nice, thought I'd show you guys first! I got it from a local video game store, he had it up on ebay for a while. I couldn't stand it anymore and bit the bullet. Still didn't get it for cheap at all, but I just couldn't help myself.

https://imgur.com/a/o1OwI

It's a legit USA / Canadian version which is extremely rare. You can find the Pal region ones more easily, but I personally never saw this US box, and the box looks very nice and clean! People seem quite focused with getting the NTSC variant of Stadium Events, but forget that this boxed US Family Fun Fitness pad is also very important!...Well, to me anyways! ;D

Retrospectives

Nice find! It's certainly a rare find since it was more or less intended to be played with Stadium Events. So now is your chance, Tokyo Olympic starts in less than two years, time to get FIT!!!  8) Just kidding, congratulations on a nice find!  :)

keiffer01

March 05, 2018, 08:16:07 am #771 Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 08:27:09 am by keiffer01
Thanks! :) I played with it yesterday and it sure does give a sweat, might make me more fit before the deadline! ;D

I just don't get why these are still passing under the radar and don't seem to command higher prices yet. You look on ebay or other sites and will find quite a few Stadium Events. When you look for the North American Family Fun Fitness pad in either listings for sale and past sold listings, it's almost impossible to find! I believe people have yet to realise that these are incredibly rare and important for the Stadium Events set (same goes for boxed Family Fun Fitness Athletic World, although Imo more common). If you find one boxed in the wild for cheap, I suggest you guys to pick it up before it's too late! :o

keiffer01

If you are quick enough you can still maybe find one cheaply online, saw a past auction on ebay US and the lucky guy got it for only 100$ US! ::) People who know nothing about it (that's most) maybe won't notice the difference with the PAL region boxes and sell it to you at the same prices as those. To spot the american version easily, it has the Bandai logo in the top left, and has a missing gameplay "screen" in the bottom left that says this is for PAL region systems.

keiffer01

Finfami

I bought a NES -clone labeled "Family Computer System" recently, paid 17€ incl. shipping. It came with two controllers and light gun. Front-loading system but not the same unreliable as in genuine NES. There has been discussion about it before on this forum and pictures, mine seems to have bit different revision of cpu and ppu.

https://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=3015.msg46494#msg46494

L___E___T

My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Retrospectives

Yeah, the Famicom Mini (the original mini not only the jump gold version) is also going to comeback. Around 5500 JPY if i remember correctly from store. :star: Biggest dissapointment is Famicom classic mini has hardwired controller although there is way around it by connecting an extension cable as the "hardwired" one and then just use whatever controller with Wii connector.

Often in west gamer say "Japan get always the best stuff" but in this case is opposite. The NES mini is superior in design to Famicom mini.  :D

P

Yeah unless you want the Famicom Classic Controller. And the NES Mini has the second controller sold separately, which was a cheap move considering the original NES came with two controllers. On the other hand SFC/SNES classic comes with two controllers with plugs in all regions.

Retrospectives

Quote from: P on June 23, 2018, 04:08:51 am
Yeah unless you want the Famicom Classic Controller. And the NES Mini has the second controller sold separately, which was a cheap move considering the original NES came with two controllers. On the other hand SFC/SNES classic comes with two controllers with plugs in all regions.

Really? Didn't know that. Just thought that the detachable controller design wise was a really smart move, but on the other hand, if only one controller is included it would considered being a really cheap move by Nintendo. For me is mostly about novelty though. Real FC is played on a real FC. With RF out and a shitty CRT TV of 14" and at best, no radio interference form older people still using radio hahaha  ;D

Just kidding, but I was never a kind of HDMI big screen optimized 1080 resolution or what is called. I like playing how it was meant to be played just for genuine feeling but of course AV out is better than RF.  ;)

P

Yeah on the other hand the SFC only came with one controller and Nintendo included two anyway for the classic mini so that was a cool move by Nintendo. I agree, the only reason I got the SFC classic mini was because of Star Fox 2 and the two SFC style Classic Controllers. Real FC and SFC is still to be played on real FC and SFC. I might get the FC classic mini as well though just for completion's sake.

Yeah RF is just shitty AV anyway since they both do composite.