Famicom AV Mod

Started by theelf, July 15, 2012, 01:49:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

theelf

HI, i was reading how to mod my famicom to have AV, but my famicom have square buttons, and i don't know if is the same that the round button famicom

I found this topic,

http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=5520.0

but i don't see diagrams, or what i need to make the AV mod in this different famicom

thanks

famifan

http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=4713.0 (a long one thread)

form of plastic buttons can't change anything related to PPU composite video output.

if you in doubt it is better to rebuild the complete buffer plus amplifier circuit connected to video output directly

UglyJoe

To the OP:

The thread you linked to is by a member who used to sell his own A/V mod kits.  He has since disappeared from FW after a mysterious fire, so you can pretty much abandon that avenue.

The "long thread" is the one to use for now.  It is summarized in this post: http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=4713.msg117815#msg117815
Quoteto summarise the steps:
1) shield the PPU crystal by some copper foil
2) use any AV-amplifier circuit you want. At least 3 variants you can find in this thread.
3) if unsatisfied with results (e.g. to much jailbars) - add ceramic capacitors as closer as possible to every ICs' power pins. 0.1uF al least. It is better to use SMD caps with the biggest capacitance you can find (also, can be a little expensive)

The first step pretty simple, just add copper foil tape to the PPU.  I don't know if placing the foil on the top of the PPU is good enough or if you will need to lift the PPU and cover both sides (as seen here).

The second step involves reading through the long thread and picking a video circuit.  As a non-technical guy, I think that the instructions on jpx72's website (as found in that thread) are the most user-friendly.

The third step is covered best in this post, I think.

Even though you (potentially) have an old square-button Famicom unit, I don't think the board varies so wildly that these same techniques wouldn't work.

---

To anyone else more knowledgeable on this subject:  Feel free to correct me anywhere I am factually inaccurate.  I would like to have a good summary of the av-mod thread, and this is my first attempt at doing that.

famiac

This should get stickied. All the good info in one place and if people want to add, they post.

jpx72

Finaly 80's! Thanks for uploading those schematics, I can do some drawings on actual PCB photos for easy install even for newbies.
BTW there is missing value on the capacitor at sharp twin schematic

theelf

July 16, 2012, 06:12:36 am #5 Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 06:20:34 am by theelf
Hi, thanks for reply to all

I don't understand much of hardware (I'm more software guy), but my brother yes, i will show this diagrams, for sure he can do the modding

Thanks 80sFREAK for the drawing

Now i need to think in a way of modding the console, without damage the case

In two days, i need to flight overseas, then i will do the mod in one month, i will post back then with results

QuoteEven though you (potentially) have an old square-button Famicom unit, I don't think the board varies so wildly that these same techniques wouldn't work.

No idea, i take a picture of the board

And reading, i found that this boards have a number in corner, mine have 03 in the board

For what i saw, is not different from others, then no problem for sure. Must not be so old

jpx72

Do you realize that your famicom is quite rare, Rev. 03 square button famicom? Maybe you shouldn't mod this one, keep it for it's value and buy another, round button one for modding and playing!
http://famicomworld.com/workshop/tech/square-button-famicom/

theelf

Quote from: jpx72 on July 16, 2012, 06:19:58 am
Do you realize that your famicom is quite rare, Rev. 03 square button famicom? Maybe you shouldn't mod this one, keep it for it's value and buy another, round button one for modding and playing!
http://famicomworld.com/workshop/tech/square-button-famicom/

Oh thanks i have no idea is rare, well, a famicom is only 200 yens in japan, for my is the same to buy a new one

Now i use a Famulator to play, have AV and the quality is good, i lime the pads!!

Is just a friend gift to me this famicom, and i wanna give some use, but i don't like RF :) jaja

thanks for tip, maybe better just put in collection without touch

jpx72

Man this is one of the rarest famicoms out there! Damn, get me one for that price too! ;D

theelf

July 16, 2012, 06:27:56 am #9 Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 06:35:45 am by theelf
Quote from: jpx72 on July 16, 2012, 06:24:55 am
Man this is one of the rarest famicoms out there! Damn, get me one for that price too! ;D

Oh this Famicom is a gift, like i say in the post i edit, but for 200-500 yen u can get a famicom in any store. 99% of time are round button, but i bought one square in past for 300 yen or something like this

Mi friend gift to me, the famicom, a nice Sansui pad (very cool pad), and a weird unplayable game :)

famiac

Family School.

Edit: i misread the katakana.

famiac

Da Bear

Quote from: 80sFREAK on July 15, 2012, 05:07:36 pm
Oh lol! I have to apologize to Da Bear - man, you doing very well... very well...

:o

Square or not. This is how I AV mod Famicoms that goes for sale, or Famicom's that I mod for other people. Minimal work on the motherboard, some components removed and replaced on the RF board.
Looks pretty neat. RF capabilities are gone though, as I output composite video on the RF connection. No complains yet and from the outside it looks almost stock.

When I do my own projects I don't really care how it looks.

GohanX

I like it! I completely removed the RF/power board and put a panel mount video jack in the RF opening myself, but I haven't built up the courage to drill/file a new hole for the audio jack(s) yet.

Da Bear

Filing the hole for the audiojack takes 5 minutes with a round file, not much of a hassle in my opinion.

It's the quality of the insulation on my wires that are the issue, not my skills. And as I said previous, my own private projects can look like shit for all that I care - as long as the results are pleasing Me.