List of Famicom games that save with a Tape/Data Recorder

Started by skyrunner14, July 18, 2010, 03:45:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

P

Yeah it seems so. It's just how-to-play, walkthrough for Lode Runner and Nuts & Milk, and a yaku guide for 4-nin Uchi Mahjong.

Side B on that tape seems to have lots of explanations of how to use it with Family BASIC besides tape data.

UglyJoe

Oh hey, so it does.  It was late and I didn't listen to them very closely.  It's possible that I have Side A and Side B mixed up.

aitsu124

Increasing source of obscure Japanese information...and interface.

UglyJoe

aitsu124

September 20, 2016, 04:12:17 pm #19 Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 06:34:45 am by aitsu124
I think the case for Nuts & Milk supporting it should be reopened, due to some interesting/not researched enough in my opinion things:

1. Nuts & Milk is unable to use the expansion port as a P1 controller. Few games had this, and while not all supported games possessed this limitation, some did and it just served as another reason.

2. While I'm not an expert on the coding of these things by any means, couldn't another expansion port route be used to support it besides the one that's known to not?

3. It was made by Hudson. Considering they played a large part in developing the Family Basic, and the fact that it was likely released during the FB's development, it seems that they would've included this.

3 1/2. Also take into consideration that in Lode Runner, another of Hudson's games, a supported device must be plugged in for the options to come up. N&M could very well have the same thing going for it.

Since I do own a keyboard and Data Recorder, I'll probably pick up a copy sometime and try some things, but there are likely more efficient ways to go about this and I'm not sure when I'd be getting it. Something to look into for sure.

UglyJoe

Quote from: aitsu124 on September 20, 2016, 04:12:17 pm
3 1/2. Also take into consideration that in Lode Runner, another of Hudson's games, a supported device must be plugged in for the options to come up. N&M could very well have the same thing going for it.

There's no such menu.  At least, there is no data in the ROM that would display the words LOAD or SAVE or anything like that.

There's unused / debug code in the game, but none of it points toward being able to use the data recorder: https://tcrf.net/Nuts_%26_Milk

aitsu124

What about that part that mentions saving to ram? Would that be possible with some non-tape device?

P

Maybe on a flashcart if you somehow make the $8000-$FFFF area writable. Then you'd need a battery or non-volatile memory to keep the levels after power off.