RF Fami or AV Fami?

Started by boye, June 03, 2019, 06:45:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you prefer the AV Famicom or the original (RF) Famicom?

Original Famicom
AV Famicom
Twin Fami

boye

I honestly prefer the RF Fami.
Can't find the FDSLoadr PC program? Get it here. It took me way too long to find.

Ghegs

AV Fami all the way. The original is ugly (unpopular opinion, I'm sure) and the hard-wired controllers...come on now.

boye

Quote from: Ghegs on June 03, 2019, 07:06:17 pm
The original is ugly (unpopular opinion, I'm sure)

With an opinion like that, you should brace for a flame war.
Also, I use a CRT with my Fami, which masks some of the imperfections of RF video, Also, the controllers are easily replaceable despite being hard-wired.
Can't find the FDSLoadr PC program? Get it here. It took me way too long to find.

Jedi Master Baiter

I just don't understand how anyone can enjoy a game with a cord sticking out of the side of the gamepad. :gamer:

FAMICOM_87

I like more the original design :) 

FAMICOM_87

Quote from: togemet2 on June 03, 2019, 11:27:19 pm
Quote from: FAMICOM_87 on June 03, 2019, 10:52:07 pm
I like more the original design :)  

I agree. I like the original design much more than the AV version.

The AV Famicom looks a little too bland for me. If I had to choose my favourite Famicom though, it'd probably be the Sharp Twin Famicom.
Those are awesome. You get the best of both worlds thanks to it having a built in disk drive.  :bub:

I think that the original famicom + disk system on the bottom still looks much sexier  ;D then twin famicom aether of  the 2 revisions .

P

Original all the way. Both design-wise and feature-wise.
(no microphone = not good enough)
And yeah AV Famicom and top-loader NES looks too bland. The dogbone controllers are not too bad though.

The only pros with the AV Famicom is that it has stock AV and (incomplete) NES controller sockets. If one mods it to add a microphone and all four missing output ports in the controller sockets however, it would be superior feature-wise.

adori_12

Definitely Original Famicom by far. Beautifully designed, even more when you realize how odd an AV Famicom looks on top of a Disk System. Oh, and those round controllers that you can fit on the console's slots make the original model look so cute :D
Not hating on the AV Fami, but there's something on it that makes it look cheap for me, I'm not sure what is it.
De todo un poco es el sabor de la vida, ida y vuelta en lo de siempre, empobrece y deja roto.

boye

I've added the Sharp Twin Famicom to the poll.
Quote from: Jedi QuestMaster on June 03, 2019, 08:51:16 pm
I just don't understand how anyone can enjoy a game with a cord sticking out of the side of the gamepad. :gamer:

With the way I hold the Fami/NES controller, the wire coming out the side is hardly a problem.

Ghegs

Quote from: boye on June 03, 2019, 08:09:49 pm
Quote from: Ghegs on June 03, 2019, 07:06:17 pm
The original is ugly (unpopular opinion, I'm sure)

With an opinion like that, you should brace for a flame war.
Also, I use a CRT with my Fami, which masks some of the imperfections of RF video, Also, the controllers are easily replaceable despite being hard-wired.

I use a CRT with my RGB-modded AV Famicom because RF is horrible and should be shunned.

boye

Sorry for sounding purist-y, but I feel that hooking up a RF Fami to a CRT gives the most authentic experience.

R_Leo_1

I prefer the design of the original RF Famicom, but I greatly prefer the AV out on the AV model.

Jedi Master Baiter

Quote from: Ghegs on June 04, 2019, 12:13:53 pmI use a CRT with my RGB-modded AV Famicom because RF is horrible and should be shunned.

I think both RF and RGB mods look bad. ;D One is too muddy and the other too crisp. AV composite is just right. ;)

FAMICOM_87

Quote from: Jedi QuestMaster on June 04, 2019, 06:44:34 pm
Quote from: Ghegs on June 04, 2019, 12:13:53 pmI use a CRT with my RGB-modded AV Famicom because RF is horrible and should be shunned.

I think both RF and RGB mods look bad. ;D One is too muddy and the other too crisp. AV composite is just right. ;)

vertical lines on RGB are perfect like horizontal ones, and on AV/RF only horizontal are perfect, and verticals are fuzzy , so RGB I think is better, and if you fell it too sharp, you  can  set the sharpness on low from the TV set

schnuth

The Twin Fami was my first Fami. So I only have eyes for her. :)

Post Merge: June 04, 2019, 07:29:01 pm

The Twin Fami was my first Fami. So I only have eyes for her. :)