Something that annoys you

Started by ericj, June 06, 2008, 05:22:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jedi Master Baiter

You do moments of silence for 9/11 in Kyrgyzstan? Did not know...

ericj

Quote from: petik1 on September 11, 2012, 03:43:03 pm
Moments of silence during school. They do absolutely nothing. We've done it ten times now for 9/11. It's about time we get over it.

I think kids today are too young to get it.

petik1

Quote from: Jedi QuestMaster on September 11, 2012, 03:47:31 pm
You do moments of silence for 9/11 in Kyrgyzstan? Did not know...

My location was supposed to be a joke, I just picked the country with the hardest-to-pronounce name.

Quote from: ericj on September 11, 2012, 04:26:52 pm

Perhaps. Care to explain the more adult point of view? I understand the effects it had on both the US and the world as a whole, and I understand that people died in some of the worst ways imaginable. But what good does it do to dwell on that for eleven years? I feel like most of my life (because it was) America has always had this NEVER FORGET AMERICAN PRIDE WE FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT mantra to it. And it always feels hollow; like people know instinctively to say it, but never actually act upon it.

son_ov_hades

Much in the same way that I'll never really understand 90 year olds crying on December 7th every year, I suspect you'll never really understand what September 11th means to those of us old enough to have lived it. Especially those of us in the New York metro area, we will never be able to "get over it".

JohnnyBlaze

It's like I say every year, I can understand a quick memorial for the victims, but what really pisses me off is how they bastardize it every year in the media. The families of the victims have wanted peace for years and every year, it gets denied to them. Imagine losing your loved one to a tragedy and every year seeing it blared on every front page, television, and magazine in the country. Doesn't feel good, does it?

I agree completely with petik1 and I'm pleased as punch to find someone else who shares my same view point on the matter instead of being called an unpatriotic asshole because I know a couple of people who lost loved ones that day and I know what they have to deal with on a daily basis.
Famicom Disk System: The More You Play It, the More You'll Want to Play

fredJ

Quote from: petik1 on September 11, 2012, 04:43:36 pm

Perhaps. Care to explain the more adult point of view? I understand the effects it had on both the US and the world as a whole, and I understand that people died in some of the worst ways imaginable. But what good does it do to dwell on that for eleven years? I feel like most of my life (because it was) America has always had this NEVER FORGET AMERICAN PRIDE WE FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT mantra to it. And it always feels hollow; like people know instinctively to say it, but never actually act upon it.

Haha, nice one,  I see there is hope in the future generation.
I don't have a moment of silence for Pearl Harbor either.
The only memorial I honor is the death of John Lennon, but I don't force anyone else to silence for it...
Selling  Japanese games in Sweden since 2011 (as "japanspel").
blog: http://japanspel.blogspot.com

80sFREAK

Quote from: ericj on September 11, 2012, 04:26:52 pm
Quote from: petik1 on September 11, 2012, 03:43:03 pm
Moments of silence during school. They do absolutely nothing. We've done it ten times now for 9/11. It's about time we get over it.

+1

9/11 changed things. Changed in very specific and weird way.
I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

Nightstar699

A lot of people seem to place emphasis on the day itself, rather than the tragedy that took place. I guess it's just easier to say "9/11" rather than "terrorist attacks on the world trade center". Either way, I agree with Petik on this one.
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

L___E___T

Having visited ground zero a couple of months after the attacks and the little chapel nearby, I will never forget this either.  You don't have to be American, you just have to bear in mind that this was a terrible thing that happened by a dark force that if it's not extremists, will be something else.  We should remember it not out of nationalistic pride, but as a reminder that there will always be dark forces at work that good people need to be aware of and combat so that they do not take over like they nearly did in the 40s.

Personally, having visited that chapel and read every messgae to a loved one lost, it's something that will never leave me.  Having seen skyscrapers that looked like Godzilla took a swipe at them, it made me realise that if this can happen, what other worse events do we need to look out for and help to prevent?

I think it's really poor form to try and say people need to 'get over it' or forget it - we shouldn't forget and 'never forget' is a mantra used here for WW1 and WW2, something I don't think you can really understand the gravity of until you are mature. Most 18 year olds, myself included haven't reached that awareness of their own mortality yet.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Nightstar699

I still think that moments of silence are a terrible way to "show respect" for something that happened. Seems counterproductive, if they want to reflect on a tragedy... then they should have a discussion or something,  but from what Petik said, his school just keeps having these moments of silence which seem pointless to me.

Edit: And I hate the term "9/11" with a passion but eh, I guess that's what it's known as, now.
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

petik1

When I say "get over it" I don't mean make little of it and make 9/11 jokes. I mean accept it, and stop jamming this fake patriotism down peoples' throats.

Jedi Master Baiter

Quote from: Nightstar699 on September 12, 2012, 04:57:15 am
A lot of people seem to place emphasis on the day itself, rather than the tragedy that took place. I guess it's just easier to say "9/11" rather than "terrorist attacks on the world trade center".

Probably because there was also the Pentagon attack, & then the plane that crashed in Pennsylvania. Saying "World Trade Center" kinda leaves them out? :-\

Nightstar699

Quote from: Jedi QuestMaster on September 12, 2012, 08:32:22 am
Quote from: Nightstar699 on September 12, 2012, 04:57:15 am
A lot of people seem to place emphasis on the day itself, rather than the tragedy that took place. I guess it's just easier to say "9/11" rather than "terrorist attacks on the world trade center".

Probably because there was also the Pentagon attack, & then the plane that crashed in Pennsylvania. Saying "World Trade Center" kinda leaves them out? :-\

That is true. It's just kinda annoying in some ways, I know someone who was born on September 11th, and he says whenever he tells people when his birthday is, they feel sorry for him and immediately draw it to the terrorist attacks.

son_ov_hades

Quote from: L___E___T on September 12, 2012, 05:33:03 am
Having visited ground zero a couple of months after the attacks and the little chapel nearby, I will never forget this either.  You don't have to be American, you just have to bear in mind that this was a terrible thing that happened by a dark force that if it's not extremists, will be something else.  We should remember it not out of nationalistic pride, but as a reminder that there will always be dark forces at work that good people need to be aware of and combat so that they do not take over like they nearly did in the 40s.

Personally, having visited that chapel and read every messgae to a loved one lost, it's something that will never leave me.  Having seen skyscrapers that looked like Godzilla took a swipe at them, it made me realise that if this can happen, what other worse events do we need to look out for and help to prevent?

I think it's really poor form to try and say people need to 'get over it' or forget it - we shouldn't forget and 'never forget' is a mantra used here for WW1 and WW2, something I don't think you can really understand the gravity of until you are mature. Most 18 year olds, myself included haven't reached that awareness of their own mortality yet.

My god man. Yes, just yes.

Nightstar699

Something that annoys me, or confuses me, rather, is when people call the original NES model the "toaster". This astounds me because every toaster I've seen, the bread goes in the top, not the front... so if anything the NES Top Loader should be the toaster... but I digress.