Rare Epoch Super Cassette Vision?

Started by dado2095, January 30, 2021, 09:02:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

dado2095

Hello!

A couple of weeks ago I bought a beat up  Epoch Super Cassette Vision because there was something "wrong" with it; usually the the controllers are red and blue (unlike the picture on the box, that displays both controller as red), but this console have both controllers in red!

I am not a SCV expert by any mean, but I've never seen something like this, and it doesn't look like somebody tampered it. For what I know the controllers are both red only in the advertising material.

Is there anyone more experienced than me who can give some more information on the matter?

Thanks in advance,
Dario

fcgamer

I know absolutely nothing about this but it looks cool!
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

P

I second that! I only know some of its history and that it's using the CPU in console and ROM in cartridge (unlike the original Cassette Vision where each cartridge had its own ROM+CPU!). It was apparently very popular as a cheaper alternative to the Famicom until the Famicom boom.
Got to love these pre-Famicom systems having most buttons on the console rather than on the joysticks.

If it's that uncommon I guess it's possible that the blue joystick simply was broken and replaced by a spare red one. Replacing a joystick is probably not harder than on a Famicom (unless they are soldered to the PCB).
But it's funny that the box doesn't reflect the more common setup of a red and blue joystick. Maybe early versions were designed like this.

dado2095

Update! I opened the SCV and I was wrong, somebody definitely opened it before me. it's way too clean on the inside and somebody marked the controllers plugs with different colours to distinguish them. Well, it's not a one of a kind thing, but it was fun to open it up; the insides are VERY compact!