Super Famicom Recommendations?

Started by shoggoth80, March 11, 2009, 11:24:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

shoggoth80

Hey all....
I always have my ears open for new title recommendations.
My SFC library is not nearly as large as my SNES, NES, or Famicom libraries.
I have in my collection:
Dragon Quest V
Dragon Quest VI
Elfaria
Shin Megami Tensei
Secret of Mana (Seiken Densetsu II)

On the way I have:
Assault Suits Valken
Super Ninja Kun (got hooked on this series playing the Famicom titles).

Are there any games that can be recommended?
I like space shooters, platformers, action games... the occasional beat 'em up, and do enjoy RPGs...though having foreign language faqs/walk throughs totally make life easier here... since I cannot read or speak Japanese. I might learn some basics one day just to make import gaming a little easier... but that is neither here, nor there for the moment.

Blue Protoman

BP's Domain
Visit my site today!
http://bpsdomain.b1.jcink.com/

Toneman

That's MOTHER 2 in his case.

My picks:
Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie
All Ganbare Goemon games
All Yu Yu Hakusho
Final Fantasy 4,5, and 6
Rockman 7
Rockman X, X2, X3, Soccer
Rockman & Forte
Bahamut Lagoon

Instagram: Kokujin804

Blue Protoman

Yeah, it's MOTHER 2 in Japan, but it's just plain aweseome.

I would also recommend Street Fighter II (whichever revision came last), and F-Zero.
BP's Domain
Visit my site today!
http://bpsdomain.b1.jcink.com/

shoggoth80

I used to rent F-Zero a lot. Dunno why I never got that game. Tons of fun. Though, I would get Earthbound as the SNES release... easier to read English... I'm surfing for foreign language faqs for Mother and Sweet Home as is. A bit harder to get through that way, but worth it, since they're neat for the collection, and have solid reviews and fan base.

Oooh...Rockman X.... DUH. That was a good series. Never owned many of them myself for the SFC/SNES, but I have a couple discs with some Mega Man X games on them for the PSX. Hard to go wrong with almost anything that is Mega Man/Rock Man.

Can I get some details about the Yu Yu Hakusho, and the Ganbare Goemon games? I liked the YuYu Hakusho cartoon, though I haven't watched a lot of it. SFII is almost a dead ringer... plus I heard that there were details left out of the US release...so that makes even better sense to me.

satoshi_matrix

Super Famicom?

F-Zero of course (insert shameless plug of my review here. Oh wait.....here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9o5_W6hn9k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5Kxaxqpbco&feature=channel_page

Super Famicom Wars (GOOD LUCK FINDING IT THOUGH LOL)
Super Famicom Wars was never sold in stores. To have a copy you have to have had a SFC data cartridge and mail it to Nintendo to get them to put it on there. I was extremely lucky to have found a SFC data cart that had Super Famicom Wars on it, and although I paid $60ish for it, I still lucked out as the seller was unsure of even what it was. If you can find it, get it. Its the missing link between the dated Famicom Wars and Advance Wars. If you like TBS, this is worth getting.

I also recommend Rockman & Forte (Megaman & Bass)
Until Megaman 9 was finally released, many Megaman noobs would repeatedly insist that this is Rockman 9. It's actually more like Megaman 8.5. The main difference from all the other classic series games is that you can play as Forte (Bass). Forte can dash, double jump, rapidfire, and shoot in any direction but down. 

Lastly, off the top of my head I recommend A little known gem of a platformer called Run Saber.

Seriously, Run Saber is like Strider for the SNES. Correction: make that Strider on acid on the SNES. Its for SNES or SFC, so no need to go looking for the SFC version and paying through the nose. Its an obscure little title that should cost no more than $5 or so. Get it.

Agent X

Games that I consider being "Must Haves" for SFC...

AREA 88
Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie
Ninja Warriors Again
AXELAY
Dracula XX
Super Mario World
Super Mario Kart
Star Fox
Street Fighter Zero 2
Rushing Beat
WILD GUNS
Hagane
Contra Spirits
Phalanx!
Run Saber
(Don't know if it was called that in Japan)

that's just what comes off the top of my head though.  I'm currently myself
in a Super Famicom buying spree, though I just made a damn good Mega Drive
for SFC trade with a guy I know, keeping only the titles on MD I couldn't ever live
without.  As of 2009, it's looking more and more like my pro MD self has gone over
to the SFC side of the force.  ***No doubt about it though, you really can't go wrong
on the Super Fami.
Gaming peaked in the 8-Bit & 16-Bit eras...
all else is just rehashes and insanity passing
itself off as "gaming."
~Agent X

nintendodork

I like to glitch old VHS tapes and turn them into visuals for live music events. Check out what I'm working on - www.instagram.com/tylerisneat

shoggoth80

Dracula XX

Did you mean Castlevania Dracula X? I've already got that one. When I said "modest SFC" I mean SFC only. Ha ha ha! Though I appreciate all recommendations, since the spirit is definitely there.

