WTB: A NES-to-Famicom controller converter

Started by nintendodork, June 10, 2009, 04:26:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkanix38

In a pinch you can always grab a DB-15 solder connector and pull it apart. The shipping on cables from overseas just isn't worth it for me, so a modded DB15 connector is perfect for me.

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/snk-neo-geo-diy-db15-controller-plug/

jacobprater1983

Are you able to make this 15 pin to two NES controller port adapters? This would be really cool for my AV Fami. I am willing to pay $$$$ and supply the needed parts.

xIceMan

I've made one a few months ago. If you're interested let me know.

jensma

From what I've heard some games won't work with these adapters. Is that true? If so, is there any list of non-working games?

P

Any game that doesn't read controllers from the expansion port won't work. I'm not aware of any lists but it's mostly non-Japan made games (not all non-Japan made games though) and Super Mario USA. The majority of games by Japanese companies does support it.
Also 3/4 player games will use the expansion port controllers for player 3 and 4 only, and the built-in controllers for player 1 and 2.

xIceMan

I really like the design of the build in controller but the cable length just sucks. You really have to sit in front of the TV, can't even lay down or sit anywhere. :(

jensma

Yeah, the cable length sucks. I have the Twin Famicom sit right next to me on the floor while playing.  ;D

trevofour

October 22, 2015, 07:49:44 am #37 Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 01:44:06 pm by trevofour
I have one of these that I'd sell for $25 shipped in the US:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Famicom-to-NES-Cable-Converter-Adapter-Connect-NES-Controller-or-Zapper-to-FC-/272020190707?hash=item3f55aab5f3:g:muIAAOSwpDdVMl~D

It's stated in the description, but note that it doesn't work with 2 NES controllers at once. A friend of mine made me a custom adapter and I no longer need this one.

SOLD!

Cmercur

Hello! Sorry for resurrecting an old topic but I am too looking for a modded cable for connecting the NES Zapper(and other accessories)  to the 15-pin expansion port. Suitable parts are found at eBay: NES and Famicom extension cables. I am willing to pay a fair price for it. Ideally it's a short cable that allows connecting a Zapper and regular ccontroller at the same time.

krzy

June 17, 2019, 02:41:39 am #40 Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 02:48:51 am by krzy
I am willing to pay a fair price for it. Ideally it's a short cable that allows connecting a Zapper and regular ccontroller at the same time

Controllers use the following pins: $4016.D0 for Player1 and $4017.D0 for Player2. There are a few problems:

* $4016.D0 pin is missing in the EXP port so you won't be able to plug external Player1 controller
* You should not connect additional controller to EXP if the internal controllers are plugged, otherwise you will make short-circuit and none of the controllers wilk work.
* Luckily some games look also at $4016.D1 and $4017.D1 so alternatively you can connect external controller to those pins, but this is not standard behaviour and probably many games will just simply won't work with that.

If you want 100% compatible adapter, you should modify your famicom:
* disconnect internal joypads
* cut /IRQ track from EXP port (no known accessory uses it) and route $4016.D0 there

Cmercur

I don't want to mess with the internals of the console, nor I have the skills to do it. Modded cable it is. Don't you want any money?

P

Then you'll just go the expansion controller route ($4016.D1 and $4017.D1).
You will be able to use the Zapper in the second port, and NES controllers in both ports will act like normal expansion controllers.

Cmercur

Quote from: P on June 17, 2019, 03:46:04 pm
Then you'll just go the expansion controller route ($4016.D1 and $4017.D1).
You will be able to use the Zapper in the second port, and NES controllers in both ports will act like normal expansion controllers.

I want something like this (with correct size expansion port connector)
But I can't do it myself. How about 30-40 bucks for one?
Quote from: 133MHz on June 13, 2009, 01:58:35 pm

krzy

June 18, 2019, 03:57:00 am #44 Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 12:18:39 pm by krzy
I can do it for you for 30$ with shipping included but as I told you, this type of adapter will not work with 100% of games (probably only with those that were released for famicom, not NES).
Zapper should work with any game.

I don't have such fancy NES-joypad  ports, mine will look like those below.

If you're interested, PM me.

--

I projected the PCB - it will look like that and allow you to connect not only NES pads, but also regular 9 or 15 pin pads (or zapper).
Those PCB will be connected using ribbon cable (probably around 10cm). All connectors will be mounted vertically.

---

Et voila!