List of Game Genie codes

Started by JC, September 19, 2007, 09:20:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

UglyJoe

Quote from: satoshi_matrix on February 13, 2017, 10:09:51 pm
That works on stages, but not bosses. Can you come up with something that works on bosses?

ATXXISSZ

That worked for me on the Kirby boss and Yoshinoman.  Didn't try the others.

Jedi Master Baiter

February 21, 2017, 10:55:24 pm #226 Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 10:06:27 pm by Jedi QuestMaster
Having played through half of Ganbare Goemon 2 and not wanting to start over, I created some Game Genie codes to start off on different stages:

Ganbare Goemon 2:
TAEIOGPA - Start on Stage 2
PAEIOGPE - Start on Stage 3
TAEIOGPE - Start on Stage 4
GZEIOGPE - Start on Stage 5
YLEIOGPA - Start on Stage 6

Okay, nevermind. After completing a stage, it assumes you beat stage 1 and moves on to stage 2. Can anyone help me figure out how to do a stage skip properly?

Using the cheat search on FCEUXD, I found that address 07B4 is the current stage (00=stage 1, 01=stage 2, etc.). I plugged that into the debugger, but could not find any breakpoints.

satoshi_matrix

Hey UglyJoe, I saw a video on youtube that explained the ugly leftmost vertical bar in many NES and Famicom games is a CPU-controlled mask layer used to better hide swapping of nametables.

Is it possible to disable this through the use of GameGenie?

It's present in Super Mario Bros. 3, Megaman 3-6 and many others. Think you could whip up codes to remove it? I'd just like to see for myself what the result would look like without the line, especially for Megaman 3-6.

P

April 09, 2017, 11:25:15 pm #228 Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 11:57:51 pm by P
Sounds like you are talking about bit 1 and 2 of register $2001. Both bits, when zero, hides the leftmost 8 pixel columns of background and sprites respectively for bit 1 and 2.

If a game is using the mask, I guess it's to hide some ugly artefacts that results from scrolling or something, so it might not be pretty to remove it. But it would be interesting to see how it looks. I tried simply forcing the bits to 1 in SMB3 in FCEUX but the game is updating the register every frame so my changes was overwritten immediately.

I guess a Game Genie code should do the trick.

UglyJoe

April 10, 2017, 03:54:08 am #229 Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 08:17:38 pm by UglyJoe
Quote from: satoshi_matrix on April 09, 2017, 09:56:42 pm
Is it possible to disable this through the use of GameGenie?

It depends entirely on how the game is coded.

Quote from: satoshi_matrix on April 09, 2017, 09:56:42 pm
It's present in Super Mario Bros. 3

So you want to see the ugly artifacts, then?

TPUYLSAO
TPVNXEAO

That'll work for level 1-1 and possibly others.  It would probably take too many codes to patch the whole game.

Rockman 3:

TPSYNVAO
TPUKTSAO

Rockman 4:

TPSNNVAO
TPNGTUAO

Rockman 5:

TPSNNVAO
TOSKTXAO

Rockman 6:

NYNKIEON

satoshi_matrix

This is real interesting stuff. Seems like in a lot of places Capcom didn't even bother making the leftmost eight pixels correct in many places - they are garbaged parts of tiles or else just glitchy.

This brings up a second question. Why is there a need for a two line code for all but Megaman 6? What's different about Megaman 6 compared to say, 5 that allows it to get the same effect from a single line of GameGenie instead of two?

UglyJoe

Quote from: satoshi_matrix on May 05, 2017, 02:40:46 pm
This brings up a second question. Why is there a need for a two line code for all but Megaman 6? What's different about Megaman 6 compared to say, 5 that allows it to get the same effect from a single line of GameGenie instead of two?

I don't have the time to look up the code right now, but I can assure you that it is nothing really notable.  I think 3/4/5 bit mask the PPUMASK in two places and 6 only does it in one place.

I remember from the sound hacking GG codes that 3/4/5 have a very similar engine (the same GG code worked for all three) and then 6 needed a different code since it seems to use a new (or altered) engine.

P

In other words, one Game Genie code changes one byte, all Rockmans except 6 needed two bytes to be changed, so they got two codes, while Rockman 6 only needed one byte to be changed.

I tried the code for SMB3. It has lots of scrolling artifacting as it is, when removing this mask it gets much worse.

satoshi_matrix

May 07, 2017, 02:46:16 pm #233 Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 03:07:27 pm by satoshi_matrix
Thanks for that explanation.

Can you disable the BGM in these? I came across some nice rom hacks that I want to overlay with my own bgms. I'll list them in order of priority.

Bomberman 1 (Japanese version if it matters)
Mappy
Challenger
Ice Climber
Donkey Kong
Dig Dug II
Binary Land
Atlantis no Nazo
Nuts & Milk
Dig Dug
Spartan X
Pooyan
Clu Clu Land

UglyJoe

May 12, 2017, 04:19:33 am #234 Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 07:00:17 pm by UglyJoe
Bomberman (JP):
No BGM: AUXTIKOK AUXTTKLE

This also makes the "STAGE X" screens flash by rather quickly, since I guess it's programmed to wait until the song is over before moving on, but since there's no song it just moves right along.

Post Merge: May 13, 2017, 06:26:47 pm

Can't figure out Mappy.

Challenger - No BGM - OZOGEXPE AAOGOZEA

Post Merge: May 14, 2017, 07:00:17 pm

Ice Climber - No BGM - OXNNKLSX AENNSUUY

satoshi_matrix

May 15, 2017, 01:20:13 pm #235 Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 02:04:56 am by satoshi_matrix
Thanks. I would assume that these Namco games would all work similarly. If not Mappy, what about Dig Dug 1?

Post Merge: May 17, 2017, 02:04:56 am

Hey UglyJoe, a whiile ago I asked you for Castlevania 1 no BGM.

For that you gave me

XXKGTZVZ
EEKGYXAZ

Can you see about an adjusted code for the Famicom cart version of Akumajou Dracula released in 1993? Found a hack that uses that version and need to mute the bgms.

satoshi_matrix

Another gentle bump for UglyJoe  :D

UglyJoe

Quote from: satoshi_matrix on May 15, 2017, 01:20:13 pm
Hey UglyJoe, a whiile ago I asked you for Castlevania 1 no BGM.

For that you gave me

XXKGTZVZ
EEKGYXAZ

Can you see about an adjusted code for the Famicom cart version of Akumajou Dracula released in 1993? Found a hack that uses that version and need to mute the bgms.

For Akumajou Dracula no BGM, use:

XXVGIZVZ
EEVGTXAZ

DDCecil

I had an idea for a code I'd love to see: Skip the opening red/blue flashing seizure screen of Transformers: Convoy no Nazo and go right to the Stage 1 screen.

satoshi_matrix

Thanks for the Akumajou Dracula no bgm code.

Could you please generate no bgm codes for

Gradius 2 and Salamander

Thanks.