Gimmick repro with sunsoft 5PB

Started by Pit, November 13, 2013, 08:19:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JetBlackSVW

Thank you very much for the guide!

Maybe I will build one next year, but that sound circuit seems like a lot of work.

jensma

Yeah, it kinda is when you don't get a 5B. :/

It's worth the effort though :D

jensma

Hey there!

Since I kinda disliked my Gimmick repro based off a FME-7 I made a pcb for it.

This is kinda the "beta"-Version of it, but it works just fine (the silkscreen '56pF should actually be 10nF and you have to connect two pins of the prg rom, see this photo -> http://jensma.de/upload/files/9kooqcpuxjaRwRPbsJrR0.jpg :) )

You have to transplant your FME-7 and the capacitor of your donor card. The eproms (I used two 27C020) can be soldered in without any rewiring. Since there was no space left for any more DIP packages (except the AY-3-8912) I had to use soic's for the 74LS74 and 74LS139.

If anybody want a pcb or two - just drop me a pn. I live in germany and international shipping should be around $3.60, the price for one pcb is $3  ;D

PS: The pcb has the exact thickness of original famicom-pcbs and it fits perfectly into a sunsoft-shell. In addition to that it's ENIG-plated!  :star: :star: :star:

Ryo

Quote from: jensma on April 27, 2016, 11:01:41 am
Hey there!

Since I kinda disliked my Gimmick repro based off a FME-7 I made a pcb for it.

This is kinda the "beta"-Version of it, but it works just fine (the silkscreen '56pF should actually be 10nF and you have to connect two pins of the prg rom, see this photo -> http://jensma.de/upload/files/9kooqcpuxjaRwRPbsJrR0.jpg :) )

You have to transplant your FME-7 and the capacitor of your donor card. The eproms (I used two 27C020) can be soldered in without any rewiring. Since there was no space left for any more DIP packages (except the AY-3-8912) I had to use soic's for the 74LS74 and 74LS139.

If anybody want a pcb or two - just drop me a pn. I live in germany and international shipping should be around $3.60, the price for one pcb is $3  ;D

PS: The pcb has the exact thickness of original famicom-pcbs and it fits perfectly into a sunsoft-shell. In addition to that it's ENIG-plated!  :star: :star: :star:

Cool!!! :o

ImATrackMan

(except the AY-3-8912) I had to use soic's for the 74LS74 and 74LS139.

I'm amazed by the dedication necessary to make repro boards specifically for Gimmick!, but I'm still surprised by the prevalence of the AY when Gimmick uses an equivalent of the YMZ. Using one would have cut down on board size and necessary components.

jensma

Quote from: ImATrackMan on May 03, 2016, 12:17:53 pm
(except the AY-3-8912) I had to use soic's for the 74LS74 and 74LS139.

I'm amazed by the dedication necessary to make repro boards specifically for Gimmick!, but I'm still surprised by the prevalence of the AY when Gimmick uses an equivalent of the YMZ. Using one would have cut down on board size and necessary components.

Oh, I didn't know that. Well, too late  ;D

Arkanix38

Might have to grab one of these boards for when I feel like making something quickly. Been meaning to play Gimmick (without the obligatory pirate cart or spending all of my university fund)

xIceMan

Is there a schematic for the YMZ to use for gimmick?

jensma

Quote from: xIceMan on May 04, 2016, 02:15:18 am
Is there a schematic for the YMZ to use for gimmick?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Instrument_AY-3-8910#Variants

Some of the YMZ*-variants got pretty similar pinouts compared to the AY-3-8912. That's pretty handy, since they come in smaller packages like QFP. Unfortunatly I'm not able to find a place to buy them.  :(

Pit

jensma

May 05, 2016, 05:40:25 am #70 Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 06:01:34 am by jensma
Quote from: Pit on May 05, 2016, 03:24:38 am
Great job on that !!

Thanks, but this is the work of the community and other nifty contributors. I just collected the bits and pieces and throw a pcb together.

PS: I sent new layouts to the factory yesterday. When I receive the pcbs and they work like intended I'll release the layout files for everyone to use.  ;D

ImATrackMan

What format are they? KiCAD, Eagle, Altium, etc?

jensma

May 15, 2016, 01:52:13 am #72 Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 07:44:03 am by jensma
Quote from: ImATrackMan on May 14, 2016, 04:00:45 am
What format are they? KiCAD, Eagle, Altium, etc?

KiCAD. Still waiting for the pcb's :)

Post Merge: May 17, 2016, 07:42:51 am

The boards arrived and they're working  ;D Just drop your compenents in and solder them down.

Here's the kicad fesign files and plot files for manufacturing, as promised: http://jensma.de/shop/tutorials/gimmick.zip
The files are released under this license - http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/ - So be nice  :-*

number47

I see you have a neat little shop for these boards. How much is the shipping (to Estonia)?

jensma

Quote from: number47 on May 21, 2016, 12:03:33 pm
I see you have a neat little shop for these boards. How much is the shipping (to Estonia)?

3,20€ :)
I do have some AY-3-8912's kicking around, if you need one  ;D