Last game you beat (including Famicom)

Started by Doc, July 29, 2006, 11:29:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Nightstar699

February 22, 2013, 11:07:13 pm #120 Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 12:27:55 am by Nightstar699
Games I beat today:

Thunder Warrior (Famicom)
Power Blade (NES)

Wish I could add G.I. Joe: Real American Hero for the NES to that list, but the last level was pissing me off and I had to eat dinner so yeah... I'll try later. There's a password continuation system anyway, so it's okay.

Edit: Just beat G.I. Joe. Oddly enough, I actually died at the same time as the final boss... for a second I got angry thinking I'd have to start the level all over again, but luckily for me it counted as a win anyway. Surprise that game actually had some mercy on me...
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

egg_sanwich

Mighty Final Fight!

Was actually a pretty quick and easy play through.

Nightstar699

Quote from: egg_sanwich on February 24, 2013, 11:00:23 pm
Mighty Final Fight!

Was actually a pretty quick and easy play through.

Good work, soldier. I once had that on a GBA multicart and I loved it, might look into rebuying it someday.

Games I beat today:
Power Blade 2 (Famicom)
Flintstones: The Surprise at Dinosaur Peak (Famicom)
Kiwi Kraze (NES)
Shatterhand (NES)
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

Nightstar699

Mickey Mouse III (Famicom)
Golden Axe II (Genesis)
World of Illusion (Genesis)

nerdynebraskan

I've been in an unusual gaming mood. I've been revisiting obscure NES games that I grew up with. Last night, I beat DynoWarz for the first time in about 15 years. It was probably only the second time in the last 15 years that I'd played it for more than 10 minutes. It's not a particularly long or difficult game, but it does require patience to complete it because of some tough platforming combined with stiff jumping mechanics. The game's concept, of giant dinosaur mechs battling, was pretty cool. But it definitely could've used better execution than it got.

Today, I went back to another NES game that I have vague memories of conquering in middle school: Cobra Command. This one is lacking polish in a few areas, but this is overall a very interesting and enjoyable game. It's got some stiff challenge to it in places, but it's overall pretty fair. And I really enjoy the weapons upgrade system. I played it twice back-to-back, but wasn't able to finish it. The game has limited continues. I exhausted them on the first playthrough on Stage 4, and the second time I reached the opening part of Stage 7 (which is the final stage). Unfortunately, I apparently missed an upgrade depot in one of the middle stages, and I just didn't have enough engine speed to pass the instant-death fireballs at the beginning of the final stage. (It was terribly frustrating to get wiped out by the first obstacle of the stage 15 or so times in a row before the ultimate Game-Over!) I may try to get it done again later today or maybe tomorrow.
Can Nintendo Age Beat Every NES Game in 2015?

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=140551

Ghegs

Prince of Persia, the DOS version. A while back I read through Jordan Mechner's "The Making of Karateka" and its follow-up "The Making of Prince of Persia" and it occurred to me that I've never actually beaten the original PoP. So I went and did that.

Very awesome game, still holds up today. I'll probably even return to it every now and then, to try and beat it without ever dying. First time I cleared it legitimately (ie. no savescumming) I did it with mere five minutes left on the clock.

nerdynebraskan

Finally knocked out Cobra Command (NES). That last level was a serious pain. Took me six or seven tries (10+ lives and then game-over/restart the game), across three days. The crazy thing is I vaguely remember beating this when I was around 10 years old. Clearly, I must've cheated my way through with a Game Genie.

Nightstar699

At GameWorks arcade:

Raiden Fighters
Metal Slug 5
Super Street Fighter IV (Arcade mode cleared twice, once as E. Honda, once as Balrog. Plus today I racked up a 26 game winstreak against a couple of players there)

nerdynebraskan

I just knocked out Ghostbusters II (NES) for the first time. I've been playing this sucker for 20 years, so it's a good feeling to finally finish this one.

nerdynebraskan

I just knocked out Terminator 2 for the NES, for the first time. Another childhood favorite, conquered at last! Another contribution to NintendoAge's completion project.

Cheetahmen

Life is too short to be little.
Twitter | DeviantArt | Youtube | Twitch

Nightstar699

Gun+Nac, no continues used. I must say this is tied with Talespin for my favorite shooting game, I love the boss graphics in it.

Magicantian

CaveStory+ I highly recommend anyone give it a try, it's loads of fun and would've definitely been a great seller if it could've made it onto the famicom.

Nightstar699

I haven't played that game, but it wouldn't have necessarily sold well on the Famicom just because it's good. I've noticed that generally the best games also happen to be the most obscure and unknown. There isn't really a direct correlation between quality and sales, I mean, just look at how many sports/Mah-Jong games are among the best-selling titles for Famicom.

Magicantian

I guess I should have said could have been a great seller. Are there any places that actually show overall game sales or maybe even production numbers?