Want to know how to dump and write FDS disks?

Started by JC, August 18, 2008, 09:47:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JC

August 18, 2008, 09:47:11 pm Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 09:47:21 pm by JC
Want to know how to dump and write FDS disks?
The top donor gets two free Famicom cartridges

133MHz has said he will teach all of us how to dump and write our own disks, offering a detailed tutorial in simple terms. But he needs our help! He needs an FDS, shipped to Santiago. If we can raise enough money, we can get him what he needs: a 7201 FDS, RAM adaptor, AC adaptor and disks.

This is an awesome project for Famicom World. Though there is information on the web about the FDSLoader and how to write disks, let's face it, few of us understand that crap. So, if we can collect enough money, we can start, as ericj said, "a network of trading & re-writing disks" at FW. 133MHz can provide us with invaluable information.

Here's the breakdown:

Working 7201 FDS = $20
RAM adaptor = $5
AC adaptor = $5
10 disks = $10
Shipping from Japan = $90 (EMS); $71 (SAL); $36 (Surface)

Total = $125 (EMS); $106 (SAL); $71 (Surface)

He needs an FDS with the 7201 chip. But because some of us own FDS's with the 3206 chip, if we want him also to teach us to modify the 3206 for dumping and writing:

Working 3206 FDS = $20
RAM adaptor = $5
AC adaptor = $5
Shipping from Japan (including a working 7201 FDS) = $170 (EMS); $108 (SAL); $50 (Surface)

Total = $230 (EMS); $168 (SAL); $110 (Surface)

While the "goal" is $230, for two disk systems and EMS, we can get two disks sytems and slow shipping for $110. 133MHz will get only what we can afford, so your donation matters. And just to try to get you to give a little more, I'll give two free Famicom cartridges to the highest donor.

AndyArcade, everyone's favorite eBay seller, is helping acquire the goods and will maintain the donations; he starts us off by waiving his commission fee and donating to the cause, together totaling nearly $25.

PM me your donation amount, and PayPal your donations to: [Removed]

JC

August 18, 2008, 09:57:31 pm #1 Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 10:05:37 pm by JC
Very right.

BTW: Let me know when that newsbox "ad" gets annoying. I'm used to keeping the site clean and uncluttered, so it's already getting on my nerves. It'll be gone once it's served its purpose.

son_ov_hades

FamicomFreak

Hey I'll have some extra money soon so I'll donate.
Retro Gaming Life  www.retrogaminglife.com

Sensei

Hey guys.  Alex and I want to help with this project too.  We don't really have funds for donating right now.  But we could help you get all the stuff cheaper.  We are willing to sell you the items at cost and get you a much better shipping price.

We can get you the 2 famicom disk systems, with the Adaptors (RAM and AC) and the 10 disks, shipped via AIR MAIL for a total cost of $150.

If the actual shipping is more than that we will throw in the difference as our further donation.

I hope this can help make your goal more obtainable.

NOTE: We have 8 disk systems in stock right now.  We will need to check the systems to make sure the model numbrs are correct.
Buy retro games from Japan www.risingstuff.com

Josh

Hm, well this is interesting.

Any chance you could tell us which Famicom carts you'd be giving away, JC?  8)

UglyJoe

Quote from: JC on August 18, 2008, 09:57:31 pm
BTW: Let me know when that newsbox "ad" gets annoying. I'm used to keeping the site clean and uncluttered, so it's already getting on my nerves. It'll be gone once it's served its purpose.

Already annoying me, but it's for a good cause.  I'll just put my ad-blocker to work and shut my mouth  :-X

manuel

JC

Quote from: Josh on August 19, 2008, 12:42:16 am
Any chance you could tell us which Famicom carts you'd be giving away, JC?  8)

I can't because I don't have them yet. They're coming from Japan this week, I think. I'll have around 75 from you to choose from, and I'm not gonna pull out the good ones, so if I end up with a dupe of a really good game, it'll be available to the highest donor.

But! let's remember that you've got to donate to have a chance!

ericj

Are you offering two carts or two disks? I remember you posted about a lot of disks you had purchased and disks seem more appropriate given the reason for the donation.   :)

JC

Yeah, I got a bunch of disks but I don't think I've got any disk dupes. For now, I'll stick with carts, like my post says. If I run into some loose dupe disks, I'll offer those up, too.

Donate.

ericj

I'm really looking forward to getting the FDS' and disks to 133MHz so we can get this knowledge compiled. 

I've made a donation to this effort.

If we all contribute at least a few bucks, we can make this happen. Whaddya say?  :)

Har the cat

damn, i dont hav money that i can miss. good luck!
Intergalactic cat says: Is this planet Earth?

JC

Thanks for the donations so far, everyone!

If you haven't donated yet, please do. We'll take any amount, $2, $5, $10...$50 -- whatever you can contribute.

MaxXimus

I made a donation a couple days ago. Ill try to make another one soon. Good luck. Maybe when 133mhz gets the fds.s and figures everything out one of the fds.s could be reauctioned off on the forum to make some money for another project.