See, SNES....
I have...
Final Fantasy II and III
Mystic Quest
Paladin's Quest
Super Adventure Island
Frogger
Plok
Gradius III
Chrono Trigger
Illusion of Gaia
Legend of Zelda
Drakken
Mario Kart
Equinox
MK
MK II
Donkey Kong Country  and DKCII
Super Mario World
Secret of Mana

Ok...l don't remember all of them....
I have more NA SNES carts than Jap SFC. BUT, since I shamelessly rip out my region tabs... on my official SNES, and on the FC Twin... yeah... you get the idea.

Agent X

Well as far as I've known the game's title in Japan was
Dracula XX, just as it was Dracula X: Rondo of Blood for PCE, though
XX has proven to be a revisionist original redoing of the PCE game and not
so much a port.  Thus for the North American Region it was retitled to the
more common "Castlevania" title.  That's how I understand it anyhow, just
as one of the entries (in the series) was called Vampire Killer, which IMO
is what the series should have been called anyhow, as I never dug the play on
the name Transylvania.

I"ve only played up to stage 2 of XX today on my Super Famicom (it came in earlier
today) and strangely enough, I actually like the SFC version a bit more than the PCE
Super CD-ROM one that I coveted for so long.  Though it would be cool if Maria Renard
is somehow selectable in the SFC version too.  I only ever played the SFC/SNES XX
game for liek 5 minutes back in the late 90s so for me this is a brand new experience,
and I find it much more to my liking than Super Castlevania.

Quote from: shoggoth80 on March 12, 2009, 02:29:30 pm
Dracula XX

Did you mean Castlevania Dracula X? I've already got that one. When I said "modest SFC" I mean SFC only. Ha ha ha! Though I appreciate all recommendations, since the spirit is definitely there.

itself off as "gaming."
~Agent X

shoggoth80

I also find Dracula X much harder than many of the other Castlevania installments. Very fun, but it does take some work. I haven't even gotten all that far in it.

xyzzy32

The amazing Rondo of Blood was converted into one of the worst Castlevania games, Dracula X(X), in my opinion.

Quote from: shoggoth80 on March 12, 2009, 12:52:47 pm
I'm surfing for foreign language faqs for Mother and Sweet Home as is. A bit harder to get through that way, but worth it, since they're neat for the collection, and have solid reviews and fan base.

Both are certainly worth your time, but as for a solid fan base? I'm fairly sure Sweet Home is a largely unearthed gem.

As for text-light SFC/SNES recommendations:
Zelda: A Link to the Past
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario World
Pilotwings: if found at a low price, it's actually a highly enjoyable little simulator
F-Zero
Donkey Kong Country 1-2
Star Fox
SimCity
Mortal Kombat

Agent X

Quote from: Syzygy01 on March 13, 2009, 01:55:05 pm
The amazing Rondo of Blood was converted into one of the worst Castlevania games, Dracula X(X), in my opinion.

Really, why do feel that way?

I've owned the PCE "Rondo of Blood" several times between 1997 and 2005, and I still feel it's the best of the series both 2-D as well as 3-D... but I find the *different* yet same approach that is Dracula XX to be pretty good.  In fact I like it a lot better than VAMPIRE KILLER on the Mega Drive.  If you mean because the game is much shorter than the PCE one, I can see that... and there's going to be no contest in the audio department simply due to Rondo's CD-ROM versus SFC chip music.  But why do  you not like it? 

itself off as "gaming."
~Agent X

son_ov_hades

I agree the PCE game is by far superior, the SNES "version" is a piss poor. If it were called something else it'd be decent but to called it Dracula X is an insult.

mobiusclimber

I'm going to keep this SFC-only.

Doremi Fantasy
Ghost Sweeper Mikami
Violinist of Hamelin
Front Mission (granted this has a port on the DS)
Front Mission Gun Hazard
Traverse: Starlight & Prairie
Lady Stalker
Wizardry Bane of Cosmic Forge
Parodius Da
Ein no Filena
Puyo Puyo
Torneko's Mystery Dungeon (or whatever it's called)

I own about 2/3rds of these, the rest I've played thru emulators. All of em are great games tho a couple are probably hard to find in cartridge format.
Proud owner of Super Smash Games in Tacoma and Seattle