RF Fami or AV Fami?

Started by boye, June 03, 2019, 06:45:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you prefer the AV Famicom or the original (RF) Famicom?

Original Famicom
AV Famicom
Twin Fami

senseiman

I am split on this.

From an aesthetic and nostalgia point of view the red and white Famicom is the only way to go.  It just looks so great.

From a practical point of view though the AV Famicom is hard to beat.  Having the controller wires come out the front rather than the back is a huge plus, and most modern TVs don't accept RF (or at least the one in my living room doesn't) so its a lot easier.

I have both and the AV Famicom is the primary one for use, though I still have an old school TV that I specifically keep for use with my RF Famicom (and other 80s consoles that use it).

Jedi Master Baiter

Quote from: FAMICOM_87 on June 04, 2019, 06:47:55 pmvertical lines on RGB are perfect like horizontal ones, and on AV/RF only horizontal are perfect, and verticals are fuzzy , so RGB I think is better, and if you fell it too sharp, you  can  set the sharpness on low from the TV set

Well as long as it's on a CRT screen, otherwise there's no pixel bleed! ;D Gotta love that blending of colors.

P

The cable coming out from the side of the original controllers is not a problem. It looked uncomfortable compared to NES controllers first time I used it I think, but it is something you get used to right away. The cable naturally slips in between your fingers.

The short cables coming out of the back of the Famicom is more of a problem though. RF only is another.

Pikkon

I own both but I use my Av Fami all the time,plus I have it hooked up my 1983 Nec crt which looks awesome.

L___E___T

Original for looks, AV Fami for playing.

I also don't mind the side cable and find the original fami pad the nicest to play with actually, but as a rule I play with NES pads on the AV Fami.  I do have a couple of original controllers with a NES / AV Fami plug. 
So that's my preferred option - original controller, with the AV Famicom.  I find the rounded corners and button placement better than on the AV Famicom's dogbone controller.   Those are my least preferred option.

I can't understand playing in RF myself.  I used to insist on composite but an RGB modded AV Famicom on a PVM is a beautiful sight to behold.  I would definitely recommend trying it even if you're an RF diehard.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Pikkon

While I don't have a rgb modded av fami I have my pi 3 hooked up to my crt via scart and rgb on the fami is crazy sharp.

boye

Even though I don't have one yet, I believe the Twin Fami AN-505 is the definitive Famicom. Built-in Disk System, turbo controllers, a sleek design, Controller 2 mic, AV out, this is the definitive Famicom. If only I could change my vote...
Can't find the FDSLoadr PC program? Get it here. It took me way too long to find.

FAMICOM_87

you should add SHARP Famicom Titler to the list too  ;D

boye

I wonder if someone on the forums would like to make a Famicom tier list.
Can't find the FDSLoadr PC program? Get it here. It took me way too long to find.

boye

Quote from: L___E___T on June 05, 2019, 03:26:11 am
Original for looks, AV Fami for playing.

Why not the Twin Famicom?

L___E___T

I don't own a Twin fami but do like the Orange one.
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

boye

Yelir

You can both be wrong. I actually think it's closer to a coral/salmon color depending on sunfade. ;D

L___E___T

I mean this one specifically, it's pretty orange.  An easier way of saying I don't mean the regular red Twins.

大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Pikkon

That's a custom painted one if I remember correctly.