Rules regarding selling so-called "repros"

Started by fcgamer, October 04, 2015, 09:56:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fcgamer

I think there should be some rules put in place in regards to the selling of modern "repros".  

While I don't think the selling of such cartridges necessarily has to be the end of the world, if you go onto Nintendo Age and other websites that fully support such items, you can see that it has become a clusterf**k of sorts, which has been slowly ruining the hobby (As I like to think of it, it is a bunch of kiddies making and having wet dreams over products and variants that never existed in the first place).  

My concerns about the modern "repros" are as follows:

1.  With today's technology, it is quite simple to be producing items that look convincingly like the originals.

2.  As with that above, a lot of "fans" are producing "variants" and what not (actually just taking artistic liberties with "repros") and it makes the situation very confusing at times, to attempt to determine if something is just a modern fan-product or something that was produced back in the day**

3.  Producing "repros" is damaging towards collectors and the value of their collections.  For some items, such as Super Mario Bros., bootlegs have existed for as long as the official game has existed.  On the other hand, for other items such as Huang Di, a lot of the value is in the fact that the game is fun to play, it is rare, and bootlegs of it don't exist.  Suddenly, some greedy bastard starts making repros to line his pockets, and a $50 game's value decreases to $10, if anyone even cares to buy an original anymore****

**Everyone always says that a true collector will be able to distinguish between a real and a fake, but that is simply just not the case, all the time.  I could point to dozens of items in my personal collection and ask FW members if they know if it is real or not, and people wouldn't have a clue.  

****This doesn't really matter for those that don't have a horse in the race, but for those that are collectors, of course they will be somewhat irked about this.  Furthermore, I just find it extremely sad that people have a need / want / desire to collect modern fakes of games...I mean, what is the point of collecting something if you could just ask Joe Shmoe to crank out ten copies, at will?  

RULES:

With that said, I think there should be some rules put in place about selling "repro" games.

1.  The words "repro" should be put visibly on the cartridge front label.  If this were done, I would have much less concern about "repros" being sold.  This is such a small request to be made, I honestly don't understand why anyone would have a problem with obliging to it...
Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com

jensma

What about translations? Translated games are altered, too. Furthermore - if it's a fan translation the seller of the game makes money with someone else's work.

fcgamer

Quote from: jensma on October 04, 2015, 10:09:46 am
What about translations? Translated games are altered, too. Furthermore - if it's a fan translation the seller of the game makes money with someone else's work.

I'll have to take a look at your website later, it looks like it could be somewhat interesting.

Regarding your question, I don't see as much of a problem with translations for a number of reasons (and many on other forums hold similar feelings / positions), namely:

a.  It adds value to the game (i.e. the game can now be enjoyed by those that cannot read (primarily) Japanese

b.  it is not nearly as much of a threat to those that collect the old games for the sake of collecting.  An English translation of a Japanese exclusive is not so likely to get confused for the real item.

Regarding the last part of "The seller of the game makes money with someone else's work", I personally feel it is a shitty scenario all around.

jensma

QuoteI'll have to take a look at your website later, it looks like it could be somewhat interesting.

Hahaha, don't expect too much. Most content is either not available for the public or in German :D

fcgamer

Quote from: jensma on October 04, 2015, 11:06:57 am
QuoteI'll have to take a look at your website later, it looks like it could be somewhat interesting.

Hahaha, don't expect too much. Most content is either not available for the public or in German :D

My minors study was in German and I studied at university there so...  ;)

80sFREAK

October 05, 2015, 12:10:01 am #5 Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 12:18:07 am by 80sFREAK
Looks like someone shit scared, that value of his "rarities" will bit the dust.

Hey, fcgamer, you should watch your language

Quotequick buck
so, whats the story here? Ah, i forgot, you are not interested in HOWTO  ???
Quotefuck you, man
corrected this, one, good boy  ::)
Quotesome greedy bastard
Saying person, who selling "$3 free shipping carts" for $$$  ;D

However, you looks very funny with your butthurt, so you can continue  ;D
I don't buy, sell or trade at moment.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

HVC-Man

What about repros of games that don't exist on Famicom in nature? Not counting old bootlegs.

80sFREAK

HVC-Man, don't bother, this guy have double standarts. It's ok for him to sell multicarts and other things, but when someone steped on "his territory"... This shit storm is kinda funny and it will become offensive, i believe mods will sort out mess.
But my question is how hackers at that time were able to hack those games?(c)krzy

hvc01

Perhaps a forum for 80sFREAK and fcgamer only?. Really guys just  :-* and make up. A sticky on the for sale thread explaining what an authentic cart looks like might be of some use though I have yet to purchase a bootleg that I am aware of. Then unfortunately it is up to the community what they would like to spend money on and there is not much that can be done to stop that.

