Technical and Repair Assistance

Started by b3b0palula, September 10, 2006, 01:08:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fredJ

June 12, 2011, 06:03:36 am #1410 Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 09:04:06 am by fredJ
I have problem with a disk system (actually  two, maybe it's the same problem).

The little screw that supposed to be seal with red stuff, it is a bit loose so it can be turned. So since nothing else seems wrong, I have turned it a bit, but it hasn't helped and I'm not sure what to do next.

How sensitive is that reading head? If it has been moved a bit once, it is possible for a person like me without a micrometer to set it straight?

Edit: I seemed to have fixed it a little, turns out that I had placed the reading head in the exact opposite position that it should have been, and now it works (some of the times). So I suppose the position of little red screw isn't hyper sensite.
Selling  Japanese games in Sweden since 2011 (as "japanspel").
blog: http://japanspel.blogspot.com

knux123

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/16/12062011204.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/233/12062011205.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/691/12062011206.jpg/
This is the board of my av modded famicom
For some reason, the video is all screwed up: wrong colors, distorted picture or like occupying the upper half of the screen, appearing cut off.

Spudman

Would like to extend the famicom controller wires but is there any good candidate wire that is good to use?

I'm not to bad with a soldering iron  :)

Needs to be done its driving me nuts  :crazy:
Close your eyes. Open your mind.

133MHz

US NES or SNES controllers have pretty long cables with the right amount of wires and a very similar look & feel. You could get a pair of trashed controllers for cheap to cannibalize their cables.

You can also buy multi-core cable at an electronics store, but most of the time it won't  the right color or thickness to match video game controller cables. YMMV.

Spudman

Thanks 133mhz i'll keep my eyes open next time i'm down the flea market  :)

Spudman

Hi guys,

Extended the controller wires but when i put everything back to test them i think i might have shorted an ic, the ground wire from the av mod most have come lose and when i had a look the ground wire was connecting two pins of the 74ls373  :'(

All ic's are getting 5v, could this have shorted the chip as there is no video or sound and i've replaced the transistor, resistors and cap  :(

133MHz

Does any of the ICs get hot to the touch?

Spudman

The ppu does but only a little bit more then my nes ppu.

RGJdave

Does anyone have a basic list of troubleshooting steps for the original famicom?

I've got an FC that displays a different colored screen depending on the cart I throw in.  Sometimes I get  random display of letters on the side of the screen, matrix style!

Any thoughts here greatly appreciated.

dave

fredJ

Well, I think it is broken.  :-\

You could try opening it and give everything a good rub with alcohol or some other cleaning fluid for electronics.
Selling  Japanese games in Sweden since 2011 (as "japanspel").
blog: http://japanspel.blogspot.com

MasterDisk

I think it's dirty, check both your cart and the pin slot.

Xious

Quote from: RGJdave on June 27, 2011, 07:07:28 pm
Does anyone have a basic list of troubleshooting steps for the original famicom?

I've got an FC that displays a different colored screen depending on the cart I throw in.  Sometimes I get  random display of letters on the side of the screen, matrix style!

Any thoughts here greatly appreciated.

dave

Basic flowchart for this problem:

Clean cartridge.cassette slot.
Check PPU
Check  CPU
Check SRAM

Spudman

Hi Guys,

Having a problem with hyper sports and hyper olympic on my scopian 8, i can select player but controls don't work on ether game, it just seems to be these games, is there any known problems with these games on clones?

Not gonna have my famicom motherboard back until next week so can't test on that and the power joy i brought from ebay has packed up  :'( not having much luck with any fami stuff :(

Cheers

Nick

mrdomino

i'm pretty sure the Famicom versions of Hyper Sports and Hyper Olympic both need the special Konami controller. your best bet is probably to find a pirate cart, the US Track & Field (which combines both games and doesn't need the controller) is really really common on multicarts. I'd imagine even pirates of the Japanese versions would be hacked to use standard controllers.
some of my stuff: twitter // super multi // handheld underground

Spudman

July 04, 2011, 02:13:07 am #1424 Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 02:23:58 am by Spudman
Crap i didn't know they needed there own controller  :'( wonder if i can make one  :question:

Thanks for the info mrdomino  :)

Well here's a pic of the controller, wonder how it's wired :question:

Post Merge: July 04, 2011, 02:23:57 am