books about Famicom

Started by manuel, August 27, 2006, 03:32:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Doc

Awesome shots!

However, I get this when I click on that...:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /stuff/fcfr.rar on this server.

manuel

That's weird... I tried to download it and there were no problems...
I'll try to put the link on an html file. Perhaps the provider doesn't allow direct linking. ???

http://manuel.web.fc2.com/fcfr.htm

Go there and right-click the link for "save target as...".

Doc

Still doesn't work. It says it's "damaged" here...

JC

I have no trouble with the images.

manuel

Quote from: FamicomJL on September 04, 2006, 01:51:52 pm
Still doesn't work. It says it's "damaged" here...

That's VERY weird. I downloaded it and could also extract it.
I checked again now and the file was erased from the server. I don't remember the TOS, but maybe rar files were prohibited there.
Next attempt: megaupload
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9NWQ5HZX

JC

September 04, 2006, 02:37:37 pm #35 Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 02:48:57 pm by JC
Quote from: JC on September 04, 2006, 02:13:48 pm
I have no trouble with the images.

Hell...I didn't notice your edit, manuel. I can't get that file either. And that new link doesn't seem to go anywhere useful. I don't know if I should click "Marijuana Alernative" or "Watch My Web Cams" -- lol.

EDIT: Found it. But .rar. I hate those...

Doc

This time the link works. Thanks. :)

manuel

Next book up is "Kyuukyoku Fami" (kyuukyoku meaning "extreme" or "ultimate").
It's similar to the book I showed before.
1246 games are shown with screenshots (3 per game), release info and a short review. All in Japanese only. The book also comes with a CD, which has emulators and some free roms on it.
What's different with this one is that it has a "Fami-Column" every some pages. Those are very interesting and go from Famicom rumours, showing of accessories, explanation of bugs or hidden messages inside game codes. Very nice. Last but not least it has a 8page "Famicom History".
I bought that book last year in August when I was in Japan. It only cost 1300 Yen. ;D And it's worth it.

Some pics so that you know what I talk about.

The cover and the CD inside:

Famicom History:

A page with reviews and a "Fami-Column":

So what do you think? Would those books interest you although they're in Japanese only?

I have more books on videogames in general (not only Famicom). How would you guys be interested in photos of these? If you're not interested I'm not going to take photos in the first place. ;)
But if you would like to see more, I'd be glad to come up with more. Let me know. :)

vealchop

"explanation of bugs or hidden messages inside game codes"

-man I'm really interested in some of those. Can you translate it?

Can you post up pics of the "Fami-Column" pages?

How bout a link for that CD-Rom too?
-chop

Doc

Actually, I'd like to see those translations aswell.  :)

manuel

September 07, 2006, 12:31:46 pm #40 Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 01:05:58 pm by manuel
When I find the time I'll pick some interesting columns and translate them.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UM7T82RO
This is the link to the roms on this CD. The file is a bit over 300kb and it's a zip this time.  ;)

edit: Wait a few minutes. I'll try to take a shot of one column with my digicam.

edit2: Took the pics. It's night already and the lighting wasn't perfect, but I could take somehow readable photos of one of the Fami-Columns.

I won't do a word-for-word translation, but give you the gist of it.
"A wondrous message hidden in a game"
The text says that in the code of the game "Ganso Saiyuuki Super Monkey Daibouken" a message from a designer of the game is hidden. You can find it using VirtualNES. You must load the rom, click on Tools>Viwer>Pattern Viewer and there you can find it.
A shot of the screen is there, but they blacked out the designer's name and a bit more "unappropriate wording" (according to text). :P
Here's the translation of the screenshot: (XYZ stands for blacked out parts) Text is in the upper part, yellow on red.
"Designer XYZ, born 1960 in Toyokawa-City in Aichi prefecture, 26 years old. (The game's from '86)
XYZ XYZ ... I want a girl who has sex with me. XYZ, XYZ, I love you! I love you!"

Here's the screenshot and below is the column itsself.

If anybody wants to know the designer's and/or the girl's name, please send me a screenshot from the actual rom, without blacked out letters. I don't have the Super Monkey ROM, so I can't do it myself. If anybody has, feel free to post.

vealchop

awesome! I'm gonna see if I can do it tonight. was there anymore hidden messages featured in the book?
-chop

manuel

I'll look through the book later. :)

Doc

""Designer XYZ, born 1960 in Toyokawa-City in Aichi prefecture, 26 years old. (The game's from '86)
XYZ XYZ ... I want a girl who has sex with me. XYZ, XYZ, I love you! I love you!""

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAA, whoa! That's CREEPY...

JC

Oh that's too cool. I'll have to add it to the site!