Ghegs

80sFREAK

fcgamer

Quote from: 80sFREAK on October 05, 2015, 12:14:13 am
HVC-Man, don't bother, this guy have double standarts. It's ok for him to sell multicarts and other things, but when someone steped on "his territory"... This shit storm is kinda funny and it will become offensive, i believe mods will sort out mess.

I am not the one copying unlicensed games and calling them "bootlegs".  Things like Huang Di, those aren't bootlegs, are just unlicensed originals.  And it's the same reason you refuse to answer my question to you about games like Videomation.  If the game is a bootleg by your standards, then all Camerica games are also bootlegs, but that makes the NES version of the game equally a bootleg...

It is one thing to be selling historical items, it is another thing to be cranking out your own modern fakes and selling them. 

Post Merge: October 05, 2015, 03:03:50 am

Regarding double standards:  That is 80sFREAK with the double standards.  He was whining about others making "repros" (of unreleased games, that never saw the light of day and thus could never be confused / compared with originals) without the word "reproduction" on it, yet when I've asked him if HIS "repros" are going to adhere to the same standard, both publically and privately, he has always ignored the question.  That is a huge double standard.

Also, regarding him saying about $3 carts or whatever he is rambling about:  Sometimes I get carts for cheap, other times I pay a large amount for them myself, it all depends on the cart and the situation.  Sometimes I break even on the carts, sometimes I make a small profit, sometimes I lose money when all is said and done.  If I sat and figured out the amount of money made compared to money lost, I would probably still be in the red.  So 80sFREAK is just making assumptions based on nothing more than his own ignorance.

80sFREAK

Quote from: fcgamer on October 05, 2015, 02:59:51 am...  And it's the same reason you refuse to answer my question...

QuoteSo 80sFREAK fcgamer is just making assumptions based on nothing more than his own ignorance.

So... it's all about money.  fcgamer, you are just so addicted to "monopoly" to sell bootlegs, it's a shame.  ::)

Mods asked to ignore your posts and i'm trying, but your butthurt is so sweet and juicy  ;D

P.S. fcgamer, you should chase aliexpress  :o

fcgamer

Huh, monopoly?   :o  I think you should improve your comprehension skills.

http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=10007.0

http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=6217.0

There are many others selling unlicensed carts, old bootlegs, etc. on here, and I've purchased carts from several of these guys before, and don't really care at all about whether they sell their wares or not.

I also remember someone on here that was peddling Aliexpress wares and passing them off as rares and at high prices, and they had been told to take a hike.

But none of that matters for this discussion.

My issue with you boils down to the following:  You want to make modern copies of unlicensed games, house them in generic game cases (and most of the unlicensed carts were housed in generic cases when first produced / sold), and then sell them for money.  The things I see wrong with this idea, ***as a collector and also gaming historian***, are as follows:

1.  First and foremost, the games you would be producing would flood the market and cause confusion for those that want to collect the genuine game carts.  Unlike licensed Famicom games (where it is generally **very** easy to distinguish between a real and a bootleg),"reproing" carts and creating something similar to the unlicensed ones in circulation would be akin to all of the Lickle, Gimmick, etc repros floating around out there...not good for those that are trying to get the originals.

Because the game cases used by unlicensed makers changed over time (as an example, C&E used several different case designs, depending on the print run...the initial run is a special C&E shell, the later run is as generic as many pirate carts), making "repros" of rare unlicensed games and housing them in unlicensed/bootleg shells is the same as making a 1:1 Gimmick repro of a 1:1 Lickle repro.  I honestly feel the only reason why less people here have been commenting on the issue is because as a whole, less people tend to collect the unlicensed Famicom games.  But even holding that as true, it doesn't make it more acceptable to copy and do, as it just hurts collectors that want authentic carts in their collections.

2.  I find it extremely telling of your intentions that you are so unwilling to address any of the issues posted your way.  When asked if you would write "reproduction" on the label (an expectation that YOU saw fit when others were making "repros", you refused to answer, ignoring my comments in threads and also in the PM I sent you.  When you refuse to address other measures to be taken so that your products couldn't be confused with legit versions, once again, I heard crickets.

I have been trying to reach out to discuss the matter like two adults, to find a solution that would satisfy every party involved, but your attitude is not helping matters any.

80sFREAK

Sorry, fcgamer, i have no issues with you, so, please, keep your walls of text.

I'm very pleased by your "flood the market" and, yes, right now i making a new slice of history.