Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 23, 2019, 10:00:45 AM
Home Famicom World Search Calendar Login Register

+  Famicom World
|-+  Misc.
| |-+  Off-Topic Chat (Moderators: manuel, L___E___T)
| | |-+  Something that annoys you
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 103 Print
Author Topic: Something that annoys you  (Read 887505 times)
L___E___T
YAMAHA
Global Moderator
Disk-kun
Hong Kong Hong Kong

Hardware Collector

« Reply #1110 on: July 18, 2013, 10:34:59 PM »

Tell me about it.  London is a scuzzy haze right now to say the least.

My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。
Jedi QuestMaster
Jedi Knight
FW Legacy
FamicomBox

« Reply #1111 on: July 18, 2013, 10:39:07 PM »

When people park way too close to or over the edge of a parking line.

Vega aka M.Bison in SF2.
Speaking of which, the whole Vega / Bison / Balrog conundrum only gets worse with time. Capcom needs to remove that bandaid already.

Nightstar699
Always an AV Famicom
FamicomBox
United States United States

CIB games! They're pretty cool!

« Reply #1112 on: July 18, 2013, 11:19:42 PM »

I actually find the non-Japanese names more fitting... M. Bison sounds like a good name for a ruler, Vega sounds Spanish, and Balrog... well it sounds kinda intimidating. It seems fitting for his mean tough-guy personality.

So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...
L___E___T
YAMAHA
Global Moderator
Disk-kun
Hong Kong Hong Kong

Hardware Collector

« Reply #1113 on: July 18, 2013, 11:37:01 PM »

I have to say I prefer the JP names.  Bison fits with the whole buffalo thing, Balrog sounds like a winged creature from hell (LOTR) and Vega is, is, who knows Smiley

He's supposed to be a Western orphan from Thailand, so the name doesn't make much sense to me.

Gouki sounds much better than Akuma.

大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。
Jedi QuestMaster
Jedi Knight
FW Legacy
FamicomBox

« Reply #1114 on: July 18, 2013, 11:37:59 PM »

M.Bison always sounded odd to me.
Vega works as a Spanish name.
As for Balrog...

P
FamicomBox
Sweden Sweden

« Reply #1115 on: July 19, 2013, 09:37:15 AM »

I agree with LET that the Japanese names makes more sense. Mike Bison is an obvious parody on Mike Tyson and thus fits the boxer better. I think he retained his original name in the English version of the first Street Fighter anyway.

As for Vega it's the name of a star that's featured in the Chinese story "The Weaver Girl and the Cowherd". However Vega is represented by Orihime (the weaver girl) so it fits a girl better I think. BTW as a kid I initially thought Balrog/Vega (the Spanish guy) was a girl, and since Vega ends with an "A" it made even more sense.

Gouki and Akuma, both kind of means demon and both makes no sense if you don't know the Japanese words, so I don't follow the localizing staff's logic here.

Nightstar699
Always an AV Famicom
FamicomBox
United States United States

CIB games! They're pretty cool!

« Reply #1116 on: July 19, 2013, 09:42:15 AM »

Gouki and Akuma, both kind of means demon and both makes no sense if you don't know the Japanese words, so I don't follow the localizing staff's logic here.

Reminds me of Ninja Ryukenden vs. Ninja Gaiden.

So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...
StJackie
Disk System
Japan Japan

« Reply #1117 on: July 19, 2013, 10:50:22 AM »

The media and journalism today.

P
FamicomBox
Sweden Sweden

« Reply #1118 on: July 19, 2013, 11:08:54 AM »

I suppose that's because Ryukenden might be hard to pronounce for one that isn't used to Japanese, while they still wanted to keep it Japanese sounding. The fact that it's called Gaiden even though it's not a spin-off title wouldn't matter too much to a non-Japanese audience.

security16
Twin Famicom
Australia Australia

« Reply #1119 on: July 19, 2013, 11:39:01 AM »

Not being able to find my dremmel  Roll Eyes I think the deadshit ex may have taken it  Cry
L___E___T
YAMAHA
Global Moderator
Disk-kun
Hong Kong Hong Kong

Hardware Collector

« Reply #1120 on: July 19, 2013, 12:28:28 PM »

I suppose that's because Ryukenden might be hard to pronounce for one that isn't used to Japanese, while they still wanted to keep it Japanese sounding. The fact that it's called Gaiden even though it's not a spin-off title wouldn't matter too much to a non-Japanese audience.

Ironic that most people mispronounce the title regardless Smiley  Honestly, Ryukenden is a longer title than it ideally should be.  I'm somewhat surprised it didn't just end up being called Dragon Ninja.  Oh wait... Smiley

大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。
80sFREAK
Sharp C1

Hardware freak

« Reply #1121 on: July 20, 2013, 05:03:42 AM »

Not being able to find my dremmel  Roll Eyes I think the deadshit ex may have taken it  Cry
ex

Did i missed something?

I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
security16
Twin Famicom
Australia Australia

« Reply #1122 on: July 20, 2013, 05:30:06 AM »

ex

Did i missed something?

Sort of about 3 months ago the husband got told to fuck off  the abuse of both me and the little guy got a bit too much.  He took a whole heap of stuff some of which wasn't his, has demanded the ring back, expects me to let him go places with our son when I don't know where he lives and has made it so the police response time to my house for domestic violence issues very slow which makes me terrified. But now he is out of my way me and the little guy can set up famicoms and have fun!
P
FamicomBox
Sweden Sweden

« Reply #1123 on: July 20, 2013, 05:43:51 AM »

Damn! I'm sorry about that. Sad

Ironic that most people mispronounce the title regardless Smiley  Honestly, Ryukenden is a longer title than it ideally should be.  I'm somewhat surprised it didn't just end up being called Dragon Ninja.  Oh wait... Smiley
Heh, Japanese is very consistent with it's spelling and pronunciation rules, and it's spelling is very similar to it's IPA equivalents (it's basically pronounced as it's spelled with very few exceptions). How can they possibly pronounce that wrong? Ninja Gey-den maybe? Grin

Ryukenden is only 6 syllables long (ryu u ke n de n). But I think Japanese words tend to become very long compared to many other languages.

80sFREAK
Sharp C1

Hardware freak

« Reply #1124 on: July 20, 2013, 05:55:19 AM »

ex

Did i missed something?

Sort of about 3 months ago the husband got told to fuck off  the abuse of both me and the little guy got a bit too much.  He took a whole heap of stuff some of which wasn't his, has demanded the ring back, expects me to let him go places with our son when I don't know where he lives and has made it so the police response time to my house for domestic violence issues very slow which makes me terrified. But now he is out of my way me and the little guy can set up famicoms and have fun!
Sounds nice. Want to live in OZZ Smiley

I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 103 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: