Last Famicom game you played?

Started by Doc, July 30, 2006, 12:47:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

P

Metroid
After going around in Norfair to look for tanks to increase my chances a bit I stumbled uppon the high-jump boots and now I could finally get the Varia in Brinstar. After that I went to Kraid's hideout to pick a fight with him. When I reached his room I had 3 full energy tanks plus full energy in the power suit, 35 missiles, High-Jump and Varia.

I started shooting missiles but he kept shooting them down with his projectile horns. I turned to my old strategy and went up close to him and emptied my missiles in his face. He kept blocking most of them with his horns though. When I was out of missiles, I tried Issun's strategy with bombs. Being so close to him drained my energy tanks very fast, but I somehow managed to defeat him with 28 units of life energy left.
Next up is more powering up in Norfair and then Ridley...

Issun

Quote from: P on May 03, 2014, 06:54:04 am
Metroid
After going around in Norfair to look for tanks to increase my chances a bit I stumbled uppon the high-jump boots and now I could finally get the Varia in Brinstar. After that I went to Kraid's hideout to pick a fight with him. When I reached his room I had 3 full energy tanks plus full energy in the power suit, 35 missiles, High-Jump and Varia.

I started shooting missiles but he kept shooting them down with his projectile horns. I turned to my old strategy and went up close to him and emptied my missiles in his face. He kept blocking most of them with his horns though. When I was out of missiles, I tried Issun's strategy with bombs. Being so close to him drained my energy tanks very fast, but I somehow managed to defeat him with 28 units of life energy left.

Great going! On a side note, if you have the icebeam you can freeze one of his horns while it's a way from him then jump over it and unload missiles into him. Though my tactics are the same as yours, get close and shoot him in the face then bomb the crap out of him. Keep us posted mate!

nerdynebraskan

I played some Twinbee 3 this morning, and got into the fourth stage. This is really a great game.
Can Nintendo Age Beat Every NES Game in 2015?

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=140551

P

Quote from: Issun on May 03, 2014, 07:58:47 am
Quote from: P on May 03, 2014, 06:54:04 am
Metroid

Great going! On a side note, if you have the icebeam you can freeze one of his horns while it's a way from him then jump over it and unload missiles into him. Though my tactics are the same as yours, get close and shoot him in the face then bomb the crap out of him. Keep us posted mate!

I did freeze his horns, but I couldn't freeze the lowest flying horns, and then there's the curved horns shooting out from his back.

OK played some more Metroid.
Time to head in to the dreaded Norfair. It's the biggest part of the game and has tons of identical looking rooms. But I seemed to remember some parts of it and then I found the Screw Attack device! Now the enemies here aren't that bad anymore since a screw attack can take them all down in one hit! Then I found the Wave Beam. I don't want to go and pick up the Ice Beam again so this will have to do against Ridley. It's a great beam weapon but since getting the screw attack it's honestly not that useful anymore. They should have placed it much earlier in the game.

With these weapons and some more tanks in hand I finally found the entrance to Ridley's hideout. It's time to set the score with the dragon. Ridley's hideout was full of traps, false floors and strong enemies. But with the Screw Attack they are not really a problem anymore. Then I stood against Ridley. He breathed fireballs against me but I rolled under them, went up close and fed him a shower of missiles. I tried the Wave Beam too but I had a feeling missiles are stronger and I had lots of them so I switched back to missiles. This time I had much more energy tanks and missiles but this guy still felt much easier than Kraid as I didn't take much damage at all.
Now to take care of those metroids...

nerdynebraskan

I got my order from senseiman yesterday, and I spent much of last night and this morning/early afternoon cleaning them all up. I only had time to test the first three (pulled basically at random, because I just wanted to try them for a few minutes apiece): Flipull, Quarth, Tetris 2 + Bombliss. Puzzle game fever!

Zycrow

Since finishing Clash at Demonhead, I've been working on Faxanadu, and dear Palutena, I forgot how excellent was the soundtrack to that game. It's glorious. Has a great atmosphere, too. Fun story: When I was a kid, sometimes my mom would order refurbished NES games for me (I'm pretty sure she was ordering them straight from Nintendo?). I wanted Castlevania, but the person selling the games said they didn't have that one. However, she said she had one that "plays like Castlevania," and Faxanadu was what I got.

Deep down I still really wanted Castlevania, but Faxanadu definitely scratched an itch for me. The main character really does move around a lot like Simon Belmont, so it's still interesting to me that the saleswoman knew enough about the gameplay to make that recommendation.

Quote from: nerdynebraskan on May 04, 2014, 07:42:17 pm
I got my order from senseiman yesterday, and I spent much of last night and this morning/early afternoon cleaning them all up. I only had time to test the first three (pulled basically at random, because I just wanted to try them for a few minutes apiece): Flipull, Quarth, Tetris 2 + Bombliss. Puzzle game fever!

I've got an order from Senseiman coming in today with a lot of games I'm eager to try out. I actually look forward to the pre-gaming cleaning process - it's somehow cathartic.
Favorites: Castlevania, Metroid, Namco 18

nerdynebraskan

Yeah, I kind of like cleaning games too Zycrow. It kind of feels like I'm doing my small part in preserving the history of our hobby by preserving these original carts' working condition for a little while longer.

As for today, I continued to test my new lot in small chunks with brief playthroughs of Devil World, Pac Land, and Space Invaders.

Zycrow

Had a cleaning session and then tested out my haul from Senseiman, which included Devil World, Door Door, BInaryland, Super Mario Bros. 3, Ganbare Goemon, King Kong 2, Wai Wai World, and Solomon's Key.

Played several of them two-player with my wife, and I was pleasantly surprised at how much fun was the 2P mode for Devil World. For most of those older games I expect them to be two-player alternating, but this one was simultaneous. I'm also very excited about playing through Wai Wai World and Solomon's Key.

After that we finished up by playing some Dr. Mario head-to-head.

nerdynebraskan

Tonight, it was Hottaman, Magical Taruruuto-Kun, and Sensha Senryaku: Sabaku no Kitsune (Desert Commander).

P

Played a bit of Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun. Everything went fine and I didn't loose a life, until I got pummelled by Misuzu...

In the arcade version you beat her by pretending to run away and let her chase you and then suddenly do a backwards kick that she'll run straight in to, but it doesn't work on the Famicom version.

I managed to beat her once with jump kicks (dangerous because she can grab you if you are that close) but then another Misuzu appeared...

Nightstar699

Beat Gradius with a no-death run. Very proud of this because I'm generally not that good at shooters.

So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

nerdynebraskan

Impressive indeed, Nightstar! I can kind of see where some of those Konami games are almost *easier* if you can get to where you can no-death them, since you're kind of screwed if you lose all of your power-ups late in the game.

This morning, I started off my day with Gekitotsu Younku Battle, Sqoon, and Youkai Club.

Zycrow

Picked up a few NES titles while out and about yesterday, including Shadowgate, Zanac, Kabuki Quantum Fighter, and Phantom Fighter.

Phantom Fighter I grabbed because I hadn't heard of it or seen it for sale anywhere, and it was cheap. I was surprised to discover that it was based on a Japanese film (Reigen Doshi was the name of the film and the Famicom version of the game), and the American NES port feels very Japanese. Surprising from a time when NES publishers were keen to westernize whenever possible.

nerdynebraskan

Phantom Fighter was kind of mediocre, but Kabuki Quantum Fighter is a solid title. I think you'll like that one.

I'm still grinding through my package from senseiman. Today, I had my first taste of Shanghai II, as well as testing my new copies of Circus Charlie (which I'd only played on pirate multis) and Magical Taruruuto-Kun 2. I probably played Shanghai II for over an hour, when I'd really only meant to test it and move on. There aren't many games that I add to the permanent collection after my first playthrough, but this is going to be one of them.