Something that annoys you

Started by ericj, June 06, 2008, 05:22:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

L___E___T

Tell me about it.  London is a scuzzy haze right now to say the least.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Jedi Master Baiter

When people park way too close to or over the edge of a parking line.

Quote from: L___E___T on July 18, 2013, 05:26:28 am
Vega aka M.Bison in SF2.

Speaking of which, the whole Vega / Bison / Balrog conundrum only gets worse with time. Capcom needs to remove that bandaid already.

Nightstar699

I actually find the non-Japanese names more fitting... M. Bison sounds like a good name for a ruler, Vega sounds Spanish, and Balrog... well it sounds kinda intimidating. It seems fitting for his mean tough-guy personality.
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

L___E___T

I have to say I prefer the JP names.  Bison fits with the whole buffalo thing, Balrog sounds like a winged creature from hell (LOTR) and Vega is, is, who knows :)

He's supposed to be a Western orphan from Thailand, so the name doesn't make much sense to me.

Gouki sounds much better than Akuma.
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Jedi Master Baiter

M.Bison always sounded odd to me.
Vega works as a Spanish name.
As for Balrog...

P

I agree with LET that the Japanese names makes more sense. Mike Bison is an obvious parody on Mike Tyson and thus fits the boxer better. I think he retained his original name in the English version of the first Street Fighter anyway.

As for Vega it's the name of a star that's featured in the Chinese story "The Weaver Girl and the Cowherd". However Vega is represented by Orihime (the weaver girl) so it fits a girl better I think. BTW as a kid I initially thought Balrog/Vega (the Spanish guy) was a girl, and since Vega ends with an "A" it made even more sense.

Gouki and Akuma, both kind of means demon and both makes no sense if you don't know the Japanese words, so I don't follow the localizing staff's logic here.

Nightstar699

Quote from: P on July 19, 2013, 03:37:15 am
Gouki and Akuma, both kind of means demon and both makes no sense if you don't know the Japanese words, so I don't follow the localizing staff's logic here.

Reminds me of Ninja Ryukenden vs. Ninja Gaiden.
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

StJackie

The media and journalism today.

P

Quote from: Nightstar699 on July 19, 2013, 03:42:15 am

I suppose that's because Ryukenden might be hard to pronounce for one that isn't used to Japanese, while they still wanted to keep it Japanese sounding. The fact that it's called Gaiden even though it's not a spin-off title wouldn't matter too much to a non-Japanese audience.

security16

Not being able to find my dremmel  ::) I think the deadshit ex may have taken it  :'(

L___E___T

Quote from: P on July 19, 2013, 05:08:54 am

I suppose that's because Ryukenden might be hard to pronounce for one that isn't used to Japanese, while they still wanted to keep it Japanese sounding. The fact that it's called Gaiden even though it's not a spin-off title wouldn't matter too much to a non-Japanese audience.

Ironic that most people mispronounce the title regardless :)  Honestly, Ryukenden is a longer title than it ideally should be.  I'm somewhat surprised it didn't just end up being called Dragon Ninja.  Oh wait... :)
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

80sFREAK

Quote from: security16 on July 19, 2013, 05:39:01 am
Not being able to find my dremmel  ::) I think the deadshit ex may have taken it  :'(

ex

Did i missed something?
I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

security16

Quote from: 80sFREAK on July 19, 2013, 11:03:42 pm

ex

Did i missed something?

Sort of about 3 months ago the husband got told to fuck off  the abuse of both me and the little guy got a bit too much.  He took a whole heap of stuff some of which wasn't his, has demanded the ring back, expects me to let him go places with our son when I don't know where he lives and has made it so the police response time to my house for domestic violence issues very slow which makes me terrified. But now he is out of my way me and the little guy can set up famicoms and have fun!

P

Damn! I'm sorry about that. :(

Quote from: L___E___T on July 19, 2013, 06:28:28 am
Quote from: P on July 19, 2013, 05:08:54 am

Ironic that most people mispronounce the title regardless :)  Honestly, Ryukenden is a longer title than it ideally should be.  I'm somewhat surprised it didn't just end up being called Dragon Ninja.  Oh wait... :)

Heh, Japanese is very consistent with it's spelling and pronunciation rules, and it's spelling is very similar to it's IPA equivalents (it's basically pronounced as it's spelled with very few exceptions). How can they possibly pronounce that wrong? Ninja Gey-den maybe? ;D

Ryukenden is only 6 syllables long (ryu u ke n de n). But I think Japanese words tend to become very long compared to many other languages.

80sFREAK

Quote from: security16 on July 19, 2013, 11:30:06 pm
Quote from: 80sFREAK on July 19, 2013, 11:03:42 pm

ex

Did i missed something?

Sort of about 3 months ago the husband got told to fuck off  the abuse of both me and the little guy got a bit too much.  He took a whole heap of stuff some of which wasn't his, has demanded the ring back, expects me to let him go places with our son when I don't know where he lives and has made it so the police response time to my house for domestic violence issues very slow which makes me terrified. But now he is out of my way me and the little guy can set up famicoms and have fun!
Sounds nice. Want to live in OZZ :)
I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy