Last Famicom game you played?

Started by Doc, July 30, 2006, 12:47:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeyCool

The only game I have sofar is Mike Tyson's Punch-Out (just got my first Famicom 2 days ago). I couldn't get past Soda Popinski on the Nintendo Online version. Got all the way to Super Macho Man on the first try on the Famicom. Attempted Tyson once but my Timing wasn't there after a couple decades of not playing it on a CRT with original hardware.

Gruixeeeeet

Now plugged:
FC AV, NES, SNES, N64 & GC
MD & DC
PS2
NG AES
Non-classic: NS & PS5

Ghegs

Probably inspired by the recently fansubbed GCCX episode where Arino plays Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on Famicom (actually TMNT II since the numbering went wonky in Japan) I went and played my copy of the game, which I had picked up largely for nostalgia's sake since I had the game back in the 80's. 1CCed the game right away, I'm not sure if I ever did that when I was a kid. But it is a very easy game, most regular enemies are killed with one hit from the A+B combo, and the majority of bosses fall to the same pattern of repeated jumpkicks.

Still pretty fun, tho.

Jedi Master Baiter

Is the Famicom version different gameplay-wise from the NES? The North American release has a stupid bug/feature where foot soldiers temporarily become invincible after the first hit (there's one kind of weaponed foot soldier who doesn't have this, but I forgot which one it was).

Edit: Okay, this answers my first question: https://tcrf.net/Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_II:_The_Arcade_Game#Regional_Differences

Ghegs

Quote from: Jedi Master Baiter on October 10, 2022, 12:30:26 pmIs the Famicom version different gameplay-wise from the NES? The North American release has a stupid bug/feature where foot soldiers temporarily become invincible after the first hit (there's one kind of weaponed foot soldier who doesn't have this, but I forgot which one it was).

Edit: Okay, this answers my first question: https://tcrf.net/Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_II:_The_Arcade_Game#Regional_Differences

Yeah, the temporary invincibility is still there, hence why using the A+B attack almost exclusively is a good thing. But that (and jump kick killing foot soldiers in one hit in the FC version) kind of works for me, as one of my biggest annoyances in beat 'em ups is how sometimes even the smallest enemies can take a ton of punishment. When your badass ninja warrior or 'roided up bodybuilder needs to do a three-hit combo, a roundhouse kick, a spinning lariat, and two izuna drops just to dispatch the most basic of enemies...it really kills the flow for me. So games like this, its sequel, Spartan X, etc. are more to my liking.

tentencanidae

Been playing through Double Dragon II on Fami.  Trying to get good at it again.  Controls aged poorly.  :-[
- remy333

astrotech1054

The last FC game I played was Rockman 2.

it is still a awesome game.  :)

Naka

Super mario bros Lost levels.
Really awesome game 8)

Jedi Master Baiter

September 20, 2023, 11:02:10 pm #2963 Last Edit: September 22, 2023, 09:52:21 pm by Jedi Master Baiter
So I tried getting into Higemaru Makaijima after seeing gameplay of arcade game Pirate Ship Higemaru and thought this game would be straightforward. :) Nope. :(

It starts out in open sea, all the doors to get to land are locked, there are some ships I can board, but alas! I can't understand what the guy tells me. And if I defeat some pirates, I get a CUCK KEY. So I try out this CUCK KEY but I can't find the CUCK door. I get the same text on every entrance I try.

WHERE'S THE CUCK ISLAND?! :gamer:

Edit: Made it to Cuck Island. The ethnic insensitivity is on fire here! :fire: :o

Also, I just realized I'm going to need to translate all the text. :blinky: Help is appreciated. :help:

Edit: Here's my butchered transcriptions (the 8-bit hiragana is kind of hard to read sometimes!)

Quoteびあどのたかうほしければ 3枚の石板集めるこだ
If you want to increase the height of the beer, collect 3 stone tablets? ???

Quoteどくろのしまにふるいほんあるいしい
There is a book on Skull Island

P

The first one seems to be missing too many characters to make sense:
"If you want biado no takau (?) you need to collect 3 stone tablets."

As for the second one, I guess "いしい" should be "らしい" ("it seems"). That would give:
"It seems there is an old book on skull island."

Jedi Master Baiter

Thanks.

By the way, what does this say?

You cannot see attachments on this board.

P

Not a clue. Looks like made-up characters, is it part of some sort of puzzle?

Jedi Master Baiter

September 28, 2023, 10:53:44 pm #2967 Last Edit: September 30, 2023, 10:42:36 pm by Jedi Master Baiter
Nah, probably just some glitched graphics. I think my cartridge was dirty. I'll be sure to blow really hard into it next time. :octorok: :redcart:

Edit: Finally made it to Mermaid Island! ;D But there is a lack of mermaids. :(

Anyway, these were the messages:
Quoteみずつみにおちないようにきをつけな
Be careful not to fall into the water

Quoteきゃぶてんびあどの はかをざがせ。
Look out for Captain Beardo.

P

If I may be picky, the first one should probably say みずうみ (lake) so it becomes "be careful not to fall into the lake".

The second one should of course be きゃぷてん ("pu" not "bu"). Haka means grave, を is the direct-object particle (meaning the direct target of the verb in the clause) and the verb sagase is imperative form (normally very rude) of sagasu meaning to search. The meaning is therefore:
"Search for Captain Beardo's grave."

Aha so now when we know that びあど is a name (Beardo or something) of an old now dead captain, I suppose the nonsense word "takau" from the last post should probably have been "takara" (treasure). ら and う looks kinda similar.
I suppose the full sentence looks like this:
"びあどのたからほしければ 3枚の石板集めることだ。"
Which means:
"If you want Beardo's treasure, collect 3 stone tablets."

Jedi Master Baiter

Ah I see, thanks. :-[ So no beer? :(

Anyway, completed Hebi Island (not sure what 'Hebi' means? ??? ) and the Ghosts 'n Goblins references are everywhere! Also, what a mouthful to  translate!

Quoteここには
まかいむらのたたかいで
にげだしたまものを,ふういんしてある
ちかつかぬほうがよい。
Here, in the battle of Makaimura, the lost gifts are buried (or blown away? :-\ ). It's better to stay away.

Quoteどくろのしまはしにんのしまじゃいきてかんれんぞ
You can't survive on the Skull and Crossbones Island

Quote from: Cyclops, after getting his arse handedこぞつ、あんしんするのはまだはやいぞ
おまえのじごくは、これからじまるのだ
われらのぼすがおまえをまっている。
It's still too early to feel safe. Your work begins now. Our boss is waiting for you.